What's the deal with no logging a bad day.

Options

Replies

• halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I believe it is extremely important to log everything you eat every day until you meet your goals - whether it is to lose weight or gain muscle. AND ... don't be afraid of or worry about going over in calories. I do it at least once a week now ... on purpose ... to "shock" the body. What I have read (not an expert but works for me) is that by doing this your body learns to burn fat more efficiently. Is it true? Dunno, but I do believe it helped me reach my goal and I am now in maintenance mode - weight-wise.

Also, I think we all need to take in to account that holidays, brays, etc ... chances are you are going to go over your calorie goal. Don't sweat it. Use it as motivation the next workout and kick it up a notch!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate, I don't see the point of logging, good or bad, after the fact. I use the food diary as a planning tool, so I log everything before I eat it. I'd say 95 percent of the time, I stick to what I log. If something goes off track and I eat either more or less than what I'd planned, I don't bother to go back and change it. It has nothing to do with shame, embarrassment, or not being honest with myself. It's just that once it's eaten, logging my food ceases to be of value to me. I don't go back and reflect on what I've had, so it would be a waste of time to log what's in the past. I just get on with it and use my diary to plan my next day.

I like your style!!!
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I SO need to get over this stigma.
    When I'm bad, I'm BAAAAAAD. As a result, I don't log it.

Shame on me! :grumble:

So if you'r on my friends list, and you don't see a "Mexipino has completed his food and excercise diary for...". update, you know why.

Fortunately, they're not very frequent.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Answer #1 Who gives rats *kitten* why people do or don't do something on their log. It does not effect you.

Answer # 2 See answer 1
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had a bad day yesterday but I logged it and found it wasnt near as bad as I thought it would be.
  • JackieAllan1
    Options
    I log everything....good or bad, what is the point of not doing it, Once you starting cheating yourself it's a slippery slope that you are on!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,592 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate, I don't see the point of logging, good or bad, after the fact. I use the food diary as a planning tool, so I log everything before I eat it. I'd say 95 percent of the time, I stick to what I log. If something goes off track and I eat either more or less than what I'd planned, I don't bother to go back and change it. It has nothing to do with shame, embarrassment, or not being honest with myself. It's just that once it's eaten, logging my food ceases to be of value to me. I don't go back and reflect on what I've had, so it would be a waste of time to log what's in the past. I just get on with it and use my diary to plan my next day.

I like your style!!!

Thanks! I like your profile pic. :tongue: We have two resident bunnies at our house. They're pretty stinking cute.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Personally, I log everything because my body does.

^^^^ This!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everyone.

I guess in my case by logging the bad days, I have learned over time to make those bad days not as bad as they once were. Actually my bad day is going over by 500 or so, not 1500 or so back in days past. :)

Exactly! This site has helped me learn a lot by logging what I did each day good or bad.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I don't log, it because I ate mostly homemade food that I can't accurately count the calories of. I know it's fairly healthy (I made it!) but short of measuring everything to the last drop (which is not how I cook) and typing it all into a recipe calculator, then to estimate serving sizes...I know I ate well, so I don't give enough *#$*@ to go through it all.

As far as being held accountable: I don't need to publish my day to hold myself accountable. I don't rely on shame to make good or bad food choices. I'm not doing it out of guilt, or shame, or whatever stupid armchair psychology some people like to ascribe to everyone who does this.

I'm sure there are people who didn't log because they were ashamed. And I'm sure starting a whole thread ridiculing them for being unaccountable sad sacks will really encourage them to "do better".

I don't think those who obsessively chart and then feel superior about it are much better, if any, than those who occasionally cringe from the Finish This Day button.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    in my experience, people wont log it as it looks bad- have a friend who wont log bad foods as she is very competative and tries to look good!
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree, I came close to not logging yesterday because of that.
    But the knowledge that you have to log no matter what is one of the motivaters about this site.

So if you eat it log it !
    ill be doing a house to house search, and trust me: you dont want me there!

;))))))
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I agree and have commented much the same. If we only log the good days and ignore the bad, what's the point in logging? It's the bad days we need to look at, change, confront and own. Celebrate the good, acknowledge the bad... but don't ignore bad days.. that's what got many of us here to start with. Thanks for posting!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I said I wasn't going to log because I was going to a restaurant and knew it would be tough to estimate the calories and stress me out more than it was worth. I made healthy choices during the day and at the restaurant and then after all was said and done I decided to log after the fact so I could have a consistent record. I know it's not quite accurate, but it's probably roughly accurate.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Answer #1 Who gives rats *kitten* why people do or don't do something on their log. It does not effect you.

Answer # 2 See answer 1

But you give enough of a rats *kitten* to read this and comment on it. lol You can always move on to the next topic.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I see people saying you have to log everything you ate to be "accountable." To me, being accountable is eating what you ought to, not eating a bunch of junk and then patting yourself on the back for being honest and logging it. It's not how you log that determines your success but how you eat.

Edited to add: I reread what I wrote, and it came across as being more harsh than I intended. If logging a bad day after the fact helps someone make better choices next time, then I think it makes sense to log a bad day. For me personally, it wouldn't make any difference in what I do going forward, so it seems like an exercise in futility. I like the idea that each of us can use these tools in a way that works best for us as individuals. It's easy for all of us, myself included, to make assumptions about people's motivations based on what they do, but those assumptions aren't always accurate.

Also remember that some people go by weekly trends rather than each individual day's accuracy.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I log it all....The GOOD, The BAD & The UGLY!! It keeps me accountable plus if I gain or lose I want to be able to look back & see why that happened - what I did right or wrong....

I understand some people not logging though....To each their own... :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I agree!!
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I also think some people have days that are so bad that they actually forgot what they ate. When I do that, I do crazy things like logging 20,000 over because I freak out.
  • dlminnerjr
    dlminnerjr Posts: 9
    Options
    It seems to me that if you dont log a bad day the only person you are fooling is yourself because your body will react if you log it or not :)