Should Cheat Meals/ Days Be Allowed.............?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days.. I do a more of what ever happens with my food happens. If I want a burger, I eat a burger... If I want fries, then I eat fries.. If I want ice cream, I eat ice cream.

Does that mean I eat massive portions? No. I eat a serving size and I'm done. Since I've lost 29 pounds and maintain fine, I highly doubt this mentality has hindered my weight loss process.
  • boocah
    boocah Posts: 7
    Options
    "Cheat" days do work, I believe. Letting yourself binge one day a week or so keeps your metabolism high and makes it more likely for you to stick to your diet the rest of the week, too!
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days, I call them "reward days" and have one once a week or every 2 weeks. I eat what I like that day, but not large amounts. But I enjoy those days a lot.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I train dirty so I can eat dirty all the time. I'm usually under my goal but sometimes I'm not and as long as I decided to be over (not a binge) I'm fine with it. I like where I'm at even now, so I'm not in so much of a hurry that I'll miss out on free pizza at work!
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have 1 'splurge' day a week where I do go a little ott BUT I
    stick to 1200 cals for the rest of the week (eat about 70% of
    exercise cals back) and I'm losing about 1lb a week which
    I'm thrilled with.

Monday (my 'splurge' day) is the only day off I have with my
    husband and I don't want to either obsess about cals or feel
    left out on this day. I still log everything.

This is working for me now and I reserve the right to change
    my mind in the future but while I'm losing, I'll keep my 1 day
    a week for treats.

Whatever you decide, good luck
    Nicola xxx
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should have a cheat day, whether it be once a week or once a month....depends on prefrence.
    I have cheat days but I also always have extra calories from the rest of he week so actually it is a "make up day". :wink:
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always let myself go over by about 500 calories one day a week. Sometimes its for a party, birthday dinner, etc. or sometimes it's unplanned--someone brings treats to work or I am too exhausted to go to the gym (I eat back my workout calories). If it's a really special occaision (e.g. Thanksgiving, my birthday) I give extra wiggle room too.

However, I don't do a day a week where I don't log or think of it as a total break. I know that this works for a lot of people, but I think I'd save all my indulgences for that one day and undo all my hard work on the other six!