Are you meant to up your calories when weight lifting?

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
im female and im thinking about starting to focus on weights instead of cardio. id like to lose another % of body fat but my lean body mass is quite low.
Can i lose fat% from building lean body mass?
would you recomend a womens training prog?
i keep heaaring you have to eat more calories ...eek. anyone expand on this?
thank you

Replies

• Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    I bumped mine up and not only do my workouts kick a lot more butt (more energy), the body fat has flown off me in comparison to a lower cal diet. You're still in a deficit - just a dmaller one. The aim is to preserve as much lean muscle as possible when losing fat so you get a defined, fit look without losing muscle - muscle is vital to keep your metabolism revving and keep that weight off!
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    so did you half your defecit? did you eat more on lifting days?
    what program did you follow?
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    I used to eat for 2 pounds a week loss but now its 1-0.5 depending on how hungry I am lol! Yes I defo ate more on lifting after a good workout I am famished my muscles scream at me hehe!!! And I read New Rules of lifting for women but kindve also did my own research on the net and compiled workouts that suited me best and most importantly what I liked - if you like exercising you will wanna stick at it after all!
  • dragonsheart
    Options
    i joined the Jamie Eason 12 week programe and in that the frist 4 weeks you do build muscle than the next 4 weeks do cardio or something closet to that just started. it was free on the web
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i havent increased my calories that much but i'm also not trying to gain muscle. i'm not new to lifting by any means and used to powerlift in the past, so i have enough muscle already.

even if you dont eat more calories, you'll probably find that you'll need to eat more protein since protein really helps with recovery