Low calorie snacks

Options
debbieHOC
debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
Sometimes I just feel like I could eat the world .... hoping you guys can give me some of your favorite low calorie snack/meal options.
I do find if I have some protein that it is much more satisfying.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Replies

• iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I like a cheddar stick with chili jam.
    fruit
    120 calorie Sunchip packets

I'm looking for low calorie sweet snacks..esp chocolate. Stuff that lets me eat a largish volume of food rather than one bite of a calorie dense snack
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I knew I was cooking chicken wings for company, a diet nightmare, and hard to eat just two, so all day I snacked on herbal tea. apples, carrots, and one of my most satisfying was cucumber with salt and pepper. You can eat so much of it. I know it's not great to eat all your calories at night but I had enough for ckn wings, dessert and wine. without going over.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese wedges....35 cals....there are several flavors...my favorite is creamy swiss...i eat them with crackers...blue diamond has some nut thin crackers that are not too many calories.
    San :)
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    clementines (35-40 calories)
    laughing cow cheese with anything! (35 calories)
    berries (1/4 cup about 25 calories)
    yasso frozen greek yogurt bars (70 calories)
    apples sliced and sprinkled or microwaved with cinnamon (80-125 calories)
    pb2 on fruit
    salsa
    gum
    fiber one brownies
    flavored seltzer/club soda with fruit
    air or stove-popped popcorn or lightly sweetened kettle corn
    nuts
    unsweetened cocoa power used in place of hot chocolate mix (can lightly sweeten on your own)
    greek yogurt & fruit
    frozen fruit (can blended and put in 50 calorie sugar cones to replace and icecream craving)
  • slimpickings36
    Options
    low low cheese spreed with melba toast (chilli & pepper flavour is so nice if you like spicy) about 120 calories for 1pkt of toast and 1 portion of cheese spreed.
  • angieglyn
    angieglyn Posts: 23
    Options
    I love Snack Wells. They come in little packages and just enough to take the edge off. I also eat Cliff Bars but I split them in half or replace a meal. They are 99 cents at Walmart in the vitamin section
  • angieglyn
    angieglyn Posts: 23
    Options
    Also Kashi has pita chips and have a few of those with salsa/
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am and was a HUGE snacker!!! I used to be a very unhealthy snacker but the following has worked for me so far. GOOD LUCK! :)
    Sargento 2% cheese sticks 50 cals. (hubby and I found these to taste the best)
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese
    blackberries
    mini cucumbers, cherry or grape tomatoes, low fat dressing
    hard boiled egg
    apples, especially Granny Smith
    non-fat Greek yogurt mixed with berries or other fruit

I've found that fruits and veggies high in fiber and other snacks with protein keep me fuller for longer. Also LOTS of water.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    Protein shakes always keep me leveled. Easy to make and drink
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow .. thanks for all the great tips... I am gonna write all this down in my little green notebook I carry.
    sometimes I just feel like I have to chew on something. I know most of it is eating from boredom. Looking forward to days off.. I do better when I am not trapped in a pts home with my food bag. Working out in the yard is something I love and I have to make myself take a break to eat. And at work I have to try to keep my mind off of food.
  • kerbylin
    kerbylin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These ideas were also very helpful to me! Thanks to everyone who posted!!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. A quarter cup of un-popped kernels are about 100cals. You can add salt if you want. Very filling
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you like to chomp on something- baby carrots are a god-send. A handful is 35 calories, and they come in little snack packets, too. They have the lowest glycemic index you can have (1). I find that if I get home and am starving I can have a packet of those and that will last me until I can cook something. Also you get to really munch on them so you feel like you are eating something. I see them a lot at at office parties, sport parties and BBQs as well. If I'm mindlessly reaching for something I can at least aim for the baby carrots! I'm to the point now where I don't leave the house without a packet!

If you want something sugary- sugar-free jello with the low cal whipped cream is good.

I also just discovered hershey's lite chocolate syrup. I put it in my iced coffees and will sometimes make a dessert of cut up strawberries and syrup (~50 cal) or strawberries sliced bananas and syrup (~120 cal). I love that so much that I would actually choose it over ice cream!
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OH I can relate. I love my snacking too. I would say that I am trying to snack more and eat lighter meals. I like having an activia light yogurt (any flavor) and add a few strawberries or blue berries. I also like the adkins snack bars. I am NOT on an adkins diet, but when I get a hankering for chocolate....they are loaded with protein and fiber so I get my fix and feel I got something healthy for the calories (about 170) versus just eating empty calories. I have an air popper for popcorn and then I spray lightly with crisco buttery spray before salting so that the salt will stick to the popcorn. I also eat a LOT of apples, cutie tangerines and celery sticks. I like my celery sticks with marzetti's reduced fat blue cheese dressing....or low fat ranch dressing. I also like laughing cow on wasa light rye crackers. I just recently bought some special k cracker chips. They are o.k....but I LOVE chips. I was a chipaholic before my weight loss. I know they are so bad for you, but I do love the crunchy salty stuff....I have to say I miss them and cookies and my weekend alcoholic beverages the most....but I am determined, so I haven't had them in almost 7 weeks. Someday I'll treat myself with an ounce of chips, an occasional cookie and a beverage or two.... every once in a while, but I want to reach my goals first. One last tip...I eat lots of salads for meals and put in tuna or grilled chicken and a 1/4 cup of fat free feta cheese from Athenos with low fat italian dressing and then whatever other veggies I have--cucumbers, carrots, red peppers, celery and sometimes when I have extra calories I'll put in 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds for some crunch in my salad. I love the fat free feta from Athenos...thank heaven that is a cheese I can keep on my salads without any guilt. Good luck with your journey. It is so very hard... but we CAN DO IT!! Oh...one last thing, I also alternate and drink lots of homebrewed green ice tea and homemade fresh lemonade. I will make a large pitcher of brewed green tea and put it in the fridge and also will squeeze two large lemons in a two qt pitcher and add about 1/2 cup splenda (maybe a touch more) for fresh lemonade. I get tired of water...so these are my saviors for flavor :-). Also...I discovered crystal light mocktails.....so when my hubby has a friday night beer, I'll whip up a pitcher of either margarita, mojito or appletini flavored mock tails. If any one visits, I can spike it and have a calorie free one myself and no one knows the difference. O.k...information overload. Good luck :-)
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese wedges....35 cals....there are several flavors...my favorite is creamy swiss...i eat them with crackers...blue diamond has some nut thin crackers that are not too many calories.
    San :)

<3 laughing cow wedges... with wasa light rye crackers. quite filling.
    my picks:
    - rice cakes (with sugar-free jelly, salsa, truvia/cinnamon, or a fat-free cheese slice on top.. or a 70-100 calorie veggie patty on a 45 cal. white cheddar rice cake)
    - popcorn with fiesta lime mrs. dash or a bit of truvia
    - string cheese/mini babybel
    - sugar-free/unsweetened oatmeal (sometimes with applesauce/protein powder mixed in)
    - grits
    - fat-free cheese slice (25 cals) + lo-carb tortilla (90-110 cals.) - microwaved for about 45 seconds and served with fresh salsa
    - cream of wheat
    - low-sodium tuna (with mrs. dash lemon pepper)
    - pickles/banana peppers (great for when you crave something salty/crunchy)
    - light yogurt (frozen or mixed with a few pieces of fresh fruit)
    - puffed rice cereal (70 cals/ 1 c. serving) with almond milk (35 cals) and a sprinkle of truvia and/or cinnamon
    - eggbeaters (with veggies and/or a pinch of shredded cheese mixed in)
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Great Ideas, I was getting so burnt out on string cheese!! Lol. Anyone got any other ideas to use apples? I want to eat more fruits, but bananas don't like me.. but I love them. They kill my stomach (pain straight from HELL indescribable.. possible allergy to uncooked or something-- been looking into it on google lol, =( not quite sure). So any ideas pertaining to cooked bananas would be awesome too!
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas, I was getting so burnt out on string cheese!! Lol. Anyone got any other ideas to use apples? I want to eat more fruits, but bananas don't like me.. but I love them. They kill my stomach (pain straight from HELL indescribable.. possible allergy to uncooked or something-- been looking into it on google lol, =( not quite sure). So any ideas pertaining to cooked bananas would be awesome too!

I will grate an apple into my oats before cooking and add some cinnamon! Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal...yum! Of course, I like all things sweet, so I will sprinkle a packet of splenda on it before eating :-)