Starving to feeding

Options
13»

Replies

• elijahgo1
    elijahgo1 Posts: 17
    Options
    The HRM states it will adjust it quite a bit. Personally, I have "registered" myself as a "seditary" lifestyle. This way, I can add pretty much (manually) any activities I do. I think what the HRM is telling you is that you are more active than you initially thought. Every day things like going to the grocery store, housework, or holding your kids burn calories. As far as loosing lbs. You might gain some because your body may be in "storage" mode; however, when your metabolism balances out, it you'll get back on track for weight loss.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your HRM is accurate? And if so, how do you do it? I work out quite frequently, but I never get passed 1600 of work-out calories burnt.
    Only 600-900 are from working out, the rest are just what I burn during a normal day. So my BMR is 2,700-2,900.
    I have been logging start/finish calories at the beginning and end of working out to track my caloreies burned from working out.

My understanding is that a HRM is good ONLY for workouts, it will drastically overestimate your overall. You want something like a bodybug or a fitbit (is that what it's called), or something similar made for measuring overall metabolic rate.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Regular HRM are not meant to be worn all day. Doing that will give you very inaccurate information. If it is a bodybugg, fitbit, etc then it is more reliable.
    This. I hit 3400 with my hrm and I now use a bodybugg and my days are really generally 2k or less
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've become very interested in this topic. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs. I've worked out my BMR = 1630 TDEE 2236 using online calculators. I did the Cambridge diet 2 years ago, lost a ton of weight really quickly but then put twice as much on !! Now I really struggle to lose weight even at 1200 cals per day. I think my metabolism is pooped from doing the Cambridge, and I really like the theory behind this eat more method. I'm going to up my cals to 1800 a day and see what happens. I think
    It'll be the boost and the fix that my metabolism needs to work properly again. Fingers crossed x
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 days in from upping my cals from 1400 to 1700 I've gained 900gms. It will most likely be a kilo by weigh in tomorrow morning.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

The stickies on this page are great. If you post questions there you can get help with your exact numbers. I'd recommend joining that group :)
  • BoxingLady95
    Options
    Okay so I dont know what an HRM is... But I do know starving yourself isnt good. Everyone says that, But the first time i tryed starving myself I dropped 3 pounds in one day went on for a week, then I found potato chips and gained 15 pounds the next week.

You should expect to gain 15-30 lbs. depending on how much you lost and how much you take in.

It always takes more effort to loose it then to gain it... You can always eat whatever you want.. As long as you double your workout... Workouts too most people think they can jump right in... Build up to it. It took me a week before I could do 5 pushups...

Just a little advice and support from another person expierencing the almost same problem :(
    15-30 pounds!!! That is what I have lost 30 lbs! Nooooooo!!!! I will never let that weight come back. I have been eating 1,200-1,600 calories for years because that was just how I ate not because I was on a diet. I became over weight because I did not eat enough and on the days I did go over board, pizza, burgers ect...my body held on to it. This is so confusing and aggravating.

Nooooo you will not gain 15-30 lbs!!!! I have read tons of stories on here about eating more, and I have NEVER heard of a number that high. Depending on how long you've been eating low calorie, you can expect a gain but not that high. Something is wrong with the process if you gain that much weight.

Read the sticky post about having patience when starting to eat more, and you just have to trust that the couple pounds are temporary and after that first fluctuation, your metabolism will allow you to eat more for the long haul, it's worth it.

Im not saying it happens to everybody but when you eat nothing and drink only water and coffee to get through your day. Not to mention an 8 mile run a day. When you crash, you binge. Thats what gains the wieght back. Your talking about a low calorie diet but when you only DRINK 20-35 calories a day and burn up that x2. You loose a significant weight. Thats why I said Depending On How Much You Take In And How Much You Lost Is What You Should Expect To Gain... Not everyone has the same gain or loss as everyone else.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight on 2000 calories a day...

my BMR is 1685, and my TDEE is somewhere around 2400 - 2700, depending on how much I work out.

I make sure that I net at least 1700.. but I usually net 1900 - 2000.

And I am losing weight. I'm 5'3".

You might bump up a few pounds (probably no more than 5lbs) in the first couple of weeks, but it will then melt off after that, and take friends with it!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    You do not add exercise calories to your TDEE. The numbers from your HRM are rubbish. Way too high. I got a Body Media FIT and I love it. It will give you your TDEE. You figure out what that number is and then subtract 15-20%. That is the amount you eat. No adding in exercise calories. No worrying about net. Just eat that amount and you should lose. fitnessfrog.com and fat2fitradio.com have super tools for this!
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to around 1600. I calculated my BMR on sites other than MFP. I gained 8 lbs. I eat back part of my exercise calories. About once a week I go over on my calories by around 100. It's also the quality of the food. Avoid all that processed fast food crap you were eating.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

The stickies on this page are great. If you post questions there you can get help with your exact numbers. I'd recommend joining that group :)

If you are confused, Join this group and Read all the Tacked topics on the board..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Okay so I dont know what an HRM is... But I do know starving yourself isnt good. Everyone says that, But the first time i tryed starving myself I dropped 3 pounds in one day went on for a week, then I found potato chips and gained 15 pounds the next week.

You should expect to gain 15-30 lbs. depending on how much you lost and how much you take in.

It always takes more effort to loose it then to gain it... You can always eat whatever you want.. As long as you double your workout... Workouts too most people think they can jump right in... Build up to it. It took me a week before I could do 5 pushups...

Just a little advice and support from another person expierencing the almost same problem :(
    15-30 pounds!!! That is what I have lost 30 lbs! Nooooooo!!!! I will never let that weight come back. I have been eating 1,200-1,600 calories for years because that was just how I ate not because I was on a diet. I became over weight because I did not eat enough and on the days I did go over board, pizza, burgers ect...my body held on to it. This is so confusing and aggravating.

Nooooo you will not gain 15-30 lbs!!!! I have read tons of stories on here about eating more, and I have NEVER heard of a number that high. Depending on how long you've been eating low calorie, you can expect a gain but not that high. Something is wrong with the process if you gain that much weight.

Read the sticky post about having patience when starting to eat more, and you just have to trust that the couple pounds are temporary and after that first fluctuation, your metabolism will allow you to eat more for the long haul, it's worth it.

Im not saying it happens to everybody but when you eat nothing and drink only water and coffee to get through your day. Not to mention an 8 mile run a day. When you crash, you binge. Thats what gains the wieght back. Your talking about a low calorie diet but when you only DRINK 20-35 calories a day and burn up that x2. You loose a significant weight. Thats why I said Depending On How Much You Take In And How Much You Lost Is What You Should Expect To Gain... Not everyone has the same gain or loss as everyone else.

What you have described is an eating disorder and your results are not applicable to the general population. Telling people to expect to gain 15-30 lbs by upping their calories from 1200 calories to netting their BMR is just inflammatory nonsense.
  • stashmaster
    Options
    I am a 180 lbs female. I work out for approx. 50-60 mins, 5 or 6 days per week with a combination of aerobics, strength training and walking. I eat on average 2200-2300 calories per day and continue to lose weight. Sometimes more if my activity level dictates that. I have lost 70 lbs by EATING and exercising. I will never starve myself again. I feel strong and energetic and my body composition is rapidly changing from fat to muscle. Having said that, I don't aim to ever lose more than 1 pound a week as trying to lose weight too quickly has backfired on me in the past. I think initially your body may react to the extra calories by storing them, however, it will soon adjust and your metabolism will rev up and you will start burning more calories and be able to eat more food and still lose weight. Good luck!