Umm...Embarrassing Question about...bowel movements...

Options
I'm not eating any extra fiber-ish foods nor am I taking any vitamins or medicines of any kind. I usually only have a bowel movement once a day if that and nothing really much. But today I worked out for a solid two hours for the first time in months and drank more water than normal but otherwise ate like I normally do. Is it normal to have an increase in bowel movements after exercising?? Not that I'm worried, it's just very irregular for me...I apologize, this is extremely embarrassing and very TMI, I'm just hoping it is normal...

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    That happens to me and my bf too
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your question. I do know that you should be "having a bowel movement" at least 4 times a day. As this is what I saw on good ole Dr. Oz and also what I have read is a healthy amount. It should also be squiggily like an "S" shape or a "C".

Hahah yeah TMI. Ah well, everyone does it.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Exercise will get your blood flowing and get everything moving. It's normal.

Also, normal BMs can be 1-3 per day or every other day, depending on your diet and lifestyle.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It's just like taking your dog outside to play after eating to get him to poop.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    A person should have a bowel movement 1 to 3 times a day.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Whenever I run, I get the urge. Usually about ten minutes in!!

I downloaded an app on my phone called Poo Tracker. You mark each time you 'go' and also what the consistency was. I heard that whatever is normal for you is normal, but it's when that changes that you should ask your doctor to check it out. Tracking it helps keep me sane.

I love poo stories!!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Have you ever heard of runners who actually go during a race? Also, everytime I take my 2 year old to the park and he runs around for 20 minutes, he poops. I think it is normal.
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it at all, when you gotta go, you gotta go. :) Unless it looks irregular or is painful, or doesn't stop (then see a dr), your body's just doing it's thing. I noticed a change in frequency when I increased my water intake as well.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Funny you should bring that up. I just did a search for "runner's diarrhea" and tips for avoiding it. We're normal, but having to take unplanned restroom breaks is annoying.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yes. Biologically exercise gets things moving. NORMAL. ;-)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of runners who actually go during a race? Also, everytime I take my 2 year old to the park and he runs around for 20 minutes, he poops. I think it is normal.

Going for a run guarantees I'm going to poop. I often feel my bowels cramping on the run, but so far I've always made it home on time :-) .
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    It's just like taking your dog outside to play after eating to get him to poop.

^ haha. so true! But yea it is normal.
  • mseraf713
    mseraf713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Totally normal- exercise gets your lymphatic system going so it sounds about right! I like to think that my body is telling me thank you when the "pipes are emptied!" :)
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Also the added water helps move things along as well :)
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    wow...really?? 1-4 times a day?? who would ever want to leave the bathroom? I would die if I ever went that often...no way...I am quite happy with my every other day or every 3 days LOL and that is even when I eat extra fiber LOL
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My dad says that if you're constipated, go for a walk to get your intestines moving. He's an internist, but I've never known if he's just joking when he says that because he likes to make poop jokes. I haven't noticed anything about that for me though. I go 2-3 times a day, usually after I eat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why be embarrassed? Everybody does it - it's just a normal biological function.

But to your question, yes - exercise seems to encourage the process.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Exercise does encourage the bowels so it's perfectly normal.

Also, to all the people saying you should have 1-3 bowel movements a day, that isn't true. You need to have what is normal for you which ranges for 3-4 a day to 3-4 a week. The important thing is that you're not straining when you do and that the stool is formed and smooth. I love talking about bowel movements (soon to be doctor!)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Actuall dont be embarrassed because this is a fitness forum and bowel movement is an IMPERATIVE indicator of your body status. you should have a bowel movement everyday but i think 2-4 a day (depending on how you eat) is desired by the medical experts. Exercising (especially stomach workouts), H20, and Fiber at the right daily should be perfect. At the point you dont have least one a day that is a sign of problems coming so keep up those and they ALL work together
  • PottyMrs
    PottyMrs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i once saw on a program that the more you excersise the better you will find going to the loo. something to do with its not just our muscles and things that are getting a workout but so are our internal organs causing them to work more efficiently! I always feel the urge to go to the loo after a workout! its like all the excersise pushes it round my insides faster lol!