Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor - to track calories and heart rate activity during excersise. Have you found them beneficial? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exercise without one...it's the only way to get a correct calorie burn. I love mine. Most people on here would recommend a Polar brand, an F7 I think. Mine is a Sportsline, I really love it but if I had read the recommendations on MFP before I bought it I probably would have gone with the Polar.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My Polar HRM works well. I recommend you get a footpod as well so that you can track your distance while running.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    polar ft4. cheaper, reliable and easy to use.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I am currently training for a 10k and wish I would have gotten one to track my mileage. I like the FT4 b/c it is basic i.e. has a strap with a removable sensor/transmitter and a watch which displays your heart rate, calories burned, duration. It also stores your workout history. You just have to remember to press the button BEFORE you start your workout. LOL
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you want GPS + HRM, go Garmin.

If you want HRM only, go with Polar.

Pick the model based on the features you want and the $$$ you have to spend.

Beware of battery life on GPS models. The wrist units are generally rechargeable b/c the GPS eats up batteries, but the run time needs to be longer than your typical exercise time for it to be effective (no one wants to log just 1/2 a workout!).

I've had a Garmin 310XT for 3 years and I love it, but I also use it as a bike computer, running computer, and to upload my workouts and maps to my computer. Might be overkill if all you want is a HRM but I am a data geek so I love it!

Good luck!
    Jen
  • bolsaguns
    bolsaguns Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm also looking for a hrm that has Bluetooth to work with my iPhone any suggestions?
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to all this, silly question, what's the strap like? Does it get bothersome when you workout on the Polar FT4?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to all this, silly question, what's the strap like? Does it get bothersome when you workout on the Polar FT4?

You grow accustomed to the strap being there like wearing a bra LOL men probably can't relate to that. I actually forget it is on most of the time. I have popped the sensor/transmitter off a couple of times during my workouts. But that isn't bad for 2 out of 90 workouts. I have had the FT4 about 3 months now.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 GPS, the chest belt does not bother me, but I worry about the "watch" when I'm doing some kettlebell exercises where it comes down next to my wrist.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    FT4 - got mine yesterday and have already used it. Very nice and user friendly.
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT7 and its the best! having an HRM help me set goals and aim for a higher HR with my Insanity, pushing myself more. Bought mine in Amazon.
  • supratt
    supratt Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm also looking for a hrm that has Bluetooth to work with my iPhone any suggestions?

As long as you have an iPhone 4S (will not work with a 4), the following Wahoo product is the most elegant solution, and costs just $79.99. Google for some reviews.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Blue-HR-Heart-Rate-Strap-for-iPhone-4S.asp
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a Runalyzer key? It looks like it will work to sync with my Oregon scientific HRM so I can just use the iPhone instead of the watch - does it work well for you? Would you recommend it? Do you like the compatible apps?
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I bought a garmin yesterday on trademe (NZ's answer to e-bay). Can't wait to get it! At the moment I have absolutely no idea how many calories I'm burning so tend not to log exercise at all.