Dr Oz speaking on Brown Rice & Whole Grain/Wheat...

Options

Replies

• DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    good one...LMAO
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    stocks must be down on white bread...
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i use brown rice, b/c i prefer the taste

but i use white bread cuz its cheap ( i do not eat sandwiches everyday, maybe if i did i would care more..lol)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a TOOL....
    Tool is an awesome band, Dr. Oz is a joke \m/

^^ +100000

AGREED 100%... TOOL is THE best band period. FTW!!!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    White or wheat.To someone with celiac disease they are both equally terrifing :noway: :laugh: .. I think it's all bad personally because of the way it has been genetically modified into some freak-a-zoid version of what the grain originally started out being, and corn too for that matter.The fact that 1 of out every 100 people have celiacs , but only 5%are ever diagnosed and the lasted numbers are saying that 8 ot out every 10 people have some sort of sensitivity to wheat but most don't know is enough to convince me... as far as white or brown rice.. I assume brown is the healthier option..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    edit?picture=3420099
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think I heard once that whole WHEAT and whole GRAIN are two different things as well. Supposedly, whole WHEAT is still more processed than whole GRAIN. Sounds silly to me, but that's what I heard. At any rate, I still eat bread, but I eat it in moderation (not more than one or two servings/day). I also look at the label before I buy. If it doesn't have AT LEAST 3g of fiber per serving (I prefer 5g or more), I don't buy it. I don't eat rice at all because I'm not a fan.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread has some extra fiber and protein and white bread has a little extra fat, but for the most part, it is the same thing. Neither is particularly bad. But I am among the school that refuses to believe that any food is bad. I prefer the whole wheat for the added nutrition and because of taste. But if you don't like it, and prefer the white bread, you're not losing too much nutrition opportunity with that choice. Just eat it in moderation.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    35l8qj.jpg
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some sort of disease that makes them bad for you, there is nothing wrong with brown rice or whole grain breads. Nor is there anything wrong with white rice and white bread.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    White or wheat.To someone with celiac disease they are both equally terrifing :noway: :laugh: .. I think it's all bad personally because of the way it has been genetically modified into some freak-a-zoid version of what the grain originally started out being, and corn too for that matter.The fact that 1 of out every 100 people have celiacs , but only 5%are ever diagnosed and the lasted numbers are saying that 8 ot out every 10 people have some sort of sensitivity to wheat but most don't know is enough to convince me... as far as white or brown rice.. I assume brown is the healthier option..

Do you have an actual source for these "facts?"
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    35l8qj.jpg

LMAO^^

I'm to new to have an opinion.....:noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think part of the argument is that it has the same glycemic index as white bread, but obviously the extra fiber is good for you. Who knows, everyday there is a new theory. We all have to find what works for us.
    If that's the argument, it's a faulty one.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    wash it down with the arsenic apple juice :)
  • Rosa10
    Rosa10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually like whole grains better than the processed version.... But I try to limit the abount of carbs I take in ....

Oh and Dr. Oz is very creepy....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "whole grain" ain't what it used to be....a few years back, before the preponderance of whole grain products were on the market, whole grain meant that the whole of the grain was used, more or less as is. Now, every other product at the grocery store is whole grain and they don't look or taste at all different from their original refined versions (think fruit loops) so how can this be? Manufacturers have amped up their processes up to technically use the whole grain- meaning all the peices, but they grind and process the heck out of it so it might as well be refined. Because they've refined it. The end result products are essentially refined with a little bit of extra fiber, which is good. But don't get caught in the trap of thinking that that little bit of fiber makes an otherwise refined product a health food.

My rule of thumb is that it only "counts" as a whole grain if it physically looks like a whole grain- like rolled oats, quinoa, brown rice, etc. I try to get the bulk (haha) of my grains from those type of grains. I don't think that you have to completely eliminate breads unless you want to or have a medical condition warranting it- but just don't get caught up in the hype and eat too much of it because you've been made to believe that whole grain products are wonderful. I eat a couple bagels a week and use tortillas regularly and would never give either of them up completely.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    First off........do not pay attention to what Dr. Oz says....he's an idiot! Second, whole wheat isn't much different from white bread. Whole grain or even better, sprouted grain is where you get more bang for your buck. I love sprouted bread. It is a living grain, has way more fiber and protein.......they sell it at most grocery stores (trader joe's, raleys/bel air both carry it) either on the shelf in the natural foods section or in the freezer. They even make sprouted grain tortillas.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    drozquack.png
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    1670139_2921.jpg
  • judge51182
    judge51182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between whole wheat and whole grain. Whole wheat is just as bad as white bread whole grain and completly different story. Whole grain carbs (i.e. whole wheat bread quinoa etc)are extremly healthy for you due to its fiber content. Fiber is slowly digested and therefor keeps you fuller longer. You also dont have the high and lows with your blood suger levels. Whole wheat does not have the fiber and has a lot more sugar. Carbs are not an enemy as long as you have the fiber to off set it. When you are buying your carbs from the market look at the label and make sure it has atleast 6 gms of fiber. Fiber is the "magic pill" so to speak!