Discouraged and don't know why...

Options
Hello out there. I have just recently hit 80 days with MFP and things have really gone well over all. I was part of a biggest loser challenge and actually got 4th place and $50 out of the deal. I am down 25 lbs. since starting and am down one clothing size. You would think this would keep me going but I feel like I am hitting a motivational wall.

Working out is mentally a LOT harder and I am finding I am being inconsistent with it recently. I have been good with my calories until today when I turned back to the emotional eating. Can anyone relate to this mental slump? I have come really far but all I can see is how far I have to go and I get worn out.

Looking for a shot in the arm...

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You're doing such an amazing job! I've definitely been there with the loss of motivation...it's why I regained the weight I lost a couple years ago. This time, I have almost hit that same weight, and I'm still going strong. I wish I could tell you the magic answer, but I'm at a loss as to why I'm sticking to it this time. I could say, "Oh, this time it's a lifestyle change!" or "I know I'm worth it!" but those words are just that: words. And while they're true, it doesn't mean this is easy. Just know that we're here to cheer you on if you need it. I wish you the best :flowerforyou:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A 'weightloss holiday', eating enough calories to maintain your weight without gaining, for one or two weeks, might do the trick.
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always close my eyes and remember why I started, what my reasons, and how close I am already to my short term goal. It's hard I know but like you said, you already came this far, don't say "how far I have to go". Enjoy the road to get there. Smile when you think to yourself its almost time to workout. Cause you have a great one:smile: fight back that feeling you can do it
  • womaninashoe6
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. It is just nice to know that I am not the only one that feels like this. I so appreciate the encouragement. Now it is time to take a deep breath and carry on.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I would suggest trying a different exercise routine. Find something you really enjoy doing, and listening to music you love, or an audio book or possibly watch a tv show (depending on exercises) helps too. Play around with healthy foods, you can make really delicious dishes. Maybe you are eating boring food. There are sites (including this one in the community area) that have good, quick, easy, inexpensive recipes. Or just play around and make your own. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Otherwise the weight will probably just come back. It's ok to eat something you really like or miss now and then, just don't eat too much. If your bored with what you're doing, you're not likely to keep it up. Hope that helps! :)
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate that emotional eating!! I have that challenge daily. I'm trying to read about it to learn why I do it and to learn techniques to stop myself from doing it. I swear the more aware I become, I want to eat even more. So I know there is something that is really bugging me. I'll get there.

For now I need to get back to focusing not on my emotions; but on my health. My overall health will be my focus later. My health is taking care of myself with proper exercise and eating. I'm in pain alot and KNOW what it feels like when I weigh closer to 200#. These 26lbs make a huge difference.

So let's get ourselves pumped up!! I like what others were writing to you about changing it up a bit: eating different foods, exercise, and add some variety to it.

If you find yourself reaching for food when you have strong feelings. Write it out! Instead of stuffing your emotions, write about them. Food is fuel for our bodies, not for stuffing emotions.

Feel the emotions, feed the body!!

Hope that helps. :D I need this boost as much as you, if not more!! I've been "off" for too long! But I'm here now and have joined a losse 5# in May challenge. Try that, too!!