"Forcing" food on you...

Options

Replies

• mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ugh my Mother is like that. She's constantly "oh just have one glass of wine, oh just have a small bowl of ice cream".

NOOOOO!! I don't WANT it.

She's on here actually, hope she doesn't see this :blushing:

I ALWAYS want the wine...
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I tell them it's fine I will take them but please know I am going to throw them away, every last one the second I get to a trashcan.
  • elorei
    elorei Posts: 6
    Options
    Agree with MassiveDelta. Take them and give them to someone who needs calories. Or throw them away.

If you do throw them away make sure they see you do it...problem solved for next time :)

Exactly! After the third time they don't want to hear no, say "Thanks!" and drop them into their trash. Sure it isn't the nicest way to do it, but sometimes the fix is a hammer if the problem is a nail.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have chickens and feed all that stuff to them. They make me eggs which I eat a lot of. I also have a compost bin that I used in my garden. Just turn it into something else. : )
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, food pushers!! I think everyone has them in their lives! I just say "If I take that home I'll eat it, so NO THANK YOU." It's the truth. If their feelings are hurt that's their problem not mine.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    thankfully since I am forced to eat gluten free I have an easy way out---I tell them I'm allergic (which it's NOT an allergy but it's the easiest way to explain it). I would say use that as a white lie in the future...as soon as you say that it usually clams them right up. No one needs to know that you aren't. Of course if they know you well they may know you are not allergic but it's a good one for acquaintances/strangers
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when people attempt to force food on you.

My husband and I had a group meeting last night wherein a couple (our good friends) brought a large store-bought tub of bakery cookies. Very few cookies were eaten over the course of the meeting. The couple who brought them asked us to take them home. We politely said, "No, thank you." They insisted that we take it. We said, "No." They said that we didn't have to take them all -- just a little doggie bag. We said "No." They said, "Oh come on!"

Good grief!! My husband and I left the meeting feeling guilty for not taking it off their hands.

It was even more frustrating because this couple has been eating healthy and dieting for a few years (they're doing awesome!) and the routinely turn down offers of food or desserts. I was really surprised that they were giving us such a hard time about it.

Take them then drop them off at a shelter

That is a great idea, didn't think of that one.

I belong to the neighborhood pool committee. There are 3 ladies and 2 guys on the committee and when we meet the ladies have gotten in their heads to out due one another in serving homemade deserts. It went from cookies to full blown cheese cakes. The meetings last for a couple of hours and usually happens before dinner. I only have so much will power but I will try that suggestion next time.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It was even more frustrating because this couple has been eating healthy and dieting for a few years (they're doing awesome!) and they routinely turn down offers of food or desserts. I was really surprised that they were giving us such a hard time about it.
    One of the secrets of eating healthily is to severely restrict your intake of foods such as cookies. Clearly these are smart people!

Personally, I often take "unhealthy" foods to meetings etc. because it's my chance to just have one.

Usually, there are many many people who don't care about their diet, who are delighted to take them off my hands, but I don't like wasting them and I CERTAINLY can't afford to take them home.

You just need to let these friends know that you too are now "one of them" when it comes to eating healthily and they're going to have to find other people to pass their junk onto.

No need to feel guilty, it's war out there! :bigsmile:
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You say they brought a "large tub" so maybe it was just more then they knew they could eat before it goes bad? My family is real bad about overcooking so we always try to get people to take food home, but we're not forceful. We just want it to be eaten instead of trashed.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I rarely have people force food on me but after the second "oh come on; take them" I probably would've just taken them and given them to a friend or family member. It's not that big of a deal.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It is very demanding at all of my family's houses... Mom is the number one offender... I actually had to stop going over for dinner because she takes it to such a personal level of attack its rediculous.

Asking every five minutes the same question and for some reason, the 'no thank you' doesnt sink in everytime. And when she gets nasty and starts telling me what a fool I am for listening to my doctors who obviously want to make my life miserable and me being stupid enough to believe them, ARGHHHH Got so fed up with it that both my husband decided that having dinner there will no longer happen again. We had to do the same thing with my MIL!!!!

Im not making anyone happy except myself... if they cant understand, then they are not in the picture when it comes to meals together.... plain and simple.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Instead of just saying no, I would have clearly said WHY I was saying no. Like instead of just "no thanks," it would have been "no thanks, I'm trying to eat healthier and cookies are not part of my plan" OR "no thank you, I'm eating healthier so the cookies would go to waste at my house." That way you give them a reason you're turning them down (and they should understand if they've been eating better too).

If they still insisted, I'd bring them to work and leave them out for my co-workers who LOVE their junk food :)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options

Personally, I often take "unhealthy" foods to meetings etc. because it's my chance to just have one.

if by "unhealthy" you mean "those foods it's only appropriate to eat in small quantities" then I'm right with you....
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I would have taken them and given them to a homeless person on a corner. It may not be the healthiest thing but it may be the only thing they got that night.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Politely take it if they insist. Throw it away when you get home. Problem solved.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    change can be a challenge, there are times when me and my wife would argue since i eat selectively. but now she won't bother me anymore and supports me. you just have to deal with any problems that comes along. people always makes their own expectations and assumptions
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ugh this reminds me of my friend's family, they are Italian and always forcing me to eat this and that.
  • crystal82dawn
    crystal82dawn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah but if I took it home I would say o well maybe I could have one..... I love anything sweet and just say I'll do better tomorrow. I can not have sweets in the house or I eat them. No self control.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

if by "unhealthy" you mean "those foods it's only appropriate to eat in small quantities" then I'm right with you....
    Yes, the quotation marks which I used in my post were not meant to represent a quoted portion of speech, they were used in the context of signalling the ironic or unusual use of a word.

Obviously one item cannot be considered unhealthy if taken in isolation, unless it contains substances such as cyanide.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Its good habit to have to refuse food from "food pushers." My mom used to put food in the house in which she KNEW I would eat in order for me to "eat more." It took me a while to look the other way. Its not easy because I love to eat, but I am def learning.