Lowfat/Low Calorie Cake or Brownies?

Options
Kempossible
Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
Hi MFP's!

First of all I want to say my name is Kempossible and I am a Cakeaholic! I was just wondering if anyone had any receipes for cake or brownies that are either low cal, low fat, high fiber etc etc... Im looking for ways to make cake or brownies a bit healthier. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi Cakeaholic,

I'm a cakeaholic too! I sorry I can't pass on any ideas as I CAN'T have ANY sweets. I don't trust myself as I think that's why I got into this situation. I'm not sure if I'll EVER be able to enjoy cake/cookies again :(

Wishing you all good things! And good luck with the baking :)

:drinker:
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm also cake addicted and totally understand.
    But I'm also from France and dont particualry dig american cakes, I find them way too sweet. Anyway, my point is if you bake your cakes yourself, you know exactly what you put inside. Then you put only natural ingredients, then you can add less sugar and less fat. Plus your family/friends will be happy !

Another possibilities is to make fruitcakes rather than chocolate cakes...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Here's one I've tried before:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/252517-1-minute-cup-cake?hl="cup"cake&page=1#posts-3335406

I also like to have a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Easy. Take a box of chocolate cake mix and replace the oil, eggs and water with 1 cup of fat free plain Greek yogurt. Bake per box instructions.

Macros:
    PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 180 calories, 3.25g fat, 306mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 20g sugars, 3.5g protein

I actually make cupcakes instead and it cuts everything in half. I divide the batter out to make 6 cupcakes and freeze in individual bags for later.

If you want more fiber, just add Fibersure to the batter. It's tasteless and not gritty.
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Glad to hear Im not the only Cakeaholic! LOL!
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Easy. Take a box of chocolate cake mix and replace the oil, eggs and water with 1 cup of fat free plain Greek yogurt. Bake per box instructions.

Macros:
    PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 180 calories, 3.25g fat, 306mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 20g sugars, 3.5g protein

I actually make cupcakes instead and it cuts everything in half. I divide the batter out to make 6 cupcakes and freeze in individual bags for later.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    At my Weight Watcher's group someone made a cake from a cake mix, they substituted all the ingredients with a can of diet soda (so no eggs or oil, just the diet soda). So with a chocolate cake, they used diet coke. A white cake they used 7UP or cream soda for a pink cake. It apparently cuts the calories right down. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's just as good as the regular ingredients. I'm going to try it in a couple of weeks for my daughter's cake...

And apparently you have to bake it a little longer, but it looks and tastes just as good...
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oooo, the yogurt idea sounds better than my idea!!! I'm going to try that instead!
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Macros:

If you want more fiber, just add Fibersure to the batter. It's tasteless and not gritty.

does this work with other flavors, maybe a yellow cake mix?
  • julesmcclelland
    Options
    This has been adapted from a Hungry Girl recipe and I've used it with sucess on different cake mixes:

1/2 box moist cake mix (any flavor)
    1 1/2 tspn baking powder
    1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
    1/2 cup club soda (unflavored)

Mix all ingredients together and either pour into 8x8 dish or makes about 9 cupcakes. Bake btwn 20-25 mins at 350.
    They are very light in texture and taste just like they should.
    1 cupcake = approx 121 cals
    **I top mine with Philadelphia Indulgence at only 55 cals a tblspn instead of frosting.
  • 8620eater
    8620eater Posts: 9
    Options
    You can take any brownie mix or cake mix and instead of using the oil and eggs, use vanilla yogurt and 1/2 the required egg. sometimes adding vanilla or coco will help with flavor too. Weight Watchers had a recipe for any cake mix just add a can of diet soda, say 7 up for vanilla...have had the cakes with the WW idea and they weren't that bad...
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Thanks Jules! That sounds great!
  • chellk71
    chellk71 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm bad. I use boxed brownie mixes. I remove the oil and add applesauce. Also take out the whole eggs and use egg whites and add some ground flax.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try the black bean brownies. Maybe that will work?
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cakeaholic but if I want a bit of a treat I make this chocolate cake:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eatingwells_died_and_went_to_heaven_chocolate_cake.html

I modify it even further:
    *cut the sugars in half (it's quite sweet). if you really do like it sweet, cut the sugar but add some dark chocolate chips or dates. Cocoa nibs are great for more intense flavour.
    *replace some of the flour with oat bran.
    *I use evoo instead of canola. I assume you can even use applesauce but I haven't tried yet:)
    *replace buttermilk w/ skim milk & a squeeze of lemon juice.
    *skip the icing.

it's easy & you get a nice moist cake! enjoy :smile:
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! You guys are Awesome!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try the black bean brownies. Maybe that will work?
    I tried them and found disgusting, but a lot of people here love them. I guess it depends on your taste!
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is good. Use chocolate cake mix and blend in 1 can of pumpkin. Then bake as directed. It may be a little more like browines than cake. It is also good to use a spice cake mix. Hope you will like this!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Macros:

does this work with other flavors, maybe a yellow cake mix?

I haven't personally tried it but have heard it works. You could also use 1 cup no sugar added applesauce for vanilla or yellow cake mixes. When I use the Greek yogurt it gives it a velvety taste and is so good!