• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    aww
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Aaawww :) Those vicious creatures!
    My boyfriend has a pit bull and he's the sweetest dog ever!!
  • mrmarkfr
    mrmarkfr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who is a police officer, and he had to be trained how to identify Pitties when Ontario implemented the stupid BSL, and he had to sit though a large photo set, with the question asked everytime, is this a pitbull? The majority of dogs that they thought were, were actually mixes. Personally, I think that ANY dog that looks remotely like a pittie ends up being called one. It's no wonder the dog bite reports always mention them. If you see a Sheppard, you know it's a Sheppard, but if it's a mix, and looks anything like a pittie, it's called a pitbull.
    That being said, I have a model dog who happens to be a pitbull mix, and she is the neighbourhood sweatheart. On the other hand, there was a women up here(Ontario) last fall who took her ****zu into a Home Depot, the greeter bent down to pet the dog, the dog literally bit off the end of her nose. The dog was not put down, does not have to wear a muzzle, and the only concession the owner made was to not bring it into stores.
    Where is the justice in that.
    I don't agree with breed specific legislation, but I do 100% agree with aggressive dog laws. There was a BSL in Holland(I think it was there), that was recently rescinded, and replaced with an aggressive dog law. If a dog shows aggressive tendencies, it gets tested, and then it has limitations(leash, muzzle, etc). That's what should be implemented, and I guarantee you that the large majority of Pittie owners would back it, we know what are dogs are really like.
    Not to stir the pot. But in 18 yrs as a Fireman Paramedic Ive been on numerous dog attacks and bites. Almost Everyone involved a pit. One was as young as 6 months old that attacked a 12 yr old girl on a bike. She had multiple surgeries. They are beautiful dogs, but to me its just not worth the risk. Sorry. Just my opinion.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not to stir the pot. But in 18 yrs as a Fireman Paramedic Ive been on numerous dog attacks and bites. Almost Everyone involved a pit. One was as young as 6 months old that attacked a 12 yr old girl on a bike. She had multiple surgeries. They are beautiful dogs, but to me its just not worth the risk. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Agreed... They may be cute, but not worth the risk. I know someone who was attacked by one. Another pit attacked a neighbor walking his dog. Police came, and the dog jumped them. Dog was shot. I walk in this fenced yard, past a pit bull that just watched me day in and day out. Then one day, I heard a growl behind me. Something set him off that day. The owner drug the dog in the house. And then you hear the stories that make the papers..."he was so sweet...don't know why it attacked the grandkid. Something just snapped." You just don't hear that about labs.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Agreed... They may be cute, but not worth the risk. I know someone who was attacked by one. Another pit attacked a neighbor walking his dog. Police came, and the dog jumped them. Dog was shot. I walk in this fenced yard, past a pit bull that just watched me day in and day out. Then one day, I heard a growl behind me. Something set him off that day. The owner drug the dog in the house. And then you hear the stories that make the papers..."he was so sweet...don't know why it attacked the grandkid. Something just snapped." You just don't hear that about labs.

No, you don't hear it about labs...because then it wouldn't be a worthy news story. IF you do...it's in and out and everyone forgets.

We just recently had a dog 'of undisclosed breeding' kill a child last week here. In the news and out...no fuss. If it had been a pit, they'd STILL be harping about it.
  • mrmarkfr
    mrmarkfr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LIKE ABOVE
  • baycat107
    Options

No, you don't hear it about labs...because then it wouldn't be a worthy news story. IF you do...it's in and out and everyone forgets.

We just recently had a dog 'of undisclosed breeding' kill a child last week here. In the news and out...no fuss. If it had been a pit, they'd STILL be harping about it.

If a lab kills a child it wouldn't be newsworthy????

Any other breed that kills a child, may hit the news for a day or two, and then that's it. But when you start hearing the same breed or mixed breed being aggressive or killing a kid over and over it establishes a pattern. And the owners all say, "He was so sweet. He just snapped. He was never aggressive until he ripped the face off a baby
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Any other breed that kills a child, may hit the news for a day or two, and then that's it. But when you start hearing the same breed or mixed breed being aggressive or killing a kid over and over it establishes a pattern. And the owners all say, "He was so sweet. He just snapped. He was never aggressive until he ripped the face off a baby

I'm not saying I personally think it wouldn't be newsworthy...it's the media that seems to think that. There is a frenzy over pit bulls...and as I've said, and others have said...most of them aren't even really pits. Their appearance is a dominant gene (just like australian cattle dogs). Mix a pit with just about anything else, and you get a dog that appears to be a pit.

I can guarantee you...and this is from someone who has been involved with pit bulls through his brother and his ex wife (she and her current husband are pit bull activists...read: stupidly informed about this situation), for 20 years, that a true, full blood pit bull would be more likely to die by being beat to death, than bite a human being. Unfortunately that exact scenario has been proven true multiple times by people who fight them =l.
  • baycat107
    Options

I'm not saying I personally think it wouldn't be newsworthy...it's the media that seems to think that. There is a frenzy over pit bulls...and as I've said, and others have said...most of them aren't even really pits. Their appearance is a dominant gene (just like australian cattle dogs). Mix a pit with just about anything else, and you get a dog that appears to be a pit.

I can guarantee you...and this is from someone who has been involved with pit bulls through his brother and his ex wife (she and her current husband are pit bull activists...read: stupidly informed about this situation), for 20 years, that a true, full blood pit bull would be more likely to die by being beat to death, than bite a human being. Unfortunately that exact scenario has been proven true multiple times by people who fight them =l.

I am all for more full blooded pit bulls if they are so docile. I still find it odd that if it's the pit bull mixes that are the aggressive ones, "pit bull" is still in the mix. Maybe the ones I come into contact with are the mixes, but the common denominator still is pit bull. The look in their eyes is attack.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I am all for more full blooded pit bulls if they are so docile. I still find it odd that if it's the pit bull mixes that are the aggressive ones, "pit bull" is still in the mix. Maybe the ones I come into contact with are the mixes, but the common denominator still is pit bull. The look in their eyes is attack.

Just...wow.

And this is why...you know what, nevermind. There's no point in trying to explain to someone who's never raised them, what they're really like.

Have a nice evening.
  • baycat107
    Options

Just...wow.

And this is why...you know what, nevermind. There's no point in trying to explain to someone who's never raised them, what they're really like.

Have a nice evening.

You're right I don't raise them or any other breed. But in my profession, like the firefighter, I see what they can do. Wow...denial.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Just...wow.

Have a nice evening.

You're right I don't raise them or any other breed. But in my profession, like the firefighter, I see what they can do. Wow...denial.

Ok, I'll bite.

Wow, denial is right. I don't give a damn about your profession (have you been in it for twenty years? If not, I've got FAR more experience with pit bulls than you do). If in twenty years, I've never seen or HEARD of a papered pit bull biting a human being...odds are, that it doesn't happen very damn often.

Additionally, to correct your ignorance about how breeding traits in animals works. When you breed an animal to behave one way, or not to behave another...you ELIMINATE animals that don't have the tendancy for the desired traits (you can breed for color, appearance, or temperment in as little as seven generations, by the way). Using human aggressiveness as an example. If an animal bit a human, EVEN IN THE HEAT OF BEING BEATEN OR FOUGHT...it was killed. Immediately. No exceptions. At the SAME TIME, they bred these dogs to be very aggressive towards other animals...as well as incredibly strong and durable.

If you don't believe you can train a dog to be aggressive to one thing, and not to another...paint your face black and beat it with a stick for awhile....be kind to it when your face isn't painted. You smell the same, look the same...but after awhile, if you turn your back when your face is painted black...you might end up missing the hand holding that stick.

Back to my point. So we've bred out human aggressiveness. Yet, we have a dog capable of incredible strength, with a latent aggressive hunting instinct BUILT IN (they were hunting dogs originally). Breed that dog with ANY OTHER EFFING ANIMAL...that HASN'T been bred to not be human aggressive, and the offspring are all potential killers. They don't have the ingrained non aggressive instinct towards humans anymore.

It's not the pit bull lady, it's the other breed, the fact that it's part pit bull just means it can do stupid amounts of damage if it DOES bite.

And to say 'The look in their eyes is just attack' is probably the most ignorant thing I've heard anyone say in a long, long time.

So call denial all you like...but before you do, take a look in the mirror.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It also should be noted that small dogs actually have a higher bite tendency then pit bulls or most other large dogs.

In July 2008, the journal of Applied Animal Behaviour Science published a study done by researches at the University of Pennsylvania. They surveyed and discussed with over 6,000 dog owners their experiences with aggression in their dogs. The researchers compiled a report containing 33 dog breeds most likely to bite. Here are the dog breeds with the greatest percentage of bites and bite attempts on humans.

Dachshund. Yes, the sausage dog is most likely to bite strangers and its owners.
    Chihuahua. These are big dogs in a little package, and none are afraid to tell you so. Chihuahuas are very likely to bite strangers and owners.
    Jack Russell Terrier. These feisty little dogs are also quick to nip. They have a tendency to try to nip at strangers and family members.
    Australian Cattle Dog. This breed is great to have around the home, but you must be careful; they are herding dogs, which means they are very likely to nip family and strangers.
    American Cocker Spaniel. A common breed in many homes in the United States, this dog does have tendencies to nip and bite at owners.
    Beagle. Another family favorite, beagles seem to nip and bite at their families.
    There are other breeds, like the Akita and Pit Bull Terrier, which are more prone to trying to nip or bite other dogs or animals.

It must always be kept in mind that small dogs often go un-reprimanded for biting. Many owners find it cute. It is also the only way a small dog has to get people to back up. Remember, you are a giant to him!

There are many breeds of dogs, like Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and Mastiffs, who often get a bad reputation for biting. These dogs have been bred to be protective dogs, plus their size makes them do serious damage when they do bite. Because of this, more stigma is put on the breed.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1407118

As the article points out, when little dogs snap or bite it is often seen as cute, "Aww, you stop that ya cutie!", and they obviously would do less damage as would a larger dog. But that doesn't negate the fact that they are more likely to bite. I personally wouldn't want to get bit in the face by a little dog or a big dog! There would be damage either way, it just so happens that pit bulls can do some major damage due to their strength, so bites from them are reported whereas bites from smaller dogs often go unreported. Hence pit bulls get a bad rap.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OMG I want one!!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Aww :heart:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    More proof that pitbulls are vicious, horrible creatures! :heart:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Boy, this dog sure has 'attack' in his eyes:

http://youtu.be/vf9wHkkNGUU

http://youtu.be/XSlaZRj-7PU

Unaltered male by the way. Check out her channel for some incredibly cute videos.

Another great video:

http://youtu.be/KO-o3X51aIQ

Lucky lady.
  • offdutyguy
    offdutyguy Posts: 19
    Options
    Im sorry, but I dont really have the time or energy to verify what pits are mixed or not. I just know that having 3 small girls Im not comfortable with them being around Pits, Rots, Chows and a few others that have aggresive tendencies ( or reputations) I realize all dogs have the ability to bite, even the little yappers. The difference is the yappers probrably wont kill ya. Im not for excluding any type of breeds. Im for personal responsibility. If your dog attacks someone then its on you. You should be liable for all the medical bills ect... Just like with everything else in this world its a few unresponsible people that screw it up for everyone else.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Im sorry, but I dont really have the time or energy to verify what pits are mixed or not. I just know that having 3 small girls Im not comfortable with them being around Pits, Rots, Chows and a few others that have aggresive tendencies ( or reputations) I realize all dogs have the ability to bite, even the little yappers. The difference is the yappers probrably wont kill ya. Im not for excluding any type of breeds. Im for personal responsibility. If your dog attacks someone then its on you. You should be liable for all the medical bills ect... Just like with everything else in this world its a few unresponsible people that screw it up for everyone else.

I so seriously agree with this post. It's called personal responsibility as you said, but the point I'm making is you're exercising it as well. You're taking that responsibility for your children like a good parent would. I respect that completely. Whether your comfort level includes pit bulls or not, isn't relevant. It's YOUR comfort level, and YOUR kids. Again, I have complete respect for this.

It's the 'The look in their eyes is attack' type commentary and mentality that's infuriating...but even moreso, it's just plain sad.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I want to kiss and cuddle them ALL.