Which number do i eat?

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
sorry to ask this question. im a bit confused.

my BMR is 1332

do i eat ...
1a) sedentary 1639 and -250 for 1/2 pound defecit = 1389 cals and eat back exercise calories back each day
1b) sedentary 1639 - 15% = 1393 and eat back exercise calories back each day

2a) moderaatly active 2117 - 250 for 1/2 pound = 1867
2b) mod active 2117 - 15% = 1799
2c) mod active 2117 - 500 for a pound = 1617
and dont eat back exercise cals
i spose 1a and b are the same net but there is such a vast difference between 1 and 2 and with moderatly active, if i subtract what i would burn in a week of gym (say 2500 cals) it would still be much higher than the net defecit of number 1 at 1390.
does that make sence. Any help is great. thank you

Replies

• toshie333
    Options
    anyone?
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You eat what you are. Are you sedetary on a day to day basis? If so, you eat that, and then add your exercise calories to it. If you are moderate, you eat what it gives you there. The activity level is based on your life outside of actual time set aside from exercise. That is why it gives you examples of lifestyle. Sedetary = you work an 8 or 9 hour day sitting in a chair. Moderate = you stand much of the day. Active = you walk most of the day. The last one (can't remember what it is) = you ride a bike, jog, or do other VERY physical activity most of the day.

I hope this answers your question
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What is your job? Do you sit most of the day or are you up and about lifting heavy things? That can help to decide whether you should pick sedentary or not and I would encourage no matter which you pick, that you eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back. After a month or so, just eating 1200 and working out, I stopped losing, it wasn;t until I ate back my calories that I began to drop again. Just my thoughts. Hope it helped some!
  • toshie333
    Options
    Thank you ladies for replying. yes i currently have a job where i sit down all day. so i would say im sedentary but i exercisse about 5 days a week at the gym.
    so would i NET 1390 or 1600 and eat my exercise calories?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for replying. yes i currently have a job where i sit down all day. so i would say im sedentary but i exercisse about 5 days a week at the gym.

Looks like 1390 works for either a 15% deficit from TDEE or 1/2 lb a week. So go with that on zero exercise days.

On days with exercise log that in MFP and eat maybe half the extra calories back, unless you're sure of the accuracy. With a 250 deficit it would be easy to reduce it to nothing if some machine readout was over the mark.
  • toshie333
    Options

Looks like 1390 works for either a 15% deficit from TDEE or 1/2 lb a week. So go with that on zero exercise days.

On days with exercise log that in MFP and eat maybe half the extra calories back, unless you're sure of the accuracy. With a 250 deficit it would be easy to reduce it to nothing if some machine readout was over the mark.

When you say reduce it to nothing do you mean don't count it? I use a hrm with chest strap so think will be most accurate I'm going to get without purchasing a bells x whistles hrm. I will carry on at 1390 net. Got a body media on the way which I will use when it arrives to work out what I should be eating. I think the body medias are most accurate for all day but apparently not for exercise?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When you say reduce it to nothing do you mean don't count it?

No, I mean if your calculated deficit is 250 then it would not be hard for that to disappear if the estimates we're using for calculations and the readouts from equipment were inaccurate.

So I'm saying eat the 1390 on no-exercise days, and half the exercise calories on days you work out. That way you should get a bit more deficit on exercise days, without risk of wiping out your normal deficit.