What is the best book you have ever read about nutrition?

Options
124»

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I cannot BELIEVE Michael Pollan wasn't mentioned on here!! "An Omnivore's Dilemma" is entertaining and has good info. "In Defense of Food" by Mr. Pollan is also fantastic. If you want straight up info, Marion Nestle's "What to Eat" is WONDERFUL (it is a TOME. I read it in chunks). Eye-opening info on the food industry also by Ms. Nestle is "Food Politics." A fun food read is "The Sex Life of Food" by, I s*** you not, Betty Crumpacker. A newish foodie book is Tamar Adler's "An Everlasting Meal." If you want to know WHAT your food is doing when you cook it (casein, lipids and temperature, oh my!) "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" by Harold McGee is essential.

So uh, I like to read and I like food, in case you were wondering....

Yup, anything by Michael Pollan - I have "In defense of food" and it is very thought provoking about what we eat and why -particular for those of us living in affluent western countries.
    An oldie, but goodie (I don't agree with every single thing she says, but I like the general idea) is "Changing habits, changing lives" by Cyndi O'Meara.

Agreed - he's fantastic! "Food Rules" by him is fantastic as well. It's short, sweet, and to the point. If you really wanted to, you could read it in one day.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! My drive to work has recently become much longer and I've been listening to these types of books on my drive.

Few of my favorites:
    Good Calories, Bad Calories
    You on a diet
    Master your Metabolism
    Syndrome X
    Eat clean diet.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    the only nutrition book i ever read was "skinny b****" and i stopped reading it when it became clear the object of the book was to get everyone to convert to vegan lifestyles. i'm a paleo girl. no tofu here.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Fantastic thread idea. Bump!
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Bump
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ultra Prevention and Ultra-Metabolism by Mark Hyman. These books revolutionized the way I eat and have had a tremendous positive influence on my health.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    The Detox Miracle Sourcebook: Raw Foods and Herbs for Complete Cellular Regeneration---- by Robert Morse
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am going to second (or third... ) the recommendation for Michael Pollan's works, especially In Defense of Food. Really makes you think, but there's no "diet" to follow, just education on simplifying your foods and learning what is in the processed "foods" we eat..
  • DDBeard
    DDBeard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump for later.

the one i've heard of & really want to read is Eat to Live by....??
    will look through this thread for more good reads on this topic later
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the overwhelming response. I don't even know where to begin, but I know I will be a busy girl for the next year or so! ;)
  • crafty_65
    crafty_65 Posts: 41
    Options
    I started following the anabolic diet 6 weeks ago. It has worked well for me. I have lost about a pound a week, which in it's self is not remarkable.However, considering I have been dieting for over 6 months without any movement on the scale or change in how my clothe fit. I was counting calories(and staying far under the required calories to lose weight) and getting on the treadmill at least 5 days a week. The biggest plus now is how great I feel, almost no aches and pains which plagued me prior to starting the anabolic diet. I actually look forward to getting on the treadmill and I am never hungry. There are a few things that I miss during the week, but it's not hard when you know you can have it on the weekend. I know it is still early in the diet, but I can see myself following this one very easily. I will be visiting the doctor again soon to have bloodwork done to ensure there are no adverse effects there.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have read a tonne- but Sally Fallon's 'Nourishing Traditions' was very memorable.
    I immediately began to incorporate some new habits.
    'Good Health in the 21st Century' by Dr Carole Hungerford is a great reference book too
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

Yep, Primal Blueprint all the way :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Saving. Thanks for the thread!
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

Yep, Primal Blueprint all the way :)

Absolutely! Primal Blueprint!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Mostly bumping but would agree with Michael Pollan, China Study and recently I've read Primal Blueprint, Wheat Belly, Why We Get Fat (not totally sold on that one though) and currently reading The Paleo Diet. Might read South Beach next
  • justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump! going to the library!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Canadian Food Guide lolololol
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just rented The Primal Blueprint from the library! I am so excited to start reading it tonight. :D