Pain in my hands when lifting weights…HELP!

Options
I’m doing Chalean Extreme and I’m in the Push month where I need to be lifting as heavy as I can with low reps. My issue isn’t that I can’t lift the heavy weights but my hands end up in a lot of pain from holding on to 20+ pounds. I’m trying to not over grip the weights and I know I could go heavier, but I just can’t seem to be able to hold on to the heavy weights. I've tried wearing gloves and they don't seem to help me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have any injuries or arthritis in your hands (do they bother you at other times or when doing repetitive motions?), it's probably just going to be a matter of time. Grip strength takes time to build. I had similar issues when I first started but once I developed some strength and built some callouses, there's no real problem anymore.

Only thing I could suggest is maybe doing grip strength exercises in your spare time to try to help develop it faster. I'm not sure how well that works though, I just took it slow, myself.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is it on the surface of your palm it within the joints?
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    what part of the hand..around the wrist or palms?
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    theres this stuff you can buy
    its called Dry hands gripping lotion
    alot of pole dancers and weight lifters use this in my area
    its like liquid chalk and a little goes along way
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Need to know.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Need to know.

yea...cause I know what to do when it's around the wrists...as for the palms...I have to research what to do..because I only have palm issues when I am maxing..
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! My dad has issues with his hands that is kind of like carpal tunnel, but it's more in his fingers joints that stop him from being able to close his hand and keep it closed. On some days after I lift (like today), I can't hardly grip anything like a cup. I've tried to determine which machines are doing it to me, but I haven't been able to. I wonder if using the grip strengtheners would help my situation?
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I have the same problem! My dad has issues with his hands that is kind of like carpal tunnel, but it's more in his fingers joints that stop him from being able to close his hand and keep it closed. On some days after I lift (like today), I can't hardly grip anything like a cup. I've tried to determine which machines are doing it to me, but I haven't been able to. I wonder if using the grip strengtheners would help my situation?

probably so...you are young enough where you can improve the strength of your squeeze...you could use that squeeze ball thing and work on that while you are at work or something...

I too have issues with my wrist...I put too much torque on it during a lift months ago...made it painful to bench...

I was recommended this : : Glucosamine Chondroitin

I take that everyday...and I don't feel the pain as much...takes a while to kick in...like a week or two..You can get it from vitaminshoppe
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    I am in the Push month of CLX to, Josalyn. I find that I have the same problem. I think my issue is the grip strength. I'll try using 25 lbs for squats alone, but my hands don't seem strong enough to handle the weight. IDK. So, I do lessen the weight I use for certain things. I try not to over-grip the weights, but even my forearms get sore once in awhile. I'm interested in others opinions to.
  • JosalynSmith
    JosalynSmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My wrist and palms feel fine, and I don’t have any injuries or arthritis. So I think it might be my grip strength. I will have to try and develop that. My husband has a few grip strength devises that I squeeze, I can start using those. I hope that working on my grip strength everyday will help, but I don’t want to overdo it. Is everyday too often?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My wrist and palms feel fine, and I don’t have any injuries or arthritis. So I think it might be my grip strength. I will have to try and develop that. My husband has a few grip strength devises that I squeeze, I can start using those. I hope that working on my grip strength everyday will help, but I don’t want to overdo it. Is everyday too often?
    If it's your grip, it's to do with the strain on your tendons more than anything and is just something you improve over time.

Just do it every couple of days until it starts to ache/become harder and carry on for a couple more minutes in that discomfort zone. You can't injure yourself as when you near excess you simply won't be able to squeeze the thing any more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I am in the Push month of CLX to, Josalyn. I find that I have the same problem. I think my issue is the grip strength. I'll try using 25 lbs for squats alone, but my hands don't seem strong enough to handle the weight. IDK. So, I do lessen the weight I use for certain things. I try not to over-grip the weights, but even my forearms get sore once in awhile. I'm interested in others opinions to.

Your forearms being sore is not surprising. Some of the muscles used in grip strength are actually in the forearm itself, not the hand. Luckily grip strength develops fairly quickly, just keep doing it. I used to have similar pains but now I can deadlift hundreds of pounds and hold onto the bar without any problem. You'll be able to lift those 25lb dumbbells with one finger soon enough.
  • JosalynSmith
    JosalynSmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If it's your grip, it's to do with the strain on your tendons more than anything and is just something you improve over time.

Just do it every couple of days until it starts to ache/become harder and carry on for a couple more minutes in that discomfort zone. You can't injure yourself as when you near excess you simply won't be able to squeeze the thing any more.

Thank you! :)
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    Thanks, DopeItUp! I am hoping to be holding onto those 25 lbs before long to! I just push through it, while there are times I do downgrade weight if it becomes to much. I'm def going to keep working ont it.
  • adairt1
    Options
    I hate to revive a dead thread BUT one thing that someone could do to help is use weightlifting gloves with wrist straps. Wrap the strap around the bar you are gripping and it will ease some of the tension on the fingers. I sometimes find it VERY difficult to make a fist the day after lifting heavy.