MFP Calorie recommendation vs what you do

Options
2»

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me a calorie range of 1000-1300 calories daily. I really try to stick to it, and when I have exercise calories to use I only eat if I'm hungry.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I eat under the target 'cos the floor of 1200 gets slightly in the way of my target deficit. I'm running a deficit around 730 calories according to my Libra app for a 1.5 lbs/week loss.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i was at 1936 calories with mfp. i didn't lose anything. so i started to do zigzag calories .. still wasn't really losing i was not counting veggies and fruits.. and was still eating lots of meat. I cut down the meat, incorporated hummus (homemade) counted veggies and fruits and cut down eating nuts every day to every other day. now im steady losing. a pound. which is good enough for men my weekly average a day is 1700 calories.
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MFP says 2950 calories. What I actually eat is about 3500.
  • carmel991
    carmel991 Posts: 9
    Options
    To those who changed their numbers can I ask what methods you used to change your number? I also think my MFP recommendation is on the low side.
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I recommend the follow calorie calculator. Especially great if you know your body fat percentage. You can add it under "Advanced options" ...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

so I went to this site. It says I should eat 1767 for fat loss. I have been doing that, for the most part because MFP says to eat 1390 per day (Plus I eat about 400 cal. extra 5 days out of the week because of exercise). Or do I actually need to eat 1767 per day (and then add 400 to that?!). I'm very close to my goal weight and nothing really is happening, just go up and down. Not consistently losing.
  • RiverTom
    RiverTom Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use the calories recommended for fat loss as my base and if I exercise I usually eat about 2/3 of my exercise calories back. Sometimes all of them. At the end of the day I'm still in a deficit compared to the maintenance calories. But I'm not on a journey to losing much weight right now. I'm happy to maintain with 3 lbs above or below target weight. So please don't copy my ways 100 % .... We all need to find out how our own bodies work and we're all individuals. You can apply basic principles, but you can't really copy somebody else's ways.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    To those who changed their numbers can I ask what methods you used to change your number? I also think my MFP recommendation is on the low side.

This one for me -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • Miss_E_
    Miss_E_ Posts: 45
    Options
    MFP gave me around 1300 calories to net, i thought this was to low for me, ( im 5ft 8 ) so i decided to up it to my BMR which was 1500, so i at least net 1500 and i also eat my workout calories which i go to the gym 4 days a week and zumba once a week, i can honestly say that its working perfectly for me, never hungry, steadily losing 1lb a week with a few glasses of wine at the weekend :) and losing lots of inches and my body shape is changing, but this is due to the intensive gym sessions i do including cardio and weight machines, i will carry on this way as long as it works for me. :)
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVRYONE!

That's the prob my bmr is at 1437 according to MFP and according to FIT2FAT site its like 15something (like 30 higher than the MFP) so either way Im eating below my BMR if I follow MFP..

I'll stick to around 1500-1600