Butter? Margarine?

Options
What is the healthiest one to eat? Butter or margarine? And what brand is best as well? I eat a lot of Country Crock and am worried that that may be what is keeping me down. Help??

Replies

• akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You should never use margarine. It's not natural and it's made of unhealthy fats like vegetable oil or canola oil that has been hydrogenated. Despite what some people will say, canola oil and vegetable oils are very unhealthy. Chemicals such as hexane, are used to extract the oils. The only type of oil/fat I will use in my cooking is olive oil, butter, or coconut oil. A little bit of butter goes a long way, just pay attention to how much you use. If you are using butter to spread, you should keep it at room temperature because it's easier to spread so you will use less. My family has always kept the butter out of the fridge, and we've been fine. This link tells you about how margarine is made.

http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/how-is-margarine-made.html
  • dbsykes
    dbsykes Posts: 5
    Options
    I always heard butter was better so that was what I always used. However, my recent blood worked showed my cholesterol was a whopping 260. I now use Smart Balance Original only 35 calories TBS, and it tastes pretty good.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Butter...it's natural and not created in a lab like margarine! Plus who doesn't love butter!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Buttah! :bigsmile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    in before some ignoramus claims margarine is one molecule away from plastic.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Butter!
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    Butter!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    I always heard butter was better so that was what I always used. However, my recent blood worked showed my cholesterol was a whopping 260. I now use Smart Balance Original only 35 calories TBS, and it tastes pretty good.
    The calorie trade-off is what makes "butter alternatives" so attractive... don't believe the hype though.

A SUPER easy way to help improve cholesterol is by eating low-fat dairy products every day. The calcium (specifically from dairy) actually HELPS your body excrete fat and lower LDL in the bloodstream.

BUTTER BABY.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Butter...it's natural and not created in a lab like margarine! Plus who doesn't love butter!

Me! I absolutely hate the taste of butter. But I could lick margarine from a spoon xD
  • beccafreak
    beccafreak Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I officially made the switch to strictly butter and olive oil today :) I appreciate your help :)
  • Jenniriggins
    Jenniriggins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For a quick spreadable fix...mix equal parts olive oil to butter.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    Butter 10 - margarine 0
    Butter wins!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Butter, very heart healthy. Notice thee major increase in heart disease started right about the time doctors started pushing margarine instead of butter? About 10 years ago those same doctors basically said, "Oops..." Take butter over margarine, any day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot....BUT BUTTER! For almost everything.
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    butter for me!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I officially made the switch to strictly butter and olive oil today :) I appreciate your help :)

Good for you! (Butter tastes better, too!)

I really like butter in dishes and baking, but I still try to eat it in moderation and use olive and coconut oil for daily use.

On a side note, I get compliments on the cookies i make, and I think it's because I use fresh butter everytime!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    in before some ignoramus claims margarine is one molecule away from plastic.

i was waiting for someone to say it....
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Another vote towards butter here.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    if you have a problem with cholesterol... butter isnt best for you.... doc explained to me...if tis hard before eating...it will be that way in your arteries. I use becel.... my HDL and LDL is now excellent and my blood pressure awsome. everyone has to use what is best for them.... no set rule IMO is concrete for all.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Your question was Butter or Margarine.. well Butter, but really NEITHER.

What do you need it for? Use olive oil to cook with. Bread can have olive oil mayonnaise. Butter isn't necessary for any food. The veggies don't need butter to flavor them, add some basil to the veg and skip the potatoes all together.

Honestly, I haven't had butter or margarine since Aug'11. Don't miss it now.