diet coke

Options
So I have found that diet coke is filling and it has helped me stick to the amount of calories Im allowed to have. However I have read that its not so good for dieting. Thoughts?

Replies

• concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The artificial sugar in Diet Coke does a whole lot of worse things for you than just screwing up your weight loss.

Stick to natural drinks, water, coconut water, and green tea is always a good bet too. Make your own iced tea at home too!
  • JenS_1678
    JenS_1678 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm usually not a fan. I read somewhere that it's sometimes worse than actual soda.

As far as weight loss though, I've cut out all soda and it's actually worked really well for me. I feel a lot better physically, which I didn't expect at all. I used to drink maybe 4 cans a day? Now it's just water, tea, and crystal light for me =)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    It's fine. I'm sure someone will come in and lecture us on aspartame, but if you want to drink diet coke and lose weight... you will. Zero calories is zero calories.

If it works for you, just do it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's fine. There is no real reason not to drink it. There are a lot of scaremongering myths out there against it, but those are just that, myths.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Diet anything makes you crave real sugar so no, it's not good unless you can resist cravings.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The carbonation will keep you bloated.

I gave up soda's almost 2 years ago :D
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I found as soon as I gave up Diet Pepsi/coke, I did not crave sweets as much.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    it has helped me stick to the amount of calories Im allowed to have.

Enough said, in my opinion.
  • AumMelly
    AumMelly Posts: 6
    Options
    It's up to you:)
    sometimes it's that perfect filler...
    but the thing to keep in mind is that when you drink it your body actually has to pull resources (vitamins/nutrients) from your body in order to deal with it....

so that's up do you. :) Good luck!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    its fine. i drink diet coke, a few years ago i drunk up to 2 litres of coke a day. switched to diet coke and its helped with my weight. hasnt made me crave sugar whatsoever.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I'm sure someone will come in and lecture us on aspartame, but if you want to drink diet coke and lose weight... you will. Zero calories is zero calories.

If it works for you, just do it.

^^This! Although I'll agree that it's not the best thing in the world for you. I admit I drink it and it doesn't hamper weight loss.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I found as soon as I gave up Diet Pepsi/coke, I did not crave sweets as much.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This. I know people who lose weight on diet soda. I know a lot more fat people who drink lots of diet soda and feel like they are helping themselves somehow. I've heard many, many theories on it, but no idea what is true. My current goal is to drop as much processed crap from my diet as possible. I was a Cokeaholic, and I stopped. It has helped me lots of ways. I recommend none, except for occasional treats. (For example, I go to a movie in a theatre about twice a year. For those nights, I will be drinking a coke with my buttered popcorn!)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I cut down from 4 cans a day to just 1 can a day. Did this three weeks ago and sticking with it. Have I seen increased weight loss from it? No. Do I feel less hungry, yes.... I think all the carbonation made me feel hungry all the time. I do sleep better at night if that means anything.
  • snix1024
    snix1024 Posts: 81
    Options
    I went from drinking 5-6 cans of Diet Coke a day down to one, and it has made a difference.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a couple a week. I used to be a major soda drinker, and did NOT drink diet until the advent of Coke Zero. Ah, I love Coke Zero. CHERRY Coke Zero!

But, soda and chemicals simply aren't good for us, so I've cut back. I might have one or two a week (Im having a Diet pepsi tonight, and haven't had any soda since last weekend), but that's it.

I try to always have iced tea in the fridge, even the kids are getting used to it. I don't buy soda for the house unless we're having a party or pizza night.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    In my 'professional' opinion as a research scientist in the general field of biology and the more specific fields of neuroscience and pharmacology (which therefore makes me an expert on everything :wink: ), diet coke and coke zero and any other 'diet' beverage/food sweetened with artificial sweeteners are fine if consumed in moderation. There's no solid scientific research to support the scary claims that get tossed around. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners cause cancer provided you don't eat several pounds of it a day. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners increase your appetite. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain or that they change the pH of your blood and/or deplete the bones of calcium. All of the scary stories are just that... scary stories.

That said... they are beverages filled with man-made chemicals and I would never call them a 'health drink'.

Also, please note the use of the word "solid". You WILL find studies to support just about any scary story you want to support, and so there's always a small risk that the scary stories are at least partly true. However, for every scary story, you will find a half dozen or more scientific articles that refute that scary story... hence, no SOLID evidence.

I drink diet sodas. I don't drink them all the time, but I probably drink 3 or so a week.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In my 'professional' opinion as a research scientist in the general field of biology and the more specific fields of neuroscience and pharmacology (which therefore makes me an expert on everything :wink: ), diet coke and coke zero and any other 'diet' beverage/food sweetened with artificial sweeteners are fine if consumed in moderation. There's no solid scientific research to support the scary claims that get tossed around. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners cause cancer provided you don't eat several pounds of it a day. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners increase your appetite. There's no solid evidence that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain or that they change the pH of your blood and/or deplete the bones of calcium. All of the scary stories are just that... scary stories.

That said... they are beverages filled with man-made chemicals and I would never call them a 'health drink'.

Also, please note the use of the word "solid". You WILL find studies to support just about any scary story you want to support, and so there's always a small risk that the scary stories are at least partly true. However, for every scary story, you will find a half dozen or more scientific articles that refute that scary story... hence, no SOLID evidence.

I drink diet sodas. I don't drink them all the time, but I probably drink 3 or so a week.

^ As good a response as you'll get. I drink 2 a day and have almost let the scaremongers scare me out of that.

-M
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Pop has always been my vice, so I allow myself one mini can of Diet Coke a day. This has worked well for me because one can is enough to satisfy me and it does not make me crave other bad things.
  • dragongirl1313
    Options

I concur. I am a Diabetes Nurse and the current advice from the Endocrinologists and Diabetes Physicians I work with is it is ok in moderation. I honestly can't predict what the long term effects of use of artificial sweetners is, but we do know the long term effects of high blood glucose levels, so it comes down to making an informed choice. The biggest real known issue with aspartamine which is made with phenylalanine, is in those with PKU (phenylketonuria) - they definately can't have it or any other things that are naturally high in phenylalanine (like milk and eggs) as they lack the enzyme to break it down. So the nay-sayers who harp on about how awfull it is are probably already consuming more of it that they realise....
    That said - when I stopped drinking it for a couple of months, my skin cleared up beautifully and I wasnt achy in the mornings. But I still like it!!!