Calories Burned: Sports and drills

Options
When MFP plugged in their exercise log numbers, did they account for the "down time" in sports?

I've started playing hockey recently, and I'd like to log the games and practices, but I don't know how I should log the time. It's not like it's a steady-state activity like jogging... time between whistles, time between shifts, time listening to the coach between drills at practice, etc.

For games, I've considered trying to count only my actual time on the ice while the game clock is running, but the numbers for that come out so low that they can't be right (less than a 45 minute weightlifting session). Counting everything could easily be an overestimate. For practices, I'm just logging half and hoping that's right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• gradmonkey
    gradmonkey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is investing in a heart rate monitor. It will average your caloric expenditure over a certain period of time. You can find good ones as cheap as $30 these days (try Amazon). When I had one, it showed my activity levels to be high consistently throughout the activity, even with downtime, but compared to a cardio workout session where there is no downtime, I definitely burned less calories.