does it matter...?

Options
does it matter if i have a midnight snack as long as i am within my caloric limit? will this lead to weight gain?

Replies

• Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You should try to wait atleast 3 hours before sleeping after you eat, as your metabolism slows down and it turns the food to fat instead of putting it to good use.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You should try to wait atleast 3 hours before sleeping after you eat, as your metabolism slows down and it turns the food to fat instead of putting it to good use.

Agreed :drinker:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    yes if your going to weigh in the morning if not go for it as long as you stay within your calories but the best thing is to forget food :tongue:
  • weasleman42
    Options
    I don't worry about when I eat. I eat when I am hungry. If I eat late, I usually record for the day before I go to sleep. So, if it is past midnight, I'll record it for the previous day. When I wake up, I start recording for that day. Good luck!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not to go against what everyone else is saying, but I frequently have meals late at night. I get home late so in turn I eat my last meal late. I know that there are downfalls to eating so close to bed time (insomnia, heartburn, etc.) but I usually dont have a problem and still lose weight. My only rule is that if it isnt in my log for the day...it doesn't go in my mouth.

Again...this is JUST my opinion so don't beat up on me guys!
  • faerlie
    Options
    Not to go against what everyone else is saying, but I frequently have meals late at night. I get home late so in turn I eat my last meal late. I know that there are downfalls to eating so close to bed time (insomnia, heartburn, etc.) but I usually dont have a problem and still lose weight. My only rule is that if it isnt in my log for the day...it doesn't go in my mouth.

Again...this is JUST my opinion so don't beat up on me guys!

I have to agree, I work 12 hour shifts and don't get home till 8pm.... I don't have time to eat a lot at work, so I often eat past 8pm..... I just try to eat healthy, and not over do it...... I think a good night sleep is as essential to weight loss as food intake..

273077.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    so what you are saying is...there is no single answer to this question! i hate that!!! haha thanks for your input y'all!

p.s.
    HAPPY THURSDAY!! definitely goingto work a glass of wine into my diet today!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you do some searching on the internet, you'll find all kinds of different answers to this question. I read one article that says it doesn't matter when you eat. It is still just calories in, calories out. But, the same article said it still wasn't great for you to eat a BIG meal too close to bed because it can cause you to have sleep problems. Of course, sleeping on an empty stomach can do the same thing. You'll just have to see what works for you.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    It does all boil down to calories in vs. calories out.

However, I have read that you want your last meal/snack/anything with calories about 3 hours before you go to sleep. This is because you need that hunger hormone (grehlin I think) to have moderate levels so that while you sleep it counter-acts another hormone (insulin?) to help you hit those deep levels of sleep that you need, which will make you feel more refreshed the next day and keep you from feeling hungry all day and overeating. I've tested eating right before bed vs. eating a few hours before and the only difference is that if I eat right before bed I usually wake up starving, but if I eat a few hours before I wake up feeling only slightly hungry. Weird stuff.

Don't quote me exactly on those hormones... this is stuff I've read out of Jillian's latest book. I have since loaned it to family members that are trying to lose weight and I may be off on my hormone names. hehe

Of course its different for everyone, so you may be able to eat right before bed without waking up with some raging stomach gurgles. lol
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, hunger wakes me up at night - to me this is proof I overdid it at the gym and did not properly nourish myself during the day. If I do NOT eat a small snack when I have real hunger pangs at night, that same hunger will keep me awake til dawn, which in turn will result in a crappy day following. That's my only exception to eating at night.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My trainer says it doesn't matter as long as the calories are within the right limits
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist tell me once that you should think of your body like a piggy bank. It does not matter if you put a dollar in it now or at 10 PM; its still only a dollar. Same thing goes for calories. The problem with eating at night is that most people have already reached their calorie limit and they are going over when they get the midnight munchies.
  • roshong06
    Options
    so what you are saying is...there is no single answer to this question! i hate that!!! haha thanks for your input y'all!

p.s.
    HAPPY THURSDAY!! definitely goingto work a glass of wine into my diet today!

Oh...me too! Enjoy your glass of wine tonight with a smile!!! I know I will!!!:drinker: