Do you weigh/measure your food?

Options
jbsangel
jbsangel Posts: 18 Member
I was just wondering who weighs/measures their food now or in the past? When I first got serious about losing weight, I bought a scale and started weighing my food to get an idea of how much a particular quantity of food actually was so I could log it on the site I was using at the time. After I felt I had a good grasp of how much something was, I felt the need to weight less and less. I actually also stopped counting my calories, as I was pretty confident on what I could eat and stay around where I wanted to be as far as calories were concerned.

After a bit of a rough time and a nice gain of about 15 lbs, when I got back on eating properly, I found when I went back to eating what I knew was proper, I wasn't losing any weight! I decided I better start logging again (hence joining MFP) and even weighing foods again.

I find it really helpful. I know this stuff is all estimates anyway, but weighing the food helps me feel like I've taken some of the estimation and uncertainty out of the equation.

Just thought I'd pass on something that has been working for me both currently in the past. If you are numbers geek like me, you might finding weighing your food to be helpful. I don't do it to make myself eat only a certain amount of food, I weigh it so I can know how much I ate and remember if that was too much, too little, or just right.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Yup, I almost always weigh my food - at least items that have larger amounts of calories (I don't concern myself as much about things like leafy vegetables) - and will continue to do so until I get to my weight goal and have a couple of months of maintenance behind me. It's more accurate than measuring cups, and a lot more accurate than eyeballing the portion.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yep. Still doing it a year into it. Makes logging things easier and more accurate.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I was measuring some stuff, but just bought a scale today.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yep. I use measuring cups and have 2 different scales, both of which are probably 15 years old.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I use a scale& measuring cups. As i lose more, i find i need to be more accurate with my measurements in order to continue losing.
  • carrie31023
    carrie31023 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I eat! Been doing it for a very long time. I am a diabetic and trying to get off all the medicine I am on. Keep measuring! LOL
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would be completely lost without my scales!! I use digital ones and they're so quick and easy.
    Saying that, now I have a grasp of how much fruit/vegetables weigh, I tend to guestimate as a few grams here and there don't really make that big a difference to the numbers....
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I weigh everthing! Even spinach, cucumbers, etc!

It makes counting accurate calories so much easier! I love it.
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never have, except the occasional "I wonder what 6 ounces of yogurt looks like".
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do, especially protein!!
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    Yes, I weigh and measure my food. I am not good at eyeballing amounts.
  • scarlet_goddess13
    Options
    Absolutely! Even at work! My coworkers think I'm nuts but oh well. I measure and only eat the serving sizes. Then, I eat slow to make sure that I am not overeating. I always take a snack just to make sure that I do not get hungry and binge later...
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Of course. Weighing/measuring is a bit neurotic, but accuracy is what gets you the results
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't be arsed with all the fuss tbh. I just either go by the packet, my eye, or simply guess.

Worked so far for me! :)
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Absolutely without a missing a beat! Every NEW food and drink that I haven't weighed or measured out in the recent past gets plopped on the scale or dirties up yet another measuring device. I simply do not trust myself to be accurate all the time so I rely on my scale a lot. My SO thinks it's too funny and often challenges me to guess how much an item weighs and the winner doesn't have to do the dishes or take out the trash etc., lol!

It's particularly difficult to be right on the money when I'm especially hungry, like after running all my errands during the lunch hours and skipping a meal. When I get home I'm famished and just want to eat whatever is easiest and don't make the smartest food choices, hence, the weighing/measuring. If I do make a bad food choice, I have done it in moderation. That, makes me feel okay about my choices.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh just about everything.
  • Corrin17
    Corrin17 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do occasionally, but am trying to do it more. I eyeball a size, then measure it to see how accurate I am. It is a good learning experience.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    After awhile it becomes easier to eyeball things but I still weigh almost everything even after 2 years.
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    I weigh everything. Every time.