Help :(

Options
I just got through my first year of nursing school and I am absolutely wiped out (and a couple pounds heavier). I told myself that I would get back into my exercise and healthy eating routine but I already see myself going back to bad habits. The exercising isn't the hard part so to speak, it's the food. I get stuck in a rut of eating the same thing over and over, and then before I know it I'm back to eating unhealthy things. Any advice on quick easy meals that are healthy and cheap? (college student here lol)

Replies

• JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would suggest batch cooking and freezing if you can. you can use cheaper cuts of meat or use pulses in one pot meals such as stew or bolognaise etc...
    Really the key is being prepared, Im a full time student and single mum so I know how tiring it can get, but take the summer to get a head start and a useful routine :)
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LadiDragon
    LadiDragon Posts: 3
    Options
    Congratulations on your first year! A few tricks that are helpful to me are using soups (Progresso is a favorite for me) that make up most of a meal and sell for less than $2 at Walmart or Target. Most canned refried beans are fairly inexpensive and are low fat (Rosarita makes an even lower fat one) and half a cup in a whole wheat tortilla makes a meal. I'm not a big veggie eater, so I tend towards frozen veggies, which, when mixed with brown rice or brown pasta make a good meal. I'm also don't have much of a desire to cook, so the microwave is my friend. I really like Weight Watchers ham and egg muffins - a bit under $2 per muffin and very tasty. Best of luck to you Ms. Wallace, have a great day!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Embrace a 90/10 mentality.
    90% whole foods and 10% junk!

The night before work you should build your diary meal by meal.
    This helps you stick to the plan.
    Have 90% whole foods and 10% fun snacks!
  • vlwallace87
    vlwallace87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first year! A few tricks that are helpful to me are using soups (Progresso is a favorite for me) that make up most of a meal and sell for less than $2 at Walmart or Target. Most canned refried beans are fairly inexpensive and are low fat (Rosarita makes an even lower fat one) and half a cup in a whole wheat tortilla makes a meal. I'm not a big veggie eater, so I tend towards frozen veggies, which, when mixed with brown rice or brown pasta make a good meal. I'm also don't have much of a desire to cook, so the microwave is my friend. I really like Weight Watchers ham and egg muffins - a bit under $2 per muffin and very tasty. Best of luck to you Ms. Wallace, have a great day!

Thanks :) I lost close to 50 lbs doing the "Can Food Diet". Basically I took a lean meat and ate two types of canned veggies with it. I also walked everyday. I just feel like I eat the same thing over and over. Lol
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am in my second year of radiography school -- I know your pain!! Find a few websites and search recipes to make on weekends when you have more time. I made a new year's resolution to try at least one new healthy recipe a week. That has helped keep me on target even when I am swamped with studying and mom-type shenanigans. A few of my faves are below:

www.skinnytaste.com is amazing
    www.canyoustayfordinner.com is one of my favorite food blogs
    and... dlynz.com (the food section) is where I got my dinner recipe from last night (chicken with kale -- super easy!)

Also? Not sure if you have a juicer -- but that is a good way to mix things up for quick or on-the-go meals. Here's a favorite juicing recipe:

http://nosugarsweetlife.com/content/veggie-garden-progress-pink-kale-juice

Also? My family likes to grill on Sunday nights -- tons of chicken and fish. Then I use the leftovers throughout the week in salads, soups, and wraps for quick meals.
  • eknosu2005
    eknosu2005 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in nursing school as well. Graduate in December (thank GOD!). I too have gained about 10lbs! When I got my BA I actually lost weight but there's something about the stress of nursing school... Finding motivation to work out and eat right has been a struggle for me as well. Advice, put at least an hour every other day for working out. Try to do it in the morning before class/homework/etc. It gives you some energy to get through the crazy info.

Good luck!
  • vlwallace87
    Options
    I am in nursing school as well. Graduate in December (thank GOD!). I too have gained about 10lbs! When I got my BA I actually lost weight but there's something about the stress of nursing school... Finding motivation to work out and eat right has been a struggle for me as well. Advice, put at least an hour every other day for working out. Try to do it in the morning before class/homework/etc. It gives you some energy to get through the crazy info.

Good luck!

The stress has been insane! Lol I'm trying to get myself straightened out this summer. I'm just sooooo not a cooking person. Haha
  • vlwallace87
    Options
    I am in my second year of radiography school -- I know your pain!! Find a few websites and search recipes to make on weekends when you have more time. I made a new year's resolution to try at least one new healthy recipe a week. That has helped keep me on target even when I am swamped with studying and mom-type shenanigans. A few of my faves are below:

www.skinnytaste.com is amazing
    www.canyoustayfordinner.com is one of my favorite food blogs
    and... dlynz.com (the food section) is where I got my dinner recipe from last night (chicken with kale -- super easy!)

Also? Not sure if you have a juicer -- but that is a good way to mix things up for quick or on-the-go meals. Here's a favorite juicing recipe:

http://nosugarsweetlife.com/content/veggie-garden-progress-pink-kale-juice

Also? My family likes to grill on Sunday nights -- tons of chicken and fish. Then I use the leftovers throughout the week in salads, soups, and wraps for quick meals.

Thanks for those websites! I'm a visual person so it helps to see pics and stuff. :)
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    grab and go's are always easy...stock up on fruits, granola bars, cheese sticks. When you buy veges, cut and bag them right away so they're ready to eat. substitute avocado or hummus for other condiments to make sandwiches healthier. I am an on the go person, so I haven't ruled out fast food...many menus now offer a lighter side. Taco bell has its fresco menu, others have yogurts, baked potatoes, oatmeals.

had a great, filling sandwich last night: lettuce, tomato, avocado and jewish pickle on whole wheat...350 calories.

lots of good websites out there too with lighter menus. skinnytaste.com is one.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree cook and freeze. Saves loads of money, and if you are in a hurry defrosting and warming is probably even quicker than take out. Also if you get into the habit of freezing you dont feel obliged to eat the same thing day after day for fear of wastage.

I used to have a fear of cooking for one for this reason - but I don't mind so much now.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    You share my weak point, LOL...school makes it VERY hard for me to eat and exercise properly. I work all day at a desk (we are e-services so EVERYTHING is on the computer. You don't even have to get up to deal with any papers!) and then either go sit in a classroom for hours or go home and sit on the computer for hours or sit reading a textbook for hours. So not only do I not get any good exercise, I hardly have time to worry about food.

I don't know what your home life is like and how many people are in your home, but I am single so I don't have to worry about other people. My best solution for this has been to pick a healthy main dish that would usually serve 6-8 people, and cook it on the weekend. Maybe make two and freeze parts of each meal into individual portions (leave a few fresh for the next few days). Use those throughout the week and then pick fresh sides that are easy to make super fast, like over roasted asparagus, sliced tomato on whole wheat toast, wilted spinach and fat-free feta, a fresh side-salad...there are so many things you can do with just a small amount of time that will help you out of your food rut. Been there, done that! I would get all depressed and start eating fast food and feel like food was the enemy. Not anymore! I am feeling so much better about food lately! :)
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    BTW one of my favorite meals is a cobbled together soup/stew. I use canned beans such as navy or kidney, whatever frozen veggies I like since those are cheaper and easy to store, chicken stock, sherry, spices, and whatever meat you like. Fine without meat also. It works with ground turkey, bacon (cook the bacon in the pot, get rid of the excess grease and deglaze with sherry), and cook it all together. add a little cheese on top and it is so easy and filling, low on calories for a large bowl, and tastes great! Good for protein too, which I struggle to get enough of.
  • GetFitDad
    GetFitDad Posts: 7
    Options
    This is more about habits than recipes, but maybe it helps you. :)

Habits are hard to break... and form. I've read it takes 21 times to start or break a habit. You've been doing this so long, now it's a habit. I would say start with one thing, form a new habit, and work from there. An example would be to track and drink 8 cups of water a day. Do that for 21 days, marking the calendar each day. When you've got that, pick something else like eat 3 portions of fruit and veggies a day... 21 days, check. While you do these things, you can continue to try to exercise more or eat less junk food or whatever, but make sure you do your main goal for 21 consecutive days even if you fail on the ancillary tasks like exercise. And start with simple habit goals like water, sleeping 7-8 hours, not snacking while watching tv, or something. Focus on the habit forming/braking first.

Good luck!