Elliptical Troubles

Options
histora
histora Posts: 287 Member
Hello,

I've found a recurring issue when I use my elliptical. I'll get about 10 minutes into my 30-40 min workout, and my right foot and toes start to go to sleep. My back doesn't hurt, my knees don't hurt, but my foot goes numb.

I've adjusted the stride on my foot peddles, but that hasn't changed it. I have sciatica, but on the other side.

It's just so strange, and I don't want to get rid of my machine, but if this doesn't stop, I will perhaps trade this one in for another elliptical or perhaps a treadmill.

Anyone else have this problem? Have a suggestion on how to adjust things? Or should I just dump it and get another machine?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem after bout 30 minutes. I would look into changing your shoes or get padding for your shoes. I just work thru it.
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    It happened to me tho other day in Zumba class. I know I had my shoes too tight. They were new and I had not gotten them adjusted yet. I also have weak arches and was trying to lend extra support. What I did was cut off my circulation! It happened again on the elliptical as well. I took my shoe off and put it back on, less tight and it stopped.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem for years. I get it 15 minutes in. It's because a nerve is being pinched in the foot from the pressure. I haven't got it yet looked at by a doctor, but the only thing I have done is buy the doctor shoals inserts for arch support. It's not the machine. It's your feet. Sorry! I deal with it, and if it really bothers me, I quit and use the bike.
  • roberta65
    roberta65 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hello,
    I had the same problem until a trainer told me it was because I was leaniig too far forward on my foot and lifting my heal off the pedal slightly. Your foot should stay in contact with the pedal the entire time . Thats what i do now ( it did take some time to get use to it ) and no more numb toes. So I hope this helps you .
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me, but it doesn't anymore. So I think it was something to do with some weakness or imbalance that I had before I had really worked out.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I get the same issue. I just stop for a couple seconds,shake it out,and keep going.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sciatica is horrible! All kinds of strange things can happen when a nerve is compressed. Try adjusting posture or positions as suggested, but if it doesn't help, maybe go harder for the shorter period of time you have to work with, take a break and hit it again!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happens to me too in about 35-40 mins. I tend to overwork the right side of my body be it cardio or strength training simply because I feel like my right side has more strength and the issue was solved when I started consciously putting more pressure on my left leg so I worked both sides equally...
  • ghostfire86
    Options
    Part of the reason for your foot going numb is due to pressure on a nerve, however the larger reason is due to blood flow. Walking is in essence like a heart beat. The body uses the pressure of your foot stepping down to assisst in pushing the blood back up towards the heart. With the olyptical you never take your foot off of the pedal and therefore keep constant pressure with no release. I find that by rocking my feet on the pedals (from the balls of the feet to the toes as if I were running) I gain feeling back in my feet.
    Hope this helps.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me as well...until I got new shoes. Now my feet are fine until about 90 minutes (and really, who wants to be on the elliptical that long anyway!)
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for your advice and experience.

I've tried with shoes on and shoes off, so I don't think it's my shoes, but I am getting a new pair anyways, so I'll see if that helps.

I wonder if I have the same problem as Pspedal and roberta65. The numbness is in the opposite side of my sciatica, so I might be overcompensating on the bad side of my legs, and my posture on the machine is probably not fully aligned.

Now I have some variables to work with, and I thank you all for giving me the insight I needed to figure it out. I didn't want to get rid of it!
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem (sciatica and herniated discs - lots of fun) - I have a pair of sneakers that are a 1/2 size too big that I wear on the elliptical or stationary bike, the extra space give me room to move my foot a bit which helps prevent my feet from going numb.