Why did I freakin GAIN weight?!?!

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
I feel like effin crying right now. I have been working so hard to loose weight, and I've really stepped up my game this past week. But somehow between last Saturday and today I've managed to gain 1.5 pounds. Maybe to some of you this may not sound like much, but that's 2 weeks worth of hard work I've just put right back on. I don't freakin get it. I've been staying at or slightly under my calories and I've been eating healthy. I've pushed harder during my workouts and even added a second session in the evening of 30 minutes jogging/walking. I don't understand at all why I gained weight. Do you think it is in the realm of possibilities that it could be water retention/swelling from the additional workout? I'm at a loss right and and feeling really effin down.... :*(

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's water weight from the increased activity level. Your weight is going to fluctuate. You won't necessarily lose every week. You need to take measurements and photos so that when you have a gain week or a 0 week, you will see results elsewhere.

You can not freak out every time you have a week where you don't lose.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think it is a big possibility that it is water weight. Give it a chance. Don't fret it. Can you ignore the scale for a week or 5? Just work, eat properly, and have faith? Measure yourself and forget the scale!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hey I was under cals all week and expected a gain and my scale was up 1.5 lb too! i weighed again today and it was the same as it was last week when i weighed, so...no gain and no loss for me! keep up the good work keep pushing. btw you look great so dont worry!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your amazing weight loss! As you probably know already, the closer you're getting to your goal, the harder it's going to be to take off the pounds. So try not to stress so much about the scale and try to concentrate more on how your clothes are fitting you or even take body measurements and pictures regularly. The scale becomes such an enemy, especially when you're working out hard. Yes, I do believe it's water retention from the increased activity.

Think of it like when you sprain your ankle - the injury brings on water retention (swelling) as part of the healing process. Your sore muscles are doing the same, it's just not as obvious because it's spread out over a larger area. Make sure you've also increased your water intake as this will help, but mostly it's going to take time for your body to adjust. Patience!

I'd also suggest adding sodium to your tracker - one or two high sodium meals can throw your weight off for up to a week.
  • tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for over a month and have been working out for 6 months. Look at my pics. In the last month I have oscillated back and forth 2 pounds. I'm a size 4 and look great. Who cares about the number? If you're going down in pants sizes than obviously you're getting smaller. When I was obsessing about my weight I went online and looked up the weights of fitness models my height. Most of them weigh more than me. Muscle weighs more than fat. You can either choose to be obsessed with the scale and be skinny fat or you can be fit and look great, relying on measurements and body fat percentage to gauge your progress
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You just went down a size a few days ago! Obviously you're losing inches everywhere.

You've also increased your exercise intensity, so I really wouldn't worry. Weight fluctuates... a lot, even if you do make sure to meet optimal weighing conditions. :)
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    have you been adjusting your calorie intake with every 10 lb loss?
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    have you been adjusting your calorie intake with every 10 lb loss?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. My net is at the lowest I can safely go...
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One other reason that I don't think has been mentioned yet, is your menstrual cycle about to start? I always gain a couple prior to my cycle but it goes quickly.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is never linear. There's weeks you go down and weeks you stay the same or even go up. It happens. To everyone. If you didn't eat about 4200 calories over maintenance, it's not fat.
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One other reason that I don't think has been mentioned yet, is your menstrual cycle about to start? I always gain a couple prior to my cycle but it goes quickly.

This too! I fluctuate 1 pounds more or less every week. And whit my cycle I can gain 2 pounds!
  • turbophoenix
    turbophoenix Posts: 152
    Options
    You've been pushing harder during your workouts? Are you sore? I find that when I'm really sore after an intense workout, I gain. I'm pretty sure there is a scientific reason for this but I'm not a scientist so I can't explain it but that might be what is going on here.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    You've done marvelously well so far. Could quite easily be water weight from the extra exercise. I'd give it another week and see what happens. My question would be, are you eating enough? With the added exercise and only 12 pounds to go, I'd suggest you reset your weekly goal to 1/2 pound a week (if you haven't already done so).
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. It is a lot easier to say that to others than accept it yourself. In the last 4 weeks I have not changed my exercise or food that much but have lost 7lb then 1lb then 8lb then 1lb.

I get freaked out about it as well, what keeps me going is.

The belief that I am doing the right thing,
    Looking at my weight loss over a month
    Not wanting to mess up my hard work done so far
    The great weeks.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had this same thing happen to me. I've decided that I'm going to ignore the scale for the remaining 6 weeks that I have of this drug called Megace. It SUCKS. I'm just going to use the tape measure and how I FEEL every day. (that is- better and better!) I have no more back pain. I feel strong. I can accomplish more during workouts. And I guess... whatever! I'm active and eating better, so do I have to be all hung up on this NUMBER?

(Disclaimer: This psychological game doesn't always work. I'm doing the best I can. )

:)
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just kinda glanced at your diary and I blame SALT!!! I love salty foods and chinese can be the worst (but oh so good) And remember that when you increase your workouts your muscles swell a little and retain more water. It is not noticeable on the outside for regular folks but is noticeable on the scale. Stick with what you are doing and you will see the benefits soon.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options

no... I just had it actually and had recorded a loss during it :(
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I think this actually has more to do with the fact that your average net kcal intake from last Saturday through yesterday is only 1048.57. I think that your body is storing more of what you eat because you're not giving it enough. The body responds quickly to changes in diet and physical activity, and when you don't give it enough energy it will begin to save whatever it can, and will also begin to slow various body systems. From now on make sure to recover most of the energy you use in exercise, and remember that your net kcal goal already has built into it the kcal deficit required for you to lose weight at your desired rate of loss. Adding to that deficit by not recovering after exercise can, and often does, inhibit weight loss. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    I just kinda glanced at your diary and I blame SALT!!! I love salty foods and chinese can be the worst (but oh so good) And remember that when you increase your workouts your muscles swell a little and retain more water. It is not noticeable on the outside for regular folks but is noticeable on the scale. Stick with what you are doing and you will see the benefits soon.

lol that was just yesterday I hate chinese food but I made it for my husband. My sodium is usually pretty on point, sometimes a lil over, sometimes under, but it usually breaks even.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a weight "range" No big deal. Unless you are saying you ate 5250 calories over your maintenance in the last day. Chill. Not a big deal.