Help! ED Recovery, metabolism, calories

Options
OK So according to my BF%, what weight I want to be etc. I am supposed to be eating between 1788 and 2015 calories depending on my exercise. That scares me, alot. This is what fattofitradio.com told me when I did the military body fat calculator/ bmr etc. So my question is.....If I'm 5' 6" and 122 pounds and have struggled with bulimia for years on an off but have been in recovery and purge free for a month and a week, would my metabolism be anywhere hgh enough to eat that and lose weight? Also how do I know what my activity level is? MFP says if I am on my feet alot during the day I am lightly active but moderatley active is on my feet most of the day. If I sit alot during the day but go to the gym 4 times a week for about 90 minutes hardcore does that mean I'm lightly active or moderate?? Other calculators say if I workoout 1-3 ties a week Im lightly active and 3-5 I'm moderate so I'm leaning towards moderate but then I'm worried my metbolism is still slow!! AGHHHHHHH..This whole this is freaking me out!! I am vegan and eat very healthy foods btw..check out my diary, yesterday was a free day:)

Replies

• fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" with a goal weight of 105 and you're in "ED Recovery?" God knows I understand body dismorphia, so I'm really not trying to come down on you here (I have been there and wrestled with ED myself), but please make sure you're being realistic and not idealistic - especially since ED will skew your ideals in an unhealthy manner. Most people who are recovering from ED are not focused on continual weight loss.

I don't know how old you are or what services you have access to, but if you're in college in the US odds are that your school will provide you with free counseling. Regardless, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to a professional - both for therapy and nutrition. It's not an issue about being "crazy" and it won't jeopardize any potential security clearances later on in life, but it may help with control issues. Just my $0.02.
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    where does it say 105 there? I didn't change my profile goal, is that why? I'd like to be 110 actually. But I want to be toned and like my body, not gain a bunch of weight. Simple as that. I have alwayys hated my thighs, before I had an ED, I don't like the now but theyre better than before and hence why I want to lose a few pounds in a healthy way.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    where does it say 105 there? I didn't change my profile goal, is that why? I'd like to be 110 actually. But I want to be toned and like my body, not gain a bunch of weight. Simple as that. I have alwayys hated my thighs, before I had an ED, I don't like the now but theyre better than before and hence why I want to lose a few pounds in a healthy way.

Your ticker says 105.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    oh, ED stands for eating disorder. got it.

i thought this was about a whole other topic. gotta stop watching them silly commercials with the old guys and big smiles
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    You're 5'6" with a goal weight of 105 and you're in "ED Recovery?" God knows I understand body dismorphia, so I'm really not trying to come down on you here (I have been there and wrestled with ED myself), but please make sure you're being realistic and not idealistic - especially since ED will skew your ideals in an unhealthy manner. Most people who are recovering from ED are not focused on continual weight loss.

I don't know how old you are or what services you have access to, but if you're in college in the US odds are that your school will provide you with free counseling. Regardless, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to a professional - both for therapy and nutrition. It's not an issue about being "crazy" and it won't jeopardize any potential security clearances later on in life, but it may help with control issues. Just my $0.02.

Oh and I don't mind your opinion but I wasn't asking for advice for counselling. I am 26 in canada and I highly doubt I need nutritional counselling, have u looked at my diary? I eat healthier than most of the people on here!! It seems that way at least. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and what they did tht worked? I just want to be healthy, lean and toned. I'm not doing anything in an unhealthy way to promote an ED or trying to lose weight in a bad way at all. Its just scary gaining weight and being able to literally see it on the tape measure and the scale when you just want tht one part of your body to look nice.
  • dkbaron
    dkbaron Posts: 23
    Options
    What is ED in regards to weight loss?
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

Your ticker says 105.

Oh sorry I didnt see that and didn't know how to change it, its chnged now though That goal was before recovery
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    What is ED in regards to weight loss?

Not sure what u mean but it stands for eating disorder
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaing the ED thing. I didn't know what it was at first either. May be I aslo watch too much TV.. but that's a whole different conversation. :)
  • jeni27
    jeni27 Posts: 17
    Options
    Don't no what ur matabilisum is doing but I think ur doing pretty good!! Ur diary is amazing it put mine to shame:) a month and a week purg free is exelant! I very much doubt u need consoling maybe just go with the calories that they say ur ment to eat? Do it for a couple of weeks or a month? Stay away from the scales!!! Easyer said than done but try to go with a weekly weigh in? And remember we want our kids to look up to us as good roll models that's the most important thing!! Show them u can eat, show them u can enjoy healthy food and show them that exersize makes u a happier stronger more energetic person don't ever let on that there is any reason to obsess <3
  • linamichaels
    Options
    I would say you are talking to the wrong people. You should speak with your doctor about what is a realistic and healthy weight goal for you. If you are scared that the doctor will tell you that you don't need to lose weight then it may be the case that you are not really in full recovery, it's just that you are using different methods to lose weight.

It takes a long time to recover and, as I understand it, it is never really a full recovery. There will always be that voice in your head that sees the number on the scale as the next one to beat. I would suggest seeing a nutritionist who can point you to healthy foods and help you understand the risks you may be under. I eat perfectly healthy but wasn't eating enough and am now diagnosed with osteopenia.

Please talk to a professional about the proper diet and exercise routine for you. Weight training, many say, will help to create the slim, toned look many ED girls look for, but in a healthy way. But in order to do it properly, the diet needs to match.

I hope I haven't offended you in any way. It is clear you are trying to move forward with your life and I wish you the best of luck on this journey. Having facts from professionals will be much more helpful to you than whatever the people here have to say.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I would say you are talking to the wrong people. You should speak with your doctor about what is a realistic and healthy weight goal for you. If you are scared that the doctor will tell you that you don't need to lose weight then it may be the case that you are not really in full recovery, it's just that you are using different methods to lose weight.

It takes a long time to recover and, as I understand it, it is never really a full recovery. There will always be that voice in your head that sees the number on the scale as the next one to beat. I would suggest seeing a nutritionist who can point you to healthy foods and help you understand the risks you may be under. I eat perfectly healthy but wasn't eating enough and am now diagnosed with osteopenia.

Please talk to a professional about the proper diet and exercise routine for you. Weight training, many say, will help to create the slim, toned look many ED girls look for, but in a healthy way. But in order to do it properly, the diet needs to match.

I hope I haven't offended you in any way. It is clear you are trying to move forward with your life and I wish you the best of luck on this journey. Having facts from professionals will be much more helpful to you than whatever the people here have to say.

The only thing I don't understand about this is why you think I don't eat healthy??? Did you read my diary? I eat extremely healthy Im vegan lol I eat alot too like 1800-2400 cls per day...soeties 2800 which i too much but still, 'm not starving myself and I certainly don't need to eat healthier...already done
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster that MFP may not be the best route for you, personally...that you should be addressing your fitness and dietary concerns with a doctor who understands ED recovery. Those recovering from EDs deal with an additional set of factors impacting fitness than do the general public. So the advice you will get from the average poster likely won't apply to you that well. For one thing, you may still have residual issues with your metabolism.

I do personally think that at your height, you do not need to lose any more weight. My opinions are also colored by experiences shared with me by a very good friend who is a recovering anorexic (of several years). She still exercises - runs marathons, actually. But she has told me that as a recovering anorexic that she is never supposed to weigh herself or 'watch what she eats' (diet) again. She eats smart - but she doesn't count calories and she doesn't get on a scale. And she's very fit. Do yourself a favor and talk one on one with a doctor who is familiar with your history.
  • linamichaels
    Options
    I'm apologize if I implied your diet was unhealthy. I can't see your diary, and even if I could it doesn't mean that I would know what is and isn't healthy for you. I have friends on here who are recovering from all sorts of medical or other issues and some are eating near 3000 calories a day, everyday. Each person is different and a doctor is the only one who could evaluate what you are eating and your exercise routine and tell you what is or isn't healthy for you, and how to obtain your goals. Again I'm sorry I offended you. It was most definitely not my intention.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    linamichaels, its ok, not offended::) I ate 3000 calories today actually, lol. I wasn't anorexic just so everyone knows so I dont have a problem eating too little...I wish! I would talk to y doctor about it but sadly she is not very smart.....like told me I hd a wart on my hand when it was a blood spot under my skin on my hand from pregnancy and told me i had a wart on my foot where my shoe had been rubbing and made a painful bump....other examples too which I wont share, but until I get a better doctor ..Ill wait till I can find one
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

The only thing I don't understand about this is why you think I don't eat healthy??? Did you read my diary? I eat extremely healthy Im vegan lol I eat alot too like 1800-2400 cls per day...soeties 2800 which i too much but still, 'm not starving myself and I certainly don't need to eat healthier...already done

Your diary is closed, so we can't tell you eat 1800 calories, and that's why people are assuming that you aren't eating much..

If you are currently eating 1800+ why does the 1800-2000 on F2F scare you?

Just pick a number in your range, try it for 3 weeks, and then adjust as necessary.

Good luck.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    OK So according to my BF%, what weight I want to be etc. I am supposed to be eating between 1788 and 2015 calories depending on my exercise.
    Yes seems good
    That scares me, alot. This is what fattofitradio.com told me when I did the military body fat calculator/ bmr etc. So my question is.....If I'm 5' 6" and 122 pounds and have struggled with bulimia for years on an off but have been in recovery and purge free for a month and a week, would my metabolism be anywhere hgh enough to eat that and lose weight?
    Regarding your picture, you don't need to lose weight, "toning" implies muscles, you seem to need more mass
    Also how do I know what my activity level is? MFP says if I am on my feet alot during the day I am lightly active but moderatley active is on my feet most of the day. If I sit alot during the day but go to the gym 4 times a week for about 90 minutes hardcore does that mean I'm lightly active or moderate??
    IMO most people exagerate their AL, they think they can hit 1,6 or 1,7, if you like to walk, run there and that, target for 1,45
    Other calculators say if I workoout 1-3 ties a week Im lightly active and 3-5 I'm moderate so I'm leaning towards moderate but then I'm worried my metbolism is still slow!! AGHHHHHHH..This whole this is freaking me out!!
    given your past, don't freak out and see it as a cool potential...to eat a lot without gaining.
    I went from 1400/1700 I need to eat 4000 to make the scale move nicely
    I am vegan and eat very healthy foods btw..check out my diary, yesterday was a free day:)
    Eating healthy is useless when it comes to pure energy usage which likely will be the factor for the weight update. Body oxydates, metabolize, but doesn't read the packages.
    Your diary is closed btw

Ps : I've a thread here, feel free to join if you want :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/562849-strategies-and-tips-to-get-out-from-anorexia-nervosa
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

Your diary is closed, so we can't tell you eat 1800 calories, and that's why people are assuming that you aren't eating much..

If you are currently eating 1800+ why does the 1800-2000 on F2F scare you?

Just pick a number in your range, try it for 3 weeks, and then adjust as necessary.

Good luck.

Woops sorry everyone I am new at the "posting in the cmmunity" and forgot it was only so friends can see it. Its open now so take a look. I mean its scary to AIM for the high number and be comfortable with it instead of aiming for the lower number