Who Out There Loses Weight Without the Exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I used to do that before because I was too lazy to workout & always made work schedule as an excuse not to workout. Yes I do lost weight with only dieting BUT (as in a big BUT) I didn't like the way how I look. While I lost the weight but I was still flabby overall & my body didn't shaped up the way I want. So in other words I became a skinny-fat. Aside from that I became weak. The worse of all, I regained everything once I reverted back to eating at maintenance.

You see everyone needs to exercise & your walking/running for 30 mins is a great way to start. Exercise is not just for losing weight, its for overall health. Think of it the same way as to why do we need to sleep, take a bath or brush our teeth. Losing weight is just an icing on the cake. I'm sure you can squeeze in some workout while at work. I'm also a busy person but I try exercise either at morning before work or evening when I get home but even at work, I try to squeeze in some push-ups, chair dips & walk more as much as possible. You can always find a way to exercise if you truly want to.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No offense, but saying you don't have time to work out is just a cop out. A 15-20 min workout is sufficient. If the first lady can find the time, none of the rest of us have an excuse.

You will look better if you retain your lean mass with resistance training and you will be an overall healthier person aside from the aesthetics! Give it a try! Doesn't need to be heavy weights, can just be bodyweight exercises or the like.

Saying no offense, usually doesn't work. Just an FYI. ;)

As for it being a cop out, I guess that could only be determined once you know me and my schedule. I work shift work, sometimes working 13 hrs a day with 2.5 hrs of travel. Once home, I'm not sure working out is the best for me, rather than getting rest due to 11 more days to go. Then I get my 2 days off.

Anyways, as for resistance training, I have given it a try, I used to hit the gym every 2nd day when I was on a normal 40 hr week a year back.

I was just curious to know, for a start anyways, if just the calorie counting would work just as well. Then once the pounds start to drop then start doing some resistance training.

I appreciate all the input from all of you, it's inspiring, thank-you!

Yeah, it never works but I try!

As I said, if the first lady can fit it in, I think there are very few people who cannot fit it in. If you wake up 30 min early you can fit it in twice a week before your shower. Twice a week! Just try it, I found that I ended up getting more energy from working out!

Well, for the record - I don't care if this causes offense (I'm not PC)...FactCheck.org reports that in 2009, our first lady's spokesperson reported that she had 24 people on HER staff. If I had that many people that I could delegate to, I promise you I would fit in time for exercise each day, as well.

However, as a school teacher - I have no assistants, aides, or anything other than the occasional high school student to run copies or file for me. *sigh* Please quit already with all that the first lady can miraculously do...I could accomplish oodles with just another one of me! :laugh:

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thank you! You get a standing ovation from me :drinker:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You keep adding weight until it's challenging to complete 5-8 reps for 3-5 sets (with 1-5 minutes of rest in between sets).

Hmm. Have to look around and see what I've got at different weights then.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No offense, but saying you don't have time to work out is just a cop out. A 15-20 min workout is sufficient. If the first lady can find the time, none of the rest of us have an excuse.

And no offense intended in this response too but yes I could too if I had the resources available to me that Ms. Obama has to her, but of course I don't. Maybe I need my personal assistant to schedule gym time for me.

Sorry but this comment isn't relevant to the masses. I can't relate to what the First Lady does and while she has, I'm sure, a busy life all she has to do is say "I want to exercise regularly" and it will be taken care of for her (schedule it, get equipment, personal trainer if necessary, nutritionist).

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean but I know there's lots of things available to the First Lady that aren't available to me so I can't relate to a comment that says if she can do it, "none of the rest of us have an excuse".
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    definitely not me
  • thecaptain72
    thecaptain72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine that I goto church with has hardly done any exercise and has lost 86 pounds. It can be done, but the more you can exercise is a plus. I started yesterday and I have to adjust. I have time to exercise but am to lazy. So I need to try and force myself. Good luck in all you do.

JOSE R.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    While time management has not been an issue, when I started my knees were. Here is how I did it I lost my first 80lbs or so pretty much on diet alone.

http://hmrjmr1.hubpages.com/hub/How-I-lost-65lbs-in-eight-months-and-you-can-too-The-Hammer-Jammer-Lifestyle-Program-Pt-1

It can be done but you will lose faster and more efficiently by maintaining your 30 X 3 per week. I won't wish you good luck cause there is no luck to it just your own hard work on either or both your diet and exercise. Roll with it...

HMRJMR1
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Me!
    I've cut down my portions to small sizes now, and I've lost weight without any hardcore exercise. I mean, I walk at least 15 minutes every day (from bus stop to work and home), but aside from walking/standing, I haven't been doing anything else. Maybe 10 pushups every few days.
    When I exercise, I get REALLY hungry and I sometimes can't control myself so I end up bingeing. Right now I plan on losing the weight I want to lose, and then I plan on doing a running program (maybe like couch to 5K but less intense) so I can eat more calories because I will only be maintaining and not losing.

I know a lot of people will probably encourage you to exercise, but honestly you don't NEED to exercise as long as you eat under your calorie goals and aren't in bed 100% of the time. Exercising is great, but not necessary for weight/fat loss. But my friend (who is a nurse) told me that even walking for 11 minutes a day is better than nothing. Good luck on your journey!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 20 pounds 1 1/2 years ago, counting calories using a different website. Then, I lost interest, and the weight started to creep back on (about 5 pounds or so). Last fall, I started with MFP, and really got into working out, starting with 30 day shred, then ripped in 30, then getting into running and kettlebell workouts. It has made all the difference. My body looks so different - I am in smaller sizes than I would have been in in the past at this weight (5'6", 136 lb, size 4 and 6, and smalls and some extra smalls). At first I exercised just so I could eat more, but it really has become a habit.

Exercise is the only way this has become a true life change for me!
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 lbs while not exercising and have kept if off for nearly 4 years. I didn't use MFP. I simply started following my body's God given signals of waiting until I was hungry and stopping when I was full.

I started exercising just last November because I wanted to see what sort of difference it would make for me. I've dropped 5 more lbs since then. I love what the exercising is accomplishing for me in addition to the weight loss. I can run 2.5 miles. I have increased muscle tone and my clothes fit great.

Anyway, to the OP, only you know what your schedule can handle and what you're ready for. Small changes are worth celebrating. One change at a time is definitely valid and worth the effort. Good for you!
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I am registered disabled and also have heart arrhythmia, my heart speeds up to the highest was 197 beats per minute, had to have my heart stopped several times, I am now on meds, so both my problems restrict me, but I try to do some exercise each day. Its not as others would see 'exercise' but for me, its an effort, I have a special cross trainer too, I can sit and not stand, so I do this twice per week, sometimes more, depends on my agility that day, but I can only allow my heart rate to go up to a certain level then have to stop, yes, you can loose weight without exercise, I've lost almost 10 stone so far. I still have a long way to go, exercise for me is doing something that makes me sweat! LOL and doesn't include running, jumping or work outs like I would LOOOOOVVVEEEE TO BE ABLE TO DO, but cannot because of my mobility problems. There are always exercises you can do though even if its sitting in a chair, just to keep those bones and muscles working xx
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm lazy. I know that hitting the gym6-7 days a week and switching things up won't last for me. I know, because I've tried it before. I work 7 days a week, almost 80 hours. I weigh in tomorrow morning offically for MFP, but at the Dr's office Friday was 23 down since Jan. without exercise.

That being said, I park as far away as I can, take the stairs - always - step back from my computer and do stretches for 5 mins every hour or so and sometimes thow in squats and lunges. I don't track these and I'm not adding to my calories I eat. but sitting at a desk for hours on end is not healthy and you have to take the time to shake it out or you'll get a stiff neck, so I take advatage of that time.

These are little things I know i can do the rest of my life and will. hitting the gym or working out at home never last for me. With the portion control and little breaks I do, I've gone down 2 sizes already. You just need to see what you can do in the time and space you have and take advatage of it. Good luck!
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Anyways my question overall is who out there just does the calorie intake?.. if so, how has your experience gone so far?

Me. I do walk sometimes half an hour or an hour at 3 miles per hour, but you're more likely to find me flying than in a gym.

I was losing weight long before using the MFP tools, I had to customise the goals to suit what I was doing. Me and published science don't believe you have to exercise to lose fat mass and with enough protein in your diet you retain plenty of muscle.
    Just make certain you drink enough fluid. A high protein diet does conserve muscle, but it can be a bit rough on kidneys, so drink plenty of water (or whatever--they are now saying caffeine, no caffeine, just drink!).

As for losing weight without exercising, I have a chronic injury and chronic pain, so I know (after 26 years!) just how much I can do. I am not a "no pain, no gain" person, I believe pain is unacceptable and ways can be found to do what is needed comfortably.

I have lost 2-3 sizes in pants/shorts since starting. My issue has always been portion size. I eat healthy, it's just that I eat for two (or three or four if it's really good) unless I am paying attention. This site lets me do just that.

Also, sitting at a computer can be very sedentary, but it doesn't have to be inactive. There are some things you can do at your desk, flexing muscles, consciously sitting up straight and pulling in belly and letting it out, Kegels (let's not forget the benefit of Kegels!). When you get up to hit the restroom or coffee pot, stretch and bend and touch your toes, flex from side to side, hold onto something and do some deep knee bends. It all adds up. Most of this is to keep your circulation going. Jobs like yours (and most of us) set us up for bad stuff like DVT's (deep vein thromboses) and just these little things, once in a while through the day, can make for better odds.

And who knows--maybe a little more weight loss....

Welcome to MFP, and thanks for your post! You can friend me if you like...

Christine (also at a computer most of the day, nearly every day)
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    A couple of years ago I lost around 40 lbs without exercise. Gained it all back very easily though. This time around I have very little time to exercise or cook between work and school, but I am still determined to do it right this time. So far I feel so much better even with only 9 lbs down! Seems losing 40 lbs without exercise didn't make me feel nearly as healthy and energetic as 9 lbs with exercise. Finding the time is worth it!
    When you gained it all back, were you still limiting calories?