Impossible for thin girls to loose weight?

Options
Hello! Im a thin girl who just want to loose some weight (like 6 pounds). But as I started to count kcal I realized that I never ever could eat more than 1200 kcal per day, and so im always like 400 kcal under my NET. And I read everywhere that is really unhealthy and that u wont loose weight if you dont eat atleast 1700 kcal per day. But I dont think I will loose any weight by eating more than I did before.

And btw - Im a thin girl but not too thin and I definetly do not have any eating disorders.

Thank for any respons Im totally confused!

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    What's your height and current weight (if you don't mind me asking) :smile:
  • ThinGirlGoFit
    Options
    What's your height and current weight (if you don't mind me asking) :smile:

I'm 166 cm and my weight is 53 kg. I know that it is not much but my body fat is distributed on the wrong places, only on my belly and my legs are really thin, so for this summer I want to look fit and the only way is to loose those few kg I have on my stomach. :)
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    It is difficult--but not impossible- for thin ladies to lose weight. There's a lot of support for petite (or thin) women on here too, so that helps.
    When I started, I only had about 15 pounds I wanted to lose. It was a long time to lose it. But I had to figure out the right workouts, and my correct calories/foods. ( I mostly do circuit training 5 days a week (Jillian Michaels workouts) mostly, as the combo of weights/cardio/abs has been the most effective for my body. If I get bored I also do Turbo Fire, which is fun.)
    I also tried to figure out my food trouble areas. I don't cut out a lot, but really limit "bad" foods, and have added more healthy ones. Hope this helpful!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    just tone up..... it's not a weight thing
    ur 18 ,the fat on your body is essential for growth

u just need to shape up ur muscles to those nice shapes
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    just tone up..... it's not a weight thing
    ur 18 ,the fat on your body is essential for growth

u just need to shape up ur muscles to those nice shapes

Agreed. Exercise - preferably with weights. You'll see the results quickly.
    You will, however, have to eat more. Check out other people's diarys for ideas (preferably people your own age). Food is good - it is a fuel that gives us energy to think and do. It's just important that we eat the right type of food.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have to say that those 6 lbs will come off wherever they feel like it and not necessarily your stomach. Rather than trying to lose weight I would try to tone up. I haven't lost any weight the last 4 or so weeks but I lost about 4" of my arms, thighs, hips, tummy, waist, neck and chest. Make sure you measure when you start exercising. It's about how you look, not how much you weigh.
  • ThinGirlGoFit
    Options
    It is difficult--but not impossible- for thin ladies to lose weight. There's a lot of support for petite (or thin) women on here too, so that helps.
    When I started, I only had about 15 pounds I wanted to lose. It was a long time to lose it. But I had to figure out the right workouts, and my correct calories/foods. ( I mostly do circuit training 5 days a week (Jillian Michaels workouts) mostly, as the combo of weights/cardio/abs has been the most effective for my body. If I get bored I also do Turbo Fire, which is fun.)
    I also tried to figure out my food trouble areas. I don't cut out a lot, but really limit "bad" foods, and have added more healthy ones. Hope this helpful!

Thanks for the great respond!
    yes I also work out almost every day but I'm not really an athletic and would prefer to change my eating habits.
    No I don't cut out a lot either - I just don't eat any bad things like soda or chips and tries to eat a lot of vitamins and real good food. But is it really dangerous to eat less than 1200 kcal per day? I don't want to get any health problems!
    Thanks again!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm 166 cm and my weight is 53 kg. I know that it is not much but my body fat is distributed on the wrong places, only on my belly and my legs are really thin, so for this summer I want to look fit and the only way is to loose those few kg I have on my stomach. :)

First, have your body fat percentage tested professionally. You don't want to lose to below a good percentage. It's really bad for you in the long run.

The healthier way to do this is to tone up the areas that you're bothered by, which means increasing muscle. I don't mean "bodybuilder" type muscle, just something to round off the areas that are very thin and dense up the areas that aren't.

Look at the pictures on the thread "gained x pounds, same swimsuit". That's the type of shaping you want to try for (you don't HAVE to go for all the definition if you don't want to).

And, yes, you might gain a little actual weight in the process. But you'll be healthier.

PS: I don't want to judge anyone or make any judgement based on a grainy profile picture, and I don't want to question your decisions about how you want to shape your own body, but if your "problem spots" are things like wrinkles in the tummy when you sit down, etc, please understand that these are healthy "problem spots" that you really don't want to get rid of except by toning. Don't compare your real-world and beautiful-looking (from your profile picture) self to an airbrushed magazine photo.
  • delikium
    Options

First, have your body fat percentage tested professionally. You don't want to lose to below a good percentage. It's really bad for you in the long run.

The healthier way to do this is to tone up the areas that you're bothered by, which means increasing muscle. I don't mean "bodybuilder" type muscle, just something to round off the areas that are very thin and dense up the areas that aren't.

Look at the pictures on the thread "gained x pounds, same swimsuit". That's the type of shaping you want to try for (you don't HAVE to go for all the definition if you don't want to).

And, yes, you might gain a little actual weight in the process. But you'll be healthier.

PS: I don't want to judge anyone or make any judgement based on a grainy profile picture, and I don't want to question your decisions about how you want to shape your own body, but if your "problem spots" are things like wrinkles in the tummy when you sit down, etc, please understand that these are healthy "problem spots" that you really don't want to get rid of except by toning. Don't compare your real-world and beautiful-looking (from your profile picture) self to an airbrushed magazine photo.

I agree here
    It may not be fun to do all those exercises but
    You might get heavier....but you'll get a healthier athletic look.... like a dancer
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need to lose weight. Pick up some weights and lift heavy at the gym. No, you will not turn into a man. But it will help the shape of your body dramatically. You can even gain weight and your body fat will look like it's in the right places if you weight train appropriately.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    LOSE!!!!

tumblr_leftkrHJkw1qf8yek.gif
  • ThinGirlGoFit
    Options
    Thanks for all ur answers! Well I do work out to shape up my muscles and I would love to get stronger and larger legs. But I also like my legs as they are, its really the fat on my belly which is my problem. My mom has the same problem so I don't think it will be better by time.
    I don't have any problems at all with my weight - I would love to weigh like 60 kg if only the fat was placed equally around my body. :/ But it doesnt so I really cant gain any weight because it wont look healthy!

But so do you think that I should keep on eating like normal - just a little healthier - and try loosing the fat by more exercises?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the weight training thing. I'm also a thin person (now) who thought I needed to lose weight, when in reality I needed to gain muscle in order to look/be leaner.
  • mshores11
    mshores11 Posts: 2
    Options
    It is not impossible to lose weight for a thin person but you cannot spot lose weight meaning your body decides when and where you lose the weight. I think it is better to focusing on feeling good and toning up. I have been doing the insanity workout and have lost weight and toned up. If you workout and eat more it helps you to lose weight because your body is not in starve or save mode. I try to eat 5-6 times per day. 3 meals with small snack in between. I have had good results. Girls are often taught to skip meals to lose weight and not to train hard because they will look like a man. Weight training mixed with cardio works for toning up. Take measurements and don't be obsessed with the scale as muscle weighs more than fat.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all ur answers! Well I do work out to shape up my muscles and I would love to get stronger and larger legs. But I also like my legs as they are, its really the fat on my belly which is my problem. My mom has the same problem so I don't think it will be better by time.
    I don't have any problems at all with my weight - I would love to weigh like 60 kg if only the fat was placed equally around my body. :/ But it doesnt so I really cant gain any weight because it wont look healthy!

But so do you think that I should keep on eating like normal - just a little healthier - and try loosing the fat by more exercises?

As most others here have said, focus more on the TYPE of exercise. Start lifting weights, and don't be afraid to lift heavy. I lift heavy, and as you can see from my profile pic I don't look like a man (at least I don't think I do, :laugh: ). It's not an issue of losing weight but changing body composition. As others have said, if you tone up and gain lean muscle mass your weight on the scale might go up but your measurements will decrease.

Also, you unfortunately can not spot treat fat, so doing a million hours of just ab workouts won't magically erase belly fat.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Noooo. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's called "skinnyfat." There's a lot of people on MFP who had a similiar issue like yours and when they picked up heavy weights, they looked way better and even the belly fat was gone. Try to look around the boards if you don't believe me (I'll go look for one too). You should find some nice results.
  • delikium
    Options
    ur not really reading our answers

when your muscles are shaped you will see them through ur belly fat
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but I agree with everyone else. I am starting lifting on Monday.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    If you are eating under 1200/day, and have been for a long time, it is very likely that your metabolism has slowed significantly. If your body doesn't have enough calories to function it will hold on to everything you eat and it will resist losing weight. Find out your BMR using the calculator or here or one of the many available online and try eating closer to that number.
    I agree with what everyone has said about toning. Even if you don't lose any weight, your legs will become more muscular and your tummy will tone and flatten so your weight will look more evenly distributed. Eating more will be essential to having the energy to tone your muscles and the fuel to recover from workouts.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm thin too (172 centimeters and 55.3 kg) and I'll tell you that it's not impossible,but it's unnecessary if you're currently healthy, don't mess with your weight, it could mess up your metabolism.
    If you really really want to lose, you have two options:
    -reduce your calories even more and develop an eating disorder (clearly a bad option)
    -eat more (like 1600-1800 cals) and exercise a ton for a while, then reduce your cals to what you normally eat once more. you might be the same weight at the end but you'll be more toned and you won't have a "belly". Somehow I really don't you have a belly right now though.