Cellulite...help!

Options
2»

Replies

• missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ditto on weight training. I had pretty bad cellulite on my bum and the back of my thighs even when I got down to 114 pounds from my highest weight at 200. At 125 pounds after 10 weeks of weight lifting, it has gone down dramatically.
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ditto on weight training. I had pretty bad cellulite on my bum and the back of my thighs even when I got down to 114 pounds from my highest weight at 200. At 125 pounds after 10 weeks of weight lifting, it has gone down dramatically.

Thank you...you all are so encouraging!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Eat "Clean" and lift weights!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Everyone has cellulite. Cellulite is basically fat. If you have seen a picture of a fat replica, then you have seen how cellulite looks under your skin.

Cardio burns fat.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad cellulite on my upper thighs. I have been doing a lot of long hikes, some days with a 8 lb medicine ball. I have been taking some skin supplements called "For Her" by Katalyst. I use a real stiff body brush before bathing/showing. I have been using raw unrefined shea butter after bathing/showering. It has been around a month and a half and I can see everything smoothing quite nicely. I can almost where my short shorts again. I can't prove that the the supplements, brushing and shea are really helping the celluilte but they make my skin feel amazing.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    You simply have to lower body fat percentage, by whatever means. However, tanning helps a lot. In my opinion it also makes people look skinnier.

But remember to never tan your face!! Not only will you save some wrinkles, but the number one spot for skin cancer is on the nose.
  • ksio
    ksio Posts: 2
    Options
    There's an article in the New York Times this week called "Zeroing In on Cellulite." It's about a new treatment called Cellulaze that would be the first evidence-based treatment for cellulite: it disrupts the connective tissue that causes the dimpled look. The study sample sizes are small, though, and it's really expensive.

Edited to add: Of course, the first thing to do is lose fat and build muscle. I just mention this treatment because it was in the news and may be of interest to people who have very noticeable, intractable cellulite. The article is also relevant because, as it points out the evidence for this treatment, it also points out the lack of evidence for other treatments.
  • kelleymj
    Options
    I have pretty bad cellulite on my upper thighs. I have been doing a lot of long hikes, some days with a 8 lb medicine ball. I have been taking some skin supplements called "For Her" by Katalyst. I use a real stiff body brush before bathing/showing. I have been using raw unrefined shea butter after bathing/showering. It has been around a month and a half and I can see everything smoothing quite nicely. I can almost where my short shorts again. I can't prove that the the supplements, brushing and shea are really helping the celluilte but they make my skin feel amazing.
    Thank you for your response!! I am going to start out lifting weights. I already do alot of hiking up mountains...maybe I will add some weight!
  • kelleymj
    Options
    There's an article in the New York Times this week called "Zeroing In on Cellulite." It's about a new treatment called Cellulaze that would be the first evidence-based treatment for cellulite: it disrupts the connective tissue that causes the dimpled look. The study sample sizes are small, though, and it's really expensive.

Edited to add: Of course, the first thing to do is lose fat and build muscle. I just mention this treatment because it was in the news and may be of interest to people who have very noticeable, intractable cellulite. The article is also relevant because, as it points out the evidence for this treatment, it also points out the lack of evidence for other treatments.
    I actually saw this on a television show....would love to try it but it is too expensive for me. I will just have to hit the weights :wink:
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the number one key, and it really does need to be weights or something like high impact aerobics that challenge your muscles beyond just the big ones. Minor muscles, and even the muscle in the skin (that's what causes goose bumps, it's very different from skeletal muscle) will be what gives you the very firm, toned look and make a huge difference in keeping even skinny legs from jiggling when you walk. Creams with capsaicin, caffeine, or menthol just remove any retained fluids in the area, hence the temporary results. Dry brushing and kneading massage will do as much as the creams in most cases. Cellulite is caused by the fat in the skin, and it takes longer to come and go than other body fat, so you'll have to maintain a weight for a few months before you really know how much your cellulite has gone down.

I was a Licensed Massage Practitioner for six years here in Washington, and have gone through more training sessions about cellulite than I can count between school, product demos/training, and continuing education. There is no easy answer--otherwise we'd all be 'cured' of our orange peel legs. Kudos to your ladies who've been using coffee grounds in lotion, you just saved a ton of cash and got more active ingredient in your lotion! If you pre-mix a bunch of the coffee lotion, the caffeine will have released into the lotion better by the time you go to use it and you'll get even better results. I'm more than happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
  • kelleymj
    Options
    Exercise is the number one key, and it really does need to be weights or something like high impact aerobics that challenge your muscles beyond just the big ones. Minor muscles, and even the muscle in the skin (that's what causes goose bumps, it's very different from skeletal muscle) will be what gives you the very firm, toned look and make a huge difference in keeping even skinny legs from jiggling when you walk. Creams with capsaicin, caffeine, or menthol just remove any retained fluids in the area, hence the temporary results. Dry brushing and kneading massage will do as much as the creams in most cases. Cellulite is caused by the fat in the skin, and it takes longer to come and go than other body fat, so you'll have to maintain a weight for a few months before you really know how much your cellulite has gone down.

I was a Licensed Massage Practitioner for six years here in Washington, and have gone through more training sessions about cellulite than I can count between school, product demos/training, and continuing education. There is no easy answer--otherwise we'd all be 'cured' of our orange peel legs. Kudos to your ladies who've been using coffee grounds in lotion, you just saved a ton of cash and got more active ingredient in your lotion! If you pre-mix a bunch of the coffee lotion, the caffeine will have released into the lotion better by the time you go to use it and you'll get even better results. I'm more than happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
    Thank you so much for your response!! It is very helpful! :smile:
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I found my cellulite got a bit worse when I first dropped some pounds. Now that I am at my goal weight it is completely gone, even though I am over 40. I do not do any strength training, nor do I use any products specific to cellulite. I do a lot of walking, biking, running, hot yoga flow and I am generally very active. It think it is a function of bodyfat percentage and genetics, as well as exercise.
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I have 4 basic things which I have found help to zap my dreaded orange peel.

1) Lifting heavy
    2) Body brushing
    3) Moisturizing (I don't have a specific brand, I swear it's the actual moisturizing motion more than the product itself)
    4) Water water water water water

Sadly it's a bit genetic so if you've got it, it doesn't matter how much weight you lose you'll still probably have it (if it makes you feel better, Kate Moss is famous for being riddled with it!). The above should help to minimise it's appearance though.

Finally TRUST YOUR FIANCE - if he's saying you're gorgeous then trust me, you are :smile:

Sarah
  • kelleymj
    Options
    I have 4 basic things which I have found help to zap my dreaded orange peel.

1) Lifting heavy
    2) Body brushing
    3) Moisturizing (I don't have a specific brand, I swear it's the actual moisturizing motion more than the product itself)
    4) Water water water water water

Sadly it's a bit genetic so if you've got it, it doesn't matter how much weight you lose you'll still probably have it (if it makes you feel better, Kate Moss is famous for being riddled with it!). The above should help to minimise it's appearance though.

Finally TRUST YOUR FIANCE - if he's saying you're gorgeous then trust me, you are :smile:
    Awwww...thank you! I am trying to view my body in a differently. I am 44 years old and have pretty much hated it my whole life. Trying to be healthy...not only physically but mentally (not always easy) :frown:

Sarah
  • kelleymj
    Options
    I found my cellulite got a bit worse when I first dropped some pounds. Now that I am at my goal weight it is completely gone, even though I am over 40. I do not do any strength training, nor do I use any products specific to cellulite. I do a lot of walking, biking, running, hot yoga flow and I am generally very active. It think it is a function of bodyfat percentage and genetics, as well as exercise.

thank you!! I have been given alot of advice....all is wonderful!
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    Incredible results!

Tom

:smile:
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!