what size weights do you use to Shred?

Options
Hi everyone,

What size weights does everybody use when doing 30 day shred? I bought 4 kg weights, but they are too heavy for me. Am I a wimp?

Replies

• ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb weights, because I already had them. They're easily enough for me, my arms are shaking by the end.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have 3 lb weights. At times even they feel too heavy but I push thru.
  • candj2009
    candj2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started out with 3 lb and then moved to 5 lb. Next time going to start with 5lb and try to go to 8lb. I think just do whatever is challenging to you, shouldn't be easy, but should be able to do it.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb for most of the exercises. The Chest Flys in Level 1 I used 8lb. Level 2 is definetely all using 3lb. You aren't weak, it's rough...
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    my daughter started the shred bought 5lbs weights and their too heavy for her so your not a wimp! get lighter ones to start!
  • LittleLolita
    Options
    I use 2 lb weights because I am a weakling
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Maybe try starting with 3-5 pound weights. I tried to use 8 pounds, and I couldn't do it.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use 3 for everything but the chest fly things - part three level one! There I use 5's. I am a wimp and may never get beyond level one but I can tell you, you want your arms to burn when you are done but you want to be able to finish - so go get a 1 and 2 kg set too. Hand weights are not real expensive. They also make a cuff set that you can add in 1/2 pound increments - must have in kg sets too - I found mine at walmart. they cuff around your ankles, but you can also hold them for hand weights or cuff them at wrist - for shredd it takes too much time so I just hold them!
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are currently on Level 2, Day 18 and we have been using 5lb weights during the whole shred. My shoulders are killing me on Level 2 but I do my best to power through it. Can't wait to see what Level 3 looks like.
  • scorpiogoddess
    Options
    I started with 5lb and moved up to 8lbs.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use 3 for everything but the chest fly things - part three level one! There I use 5's. I am a wimp and may never get beyond level one but I can tell you, you want your arms to burn when you are done but you want to be able to finish - so go get a 1 and 2 kg set too. Hand weights are not real expensive. They also make a cuff set that you can add in 1/2 pound increments - must have in kg sets too - I found mine at walmart. they cuff around your ankles, but you can also hold them for hand weights or cuff them at wrist - for shredd it takes too much time so I just hold them!
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I started with 0.5 kg (1 lb) and then bought 2kg (4.4 lb). I can get all the way through with these ones and feel the burn. Mr muscle and fabreze are definately too light ;) xxx
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started with 0.5 kg (1 lb) and then bought 2kg (4.4 lb). I can get all the way through with these ones and feel the burn. Mr muscle and fabreze are definately too light ;) xxx

I started with 0.5kg too but I'm moving up to 1kg on Monday :) was using 400g soup tins originally so I've improved a little bit!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    5-8lbs for a lot of exercises. I did Phase 3 of 30DS the other day for the first time in a long time and used my 12lb for the "clean and snatch" exercise.
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Hahahahahahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • widetobride
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think starting with 4kg (8.8lb) weights was a little too ambitious, but I will keep them for later. x:happy:
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I started with nothing, then moved up to (no joke) 2 direct tv remotes lol. They were the exact same size and weight and the only thing I had handy that didn't make my arms feel like total Jello. Then I thought... oh I'm a wimp! So I found some 5 pound weights. Oh man, the next day I could barely move my arms. That didn't work well for me since I have a 3 year old to lift up and play with and cuddle all day =)

Long story short, I have dropped it back to 2 lb weights. My arms are really weak, and I feel weak for using baby weights but you have to start somewhere. I am on day 7 well day 8 will be tonight and I'm happy I have smaller weights. My arms still ache and burn, so small ones are working for me for now. I will progress as need be but i'm happy where I am.

You want something to give you a challenge but also something that you can control while doing the exercises. If the weight is just falling straight down or you can't keep it steady it is too much. I learned that with the 5 pounders. =S

Best of luck =)
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I use 5 pounds and my arms are burning during the anterior lunges. Wish I had a size up for some moves though.
  • widetobride
    Options
    Remote controls? What a fantastic idea. I might actually finish a set if I use them. Thanks hon x:bigsmile:
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    im doing power 90 and using 2.5kg weights.