Starving yourself...

Options

Replies

• libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In 2008 I was at the peak of ed. I lost 22 pounds in less then 2 months, I was literally eating like a bite of food a day. My weight went from 124 to 102! I looked horrible! My bones were sticking out and I couldn't walk anywhere without being exhausted! When I finally started to recoup and slowly started putting weight back on I started feeling better, well one day I was laying down and my heart started to skip... I mean skip all the time! I have constant heart like pains and all because of weight loss and starvation ! Olive will live with this forever. Besides the fact the weight creeps quickly back you also risk your health! Trust me not worth it!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Lets start off 1st by saying...ok, I am expecting a lot of ridicule over this one... But there doesn't need to be!

I have to say tho, even tho I am on the healthier path, I eat healthy foods, I eat normal cals, exercise, I try to eat at least some of my exercise cals back... ... I get it. I am doing all of that.

But SOMETIMES, the "starve yourself, get there way faster" thought DOES creep into my head.

I appreciate the science of it all. I logically know that if I eat the right things ..and exercise adequate amounts... I will get where I wanna go. I know people say "eat too little, and your body will go into starvation mode.".... I sord of comprehend that...accept that any anorexic in town will tell you different. lol... if there were such a thing, there would be no anorexics. I once lived on a 400 calorie diet per day... I lost 12 lbs the 1st week. Mostly water I am sure.. BUT... Obviously it didn't work... or I wouldn't be here...

I guess I am looking for a reminder of why starving yourself for instant results .... wont equal what I am looking for long term. There I said it. Go ahead... burn me at the stake.

Do you care more about your appearance and health, or do you care more about the number on the scale?
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in recovery from anorexia and purging and I can honestly now say starving your body is completely not worth it. Yes you can lose weight from eating very little or not at all, but it's not real weight. Starving your body won't help you in the long run because while it may seem like a great idea in the beginning, the effects it has on your body will make you rethink that. My hair was constantly falling out and still is, I always had little to no energy, I couldn't focus in class, I can't have my own children because of the damage I have done to my body. I have body dismorphia and I am never okay with my appearance, I obesess over food and worry about it, I can't handle social situations surrounding food, there are alot of reasons why doing this is a bad idea.
    We can see physical damage like when we fall over and get a graze but we cannot see inside out bodies can we? How do you know you're not causing your body more damage by making this unecessary choice? At the end of the day, this is your choice but if I could go back and never experience what it's like to have anorexia trust me I would. Whatever you do, take care xxx
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Yarwell loves voicing in on these types of threads, but I beg you to read and internalize the stories from women who have suffered from this. None of us are here because we're psyched about our eating disorders. None of us are showing off our history of starvation and our current struggle. I would never wish this upon anyone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can retain most of your muscle mass on a high protein very low calorie diet, usually these are medically prescribed formulations that are nutritionally complete - but I suspect SlimFast comes off the same production line.

So with the right nutritional intake a big deficit is not unworkable.

If your fat stores can provide 30 calories/day per pound and you're running a 1000 calorie deficit then you obviously need at least 33 pounds of fat to go at. The fat reserves are there to keep you going when you have no access to food, so all this melodramatic BS about your body or brain stopping has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

If you're fat enough you can lose fast at a high deficit but for health make sure you eat all the things the body needs. A time limit of 4 to 6 weeks is usually suggested for this approach. It's often used in clinical studies to get fast and statistically significant results, for example http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf

I missed the part where OP said she had diabetes.
    Another thing Yarrow is I dont think telling someone who could have an eating disorder that its okay to eat almost nothing daily because you found some study that says the people involved were okay.
    Storm.jpg

I'm with Sidesteel here...
    Do you care more about your appearance and health, or do you care more about the number on the scale?

OP its about energy balance.
    If you dont eat enough to fuel your day then i predict you wont be much fun to be around.
    Because you have these thoughts to "Starve" yourself you may want to seek professional help.

If you need help determining a better caloric intake, feel free to PM me and I'll help you personally.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You can retain most of your muscle mass on a high protein very low calorie diet, usually these are medically prescribed formulations that are nutritionally complete - but I suspect SlimFast comes off the same production line.

So with the right nutritional intake a big deficit is not unworkable.

If your fat stores can provide 30 calories/day per pound and you're running a 1000 calorie deficit then you obviously need at least 33 pounds of fat to go at. The fat reserves are there to keep you going when you have no access to food, so all this melodramatic BS about your body or brain stopping has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

If you're fat enough you can lose fast at a high deficit but for health make sure you eat all the things the body needs. A time limit of 4 to 6 weeks is usually suggested for this approach. It's often used in clinical studies to get fast and statistically significant results, for example http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf

Supervised or well researched VLCD/PSMF is a lot different than "eating 400 calories" and additionally, I think it's important to consider your audience...
  • angieglyn
    angieglyn Posts: 23
    Options
    My daughter is I feel starving herself. She has lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I feel bad because I haven't done near that, but I am doing it in a very healthy way. I haven't had a regular soda in over a month, maybe a few diet ones, but altogether find myself drinking way more water:o) I also have 1/2 the weight she does to lose, and I am proud of her for any effort she gives whatsoever.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    My daughter is I feel starving herself. She has lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I feel bad because I haven't done near that, but I am doing it in a very healthy way. I haven't had a regular soda in over a month, maybe a few diet ones, but altogether find myself drinking way more water:o) I also have 1/2 the weight she does to lose, and I am proud of her for any effort she gives whatsoever.

Educate her on not just weight loss in general but fat loss and the physiological side of things.
    Understand that fat/weight loss is about Nutrition first and foremost then Rest and recovery then working out.
    So eat well, sleep well and workout to maintain lean mass.
    =D

Read websites like www.bodyrecomposition.com for great info on how weight/fat loss works.
  • JenS_1678
    JenS_1678 Posts: 27
    Options
    I just want to put in my input, because I've been there. I went through about 5 years of eating disorders, and like you here I am trying to lose weight. Yeah, it works initially. But the thing about losing the weight that way is you'll never appreciate it. It may fall right off, but those 10 lbs you lose in a month feel a lot better than loosing in a week or two. Simply because if you're just not eating, your mind convinces you that it's never enough. I went down about 30 lbs in a month and a half. I look back at pictures now and I can't believe that I still felt so badly about myself. But at that time, I still pictured myself 30 pounds heavier.

Also if you get on that track, it's extremely difficult to get back to eating healthy. I'm almost a 2 years in recovery, and I still struggle with portions and calories. Not only that but after starving yourself, you'll just want to eat everything. There is no "oh, I'll just take a bite". Once you realize what you're doing the whole thing will be gone.

So in my opinion, the weight comes off fast, and goes on fast. But if you do it the right way, in the long run it's a lot faster. I've spent 7 years of my life struggling, and these past months have been the best. I'm stronger, happier, and much more confident. It pays to do it right =)
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    I suffered with anorecxia for years. Despite losing 4 stone in a matter of months, it put me in a horrible mind set. I became very suicidal and as a result ended up on a year of medication under watchful eyes. It weakens you beyond belief, your hair begins to fall and dry out, and your skin becomes horribly blotchy.

I'm much happier losing weight the healthy way, and unlike starving yourself, the weight actually stays off. If you're determined, you'll reach your goal. Don't resort to ruining your body and mind just because of some numbers.
    :flowerforyou:
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Plus.....I've never seen an anorexic that looked GOOD. Sure they were skinny, but they didn't look good.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

Awwww I don't think you should feel bad at all for not keeping up with your daughter's "progress". My daughter is on here also and she's the one that introduced me to this app.and i'm the one that was eating VLC for years prior. I think that puts us (being mom's) in a very important position in modelling good weight-loss practices and weight-loss maintenance. I Have been steadily upping my cal intake since being on here and have made numerous other important health changes in my life. I think it's awesome that you are doing it properly for yourself AND for your daughter. Keep up the great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Ummm - if I read your profile correctly; you're 19 and 5'6" and weigh 94 lb - and you're on MFP to lose more??? You say you're getting medical treatment which is a very good idea, and I don't think you should be using this site to support your further weight loss, when your BMI is worryingly low and your periods have stopped. Use it to gain in a healthy way to a reasonable weight that allows your body to function, and we will cheer you every step of the way...

She says in her profile she wants to regain her strength and positivity. I didn't see weight loss but I might have missed it.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Because you'll end up like me...40 overweight and finding it very difficult to lose weight because of years of not eating enough.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    To gain strength and be healthy she needs to eat at or above maintenance.
    At 5'4" at her age and weight that would equate to around 1800-2200 calories daily.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, OP.
    Sometimes that thought creeps into my head too, but I know it's unhealthy, just like you do. I know it takes longer this way, but I want a healthy body that I can kick *ss with, not an ill one.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories than fat does. Therefore, when your body DOES go into a state of starvation, it's going to release what burns the most calories for survival. So it's going to mostly hold onto your fat for fuel and shed your muscle. You don't really want that, now, do you? To be flabby and not have much muscle to look healthy and fit. Also, remember that since muscle burns more calories- when you get to your "goal weight," you won't be able to eat very much at all since all of your muscle has been burned away. The more muscle mass you retain, the more you will be able to eat later at maintenance. What is your rush anyway? Your profile says you are starting a lifestyle. Start eating the way you want to eat for the rest of your life now. Do this for your health first and foremost. Respect your body.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you think that, I thought that too and about ten years ago that's the way I went. At first I lost weight healthily but when I was about 21lbs away I was getting frustrated and wanted quicker results. That's really when it took over my life. I started cutting more and more calories, exercising more. I was angry at everyone, I couldn't go in supermarkets. I would have 570 calories on a good day although some days I would convince myself not to eat, Say if I was preparing something and I spilt a bit I would tell myself it was a sign and that I shouldn't eat and I wouldn't, sometimes if I did I would hit myself. I reached my goal weight and I kept going, eventually my periods were all over the place. All this from what had originally started as a normal healthy diet. Because of the way I had done it I was still saggy even with the exercise I did I still didn't look athletic. I also blacked out quite a lot, including in a bar which was very embarrassing.

Eventually I had no energy to do anything and spent months in bed, around 5. I started eating more food after this, around 1000 calories a day. I still felt shattered and gave up exercise altogether. Even though I was eating little I gained weight, this sent me spiralling out of control, I would live on around 700-1000 calories a day, sometimes I wouldn't eat until tea time. But then at weekends I would eat up to 1500. Nothing I did would help I just kept gaining weight. Eventually I ended up gaining more than I lost. A couple of years back a benign tumour developed in my right kidney, every year I have been tested and last year it had grown to 7cm. I had it embolised and it was while I was off work recovering that I discovered this site - I realised how little I was still eating, I still was in denial and felt the only thing to do to lose weight was to cut more calories and exercise more giving myself a negative net. Since starting this site I've started eating more, I can now do more exercise I eat back my exercise calories, I'm eating more than I have done in years and I am losing weight, it maybe coming off slowly but I'm happy and I just hope when I get close to the end I don't lose control again.

I know you possibly weren't expecting such a waffled in depth response but I think it's important to know how it can take over your life and also that even though seeing skeletal photos is scary most people do tell themselves they won't go that far but also that it messes with your body in other ways and you can just gain it all back. Being healthy, taking it steady means that it's a long term solution.

I still struggle now though but I tell myself if I eat too little my body will burn muscle and not fat. Muscle burns more than fat at rest so if you aren't getting enough calories it will get rid of what is using the most energy.
  • Silverberry1331
    Silverberry1331 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can only talk from my personal experience and impressions. I starved myself for YEARS....I was hospitalized for it. The health issues that were occurring while I was "skinny" (i.e. bones and skin to cover) didn't actually deter me from starving. Let me tell you what might deter you....it is after when you go through all the therapy, the hospitalization, and all that jazz.

I think I "broke" my set point.

What does that mean? My body doesn't seem to know what weight it wants to be. It fluctuates drastically. For example, I went away for three weeks with a friend abroad....we both indulged on local cuisine, and since we ate together almost every meal, I seriously doubt I ate anymore than she did. She never had these issues. She gained five pounds on our return. I GAINED 24 pounds. Yes. 24 pounds. People say "how is that possible?" The answer is: I don't know. I use to be able to lose weight just that fast. No problem in three weeks down 20 pounds or more.

I have gone through periods, especially when I travel when I come home unable to wear the clothes I left in. People (that I am with) comment on the weight gain, which is unusual since you can't notice weight gain when you see the person every day. As I have gotten older, the weight comes off slower and slower. I can no longer tolerate diary, spicy, or heavier foods because my body became accustom to such a small amount of bland cuisine.

Now, some may say that I am unique, and maybe I am---again I can't talk to anyone else's experience but mine, but I am forced to live in a constant state of vigilence-just to maintain. If you feel like possibly living like that, then by all means, starve...however, I wish I could go back and do things differently.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I still have thoughts of reducing cals to dangerously low numbers. This site has helped me immensely with these thoughts. I know that a day of low cals will not hurt me just the same as a day of very high cals but do it for a long time and it will affect your health. Increasing my cals has been difficult and so I will take a day to eat a little less. For some a cheat day is to eat more but for me it's the opposite. It's a control thing. I was diagnosed with anorexia although the only long term negative effect it had on me was mental. I'm one of the lucky ones.