Does anyone make their own Almond milk?

Options
Kristinemomof3
Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
Any good recipes? Dh thinks we should make some. Is it really worth making? vs buying?

Replies

• cafeconleche
    Options
    bumping, kinda interested in this! i buy lots of almond milk. i only recently discovered the unsweetened kind.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    not cost effective unless you grow your own almonds or steal them or something. stealing is bad bad bad...so dont do that
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    not cost effective unless you grow your own almonds or steal them or something. stealing is bad bad bad...so dont do that

Dh says it will be more expensive, but less processed, they have to add something to help it keep don't they?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Dh says it will be more expensive, but less processed, they have to add something to help it keep don't they?

I wouldnt worry about it....they list the ingredients...it aint pure unless you make it yourself, but it aint bad if you get the unsweetened kind...and dh is right...too expensive and alot of mess and work
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options

I wouldnt worry about it....they list the ingredients...it aint pure unless you make it yourself, but it aint bad if you get the unsweetened kind...and dh is right...too expensive and alot of mess and work

I know, I'm right, I told him it would be too expensive, but he's insistent that he wants to try and make it. men!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have made it before for a dessert. Martha Stewart has a recipe on her site I believe. It's much easier than you think, but yes, it would be expensive to use all the time.
  • chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    How do you milk an almond?
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    One minute nut milk recipe:
    Put the following in a blender: 2 heaping TBSP of almond or any nut butter; 2 cups of cold water; a pinch of sea salt; 2 TBSP of agave nectar; 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract; and 1 TBSP of coconut butter. Blend on high for about one minute or less, and you have a perfect almond milk.
    BTW, the coconut butter is optional, but it gives it a nice richness.

I just soak the almonds overnight and blend with water and pour through a nut milk bag. Thats it, done. I do small quantities because it does not store long - I do 1/2 cup almonds to 1.5 cups water, original recipe was 1 cup almonds to 3 cups water.

Both from Vegan Support Group on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/143624349071213/201786519921662/
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    How do you milk an almond?
    Damn, beat me to it!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely allergic the the added calcium most brands put in their almond milk, so I was making my own for a long time, there is an organic one at trader joes I found that I can have. I know what all the words on the ingredients list are and it tastes better than any others I have tried. lol.

For all the work it didn't taste any better than the stuff I'm buying now, and there wasn't enough of a health benefit for me to keep bothering.

For the really basic method. Put a cup of almonds in 4 cups of water, refrigerate for about 24 hours, then toss it all in a blender. Strain out the almond chunks using a cheesecloth, and voila!
    I would add about an inch long piece of a vanilla bean in with it to make vanilla, then the pod and seeds strain out after.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Years ago (mid 1980's) I was involved with a group that did medieval cookery, and we used to make our own almond milk for cooking. It was a staple of medieval cookery, and at the time I was doing it, there was no such thing in the grocery stores as almond milk, so we had to make our own. Now, this is a real simple recipe, just almonds and water, no sugars or vanilla or thickening agents, but it works and doesn't take too long as long as you have a food processor or blender:

For 2 cups of almond milk --

1 cup ground almonds (cheaper to make if you buy whole almonds -- without the shells -- and blanche them yourself to take off the skins and then grind the naked almonds, otherwise use already blanched and slivered almonds and grind them)
    2 cups boiling water

Combine almonds and boiling water. Steep 5 minutes, stirring once in awhile. Pour through a sieve or cloth to remove granular pieces, which will give you a thinner smoother milk. OR after steeping pour it all into a food processor or blender and puree it really well. This will give you a thicker more textured milk, which you can still pour through a cloth if you want it smoother. It won't be anything like store bought almond milk, though.
  • PSTreasure
    PSTreasure Posts: 40
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond ,soy and coconut milk. All three are good and you can't beat the calorie count!