Fat thighs!

Options
I'm pretty sure there are lots of women out there with the same problem as me so please help!
I'm fed up with my thighs touching at the top. I go through jeans so fast because they rub holes in them making them unwearable. Does anyone have any specific exercise tips to target this area? I've already lost loads of weight and I'm very happy with the results so far, but not from my thighs!

Replies

• Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    Options
    BUMP
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Squats of all kinds would probably help.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce. Doing squats will help build up the muscles in your legs but you have to lower your body fat as well to see changes in how your body looks. And unfortunately.... depending on your body type.. .a thigh gap might not be in the cards. Or you will at least have to work a lot harder for it.

Combination of strength and cardio
  • TabbyKatzzz
    TabbyKatzzz Posts: 23
    Options
    I have this problem. I have lost weight, but I think for me doing the elliptical for cardio has helped a great deal. For strength training, leg presses have really helped me see improvement in my thighs and butt!
  • SarahBarker1987
    SarahBarker1987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce. Doing squats will help build up the muscles in your legs but you have to lower your body fat as well to see changes in how your body looks. And unfortunately.... depending on your body type.. .a thigh gap might not be in the cards. Or you will at least have to work a lot harder for it.

I think you could be right about it possibly never happening. If I look at all the women in my family, they have the same problem. I definitely have curvy hips and bum, I was just hoping the thighs could change! However, I can certainly just see what happens by generally exercising more and keep my fingers crossed!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

This. Unfortunately, where your body loses weight and whether or not you get a thigh gap is alllll up to genetics. :(
  • Toybuzz
    Toybuzz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with jeans as you OP.

I've found that Walking has really helped my legs and thighs, and I've also been doing Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds with has lots of kickbacks and knee lifts in it.

I've lost weight before purely through diet, but this is the first time I can genuinely see my body looking better already.
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think the gap between the legs is a genetic thing. Some people have it, some people don't. Some people used to have it and lose it due to weight gain - in this case it's possible to get back. I've never had this gap, but I still saw improvement when I did the squat presses from the 30 Day Shred.
  • Thinkthinstaythin
    Thinkthinstaythin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lunges. Squats, wall sits. running, jogging walking. It all helps. I HIGHLY suggest. do Lunges and Squats and wall sits EVERY SINGLE DAY! To see results. If you do them once in awhile you will not see results! Look up on google I always do and find great exercise routines to do and help. Help I was of assistance!

xoxo
    J
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    Compound leg exercises are great because they activate as many muscles as possible. My inner thighs were definitely grazing this past winter, but I've been working and I now have a thigh gap.

Today I did a leg circuit and cardio:
    5 minutes on elliptical
    Leg Press, 12 reps in 15 seconds
    Leg Extension, "
    Prone Leg Curl, "
    Dead Lift, "
    Calf Raises, "

Repeat Circuit 3 more times, doing 5 minutes of cardio between each one. I do legs two days a week, and work on everything on other days.

A lot of ballet warm-up exercises activate the thighs as well as the iliopsoas, which connects your thighs to your abdominal muscles below. This activation lengthens your muscles as well as making them stronger closer to the bone. This may sound like hogwash but when I did ballet it sure as hell gave me results.

Also, pilates leg workouts are in the same vein as ballet, and they rock.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I second this she is correct, you cannot spot reduce the body doesnt work that way
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I fewel you pain, same problem here. I typically don't wear pants because of the fat thight....

I have been doing lots of miles on the stationary bike and on the elliptical helping some, but it is slow. Between the 2 average about 45 minutes 4 times a week.

If you come up with any good tips, please share.

Margaret
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    This is only relevant if you are already <~18% body fat (above that nothing other than just losing body fat % makes a difference). <~10% for men.

Once you get to low bf%, you may find that body fat in the 'stubborn' areas (hips/thighs for women, abs/back for men) is a lot more prominent than anywhere else. That is because your body is designed to try to hold on to fat in those areas. Alpha-yohimbine or another alpha-2 adrenergic antagonist will help with fat loss in those regions. Yohimbine works as well, but it not as effective, and has serious psychological side effects at effective doses (anxiety, panic attacks, etc.), and is not worth it IMO.
  • SarahBarker1987
    SarahBarker1987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Compound leg exercises are great because they activate as many muscles as possible. My inner thighs were definitely grazing this past winter, but I've been working and I now have a thigh gap.

Today I did a leg circuit and cardio:
    5 minutes on elliptical
    Leg Press, 12 reps in 15 seconds
    Leg Extension, "
    Prone Leg Curl, "
    Dead Lift, "
    Calf Raises, "

Repeat Circuit 3 more times, doing 5 minutes of cardio between each one. I do legs two days a week, and work on everything on other days.

A lot of ballet warm-up exercises activate the thighs as well as the iliopsoas, which connects your thighs to your abdominal muscles below. This activation lengthens your muscles as well as making them stronger closer to the bone. This may sound like hogwash but when I did ballet it sure as hell gave me results.

Also, pilates leg workouts are in the same vein as ballet, and they rock.

Very helpful thank you. I generally don't go to the gym (I do classes instead) so perhaps I should swap classes for gym for a bit just to see what happens. I used to do Ballet as well (although I was a lot younger!) but it could be another avenue to follow :)
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    Keep up the hard work and they will get smaller. Don't give up! (This is coming from the Thunder Thigh Queen) :]
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    FAT THIGHS! :heart:
    I love my fat thighs. They're thick and jiggly and lovely and squishy and help cushion me when I sit. They curve delightfully and make a great rest for my laptop, and my girlfriend quite loves to squeeze them.

My size 10 girlfriend's jeans wear at the inner thighs too. That is the nature of jeans, my darling.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    no spot reducing unfortunately; you're going to have to do some cardio to decrease overall body fat. then you can tone by doing strength training! squats, lunges, etc!

but you should own your thighs, I'm actually jealous because i think bigger thighs are super sexy and mine are all nasty and scrawny. guess its yet another case of everyone wanting the opposite of what they have ><
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    no spot reducing unfortunately; you're going to have to do some cardio to decrease overall body fat. then you can tone by doing strength training! squats, lunges, etc!

but you should own your thighs, I'm actually jealous because i think bigger thighs are super sexy and mine are all nasty and scrawny. guess its yet another case of everyone wanting the opposite of what they have ><

You are perfect just the way you are, 'scrawny' thighs and all! I think they look lovely, as does the rest of you.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I lost thighs from walking, they came off with half my face, gut and arms......however i have a long way before i see a gap!
    And just for those people saying genetics........I WILL NOT BE FAT COS MY FAMILY IS FAT THIS GENETICS CRAP CAN KISS MY FAT THIGHS....it frustrates me when people say genetics, i was skinny i ate! My mums fat cos she is lazy and eats crap and cant be bothered, my nan the same, my dad...well way too many calories there and the beer gut....well my brother ate and it caught up to him, my sister is skinny, my other sister is skinny and my mum could be too.........:devil: :explode: :mad: :angry: :grumble:
    :embarassed: not fat genes.