Diet Pills? Please Help!!!!

lad80
lad80 Posts: 12 Member
I was wondering if there are anything out there I can take that could help me lose weight along with eating right since I dont get much exercise due to knee injuries? My problem is I have High Blood Pressure so a lot says I can not take them but maybe someone has suggestions?

Replies

• Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    I would stay clear of any pills they are not good for you. As for knee injury, u can still do many exercises that are no impact on them such as working your biceps, triceps, back, shoulders and abs.

With eating right and trying to get some exercising in will be all you need :) U can do this girl!
  • kmcmenamey
    kmcmenamey Posts: 1 Member
    I would stay away from diet pills. What I found that helped me to jump start my weight loss was to do a 28 detox. I was able to clean out my body while getting rid of all of the cravings that I had previously had. While doing my detox, I was not able to exercise.

Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Just eat. Stick to your calorie goal. It's not complicated.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    If you can walk, you can exercise. There's a lot you can do. Even with problem knees.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Please do not take the diet pills. Just be patient and keep working hard on your goals.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Diet pills are awful. Do not take them if you want to feel like a normal UN psycho person...lol..at least that's my experience with them..I would seriously HAVE to eat to feel somewhat OK..kind of defeated the purpose of the pill IMO!

The only thing (and not proven) that I would recommend is maybe adding CLA to your multi vitamin routine. It is supposed to help with fat burning but has no side affects.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I would stay clear of any pills they are not good for you.

I afraid I disagree with this. Some pills would be good for you indeed. I wouldn't go for ones tha are labelled as diet pills as these are more about selling the word DIET, and they have less of the Key ingredients you would need. Personally I would recommend taking green tea extract, omega 3 oils and sesamin. You should be able to take all 3 with high BP.

Remember nothing is a substitute for good diet and exercise. I have very bad knee trouble and there is plenty of exercise I do. Do not use it as a excuse :).
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    I took Hydroxycut with caffeine a few years ago, ended up losing 40 lbs in 3 months with cardio and a 1200 calorie diet. There are side effects to the pill such as sleeplessness, shakes, and heart racing. The correct dose is 2 pills per meal with tons of water. I only took 1 pill in the morning and 1 at lunch. If I took it after 3pm, I wouldn't sleep well. The thing with pills are you don't know how it will affect your body, and you shouldn't be taking them for long periods of time. I find that the most effective way to lose weight is diet and exercise, even if it's low impact. It'll come off slower, but that's the best way to do it in the end. Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I took Hydroxycut with caffeine a few years ago, ended up losing 40 lbs in 3 months with cardio and a 1200 calorie diet. There are side effects to the pill such as sleeplessness, shakes, and heart racing. The correct dose is 2 pills per meal with tons of water. I only took 1 pill in the morning and 1 at lunch. If I took it after 3pm, I wouldn't sleep well. The thing with pills are you don't know how it will affect your body, and you shouldn't be taking them for long periods of time. I find that the most effective way to lose weight is diet and exercise, even if it's low impact. It'll come off slower, but that's the best way to do it in the end. Good luck!

Pills that make the heart race in a person with high blood pressure may not be the best idea.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member

Pills that make the heart race in a person with high blood pressure may not be the best idea.

Exactly. This is a formula for disaster!

Diet pills are dangerous, especially if you already have health problems. Please be healthy. No number on a scale is worth your life.

May I suggest you check out the Unofficial MFP FAQ that was built by seasoned members for common questions and knowledge about MFP and healthy weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    I took diet pills quite a few years ago. Never again. When I was done my body literally went through a withdrawal. I ditched the pills, exercised and watched my calories and the weight came off.

As for the exercise, there are a boat load of exercises out there. A coworker of mine is flat-footed, has busted his knee, has had multiple surgeries on both knee's and also has pins in them and he finds way to workout. Walking and he does the elliptical and bike machines at the gym along with weight training.

Where there is a will there is a way. Good luck!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Stay well away from diet pill.....If you have high blood pressure, they are the worst things to take....If you have to take anything, take it under the care of a Dr...
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Actually plain reason why people drink green tea as a dietar supplement is that the caffeine does increase heart rate. Which is a good thing, even for people with high blood pressure as it wouldn't go anywhere near 'high levels'. The problem s when people take dietary supplements that hae active ingredients like Thermobol in them, that is heart overdrive....and then go exercising.....nuts, and it'll give you a heart attack, seriously try at least green tea extract 3 times a day I think. As the above poster said somewhere I hear CLA is supposed to be good.

'diet pills' have a bad rep as people seem to take them thinking it's a wonderfix when they do no such thing. Vitamin and SUPPLEMENTS are not the devils work and will aid your weight loss. Good luck.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member

Probably could get the same results WITHOUT pills! Only WITHOUT the adverse side affects!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

I afraid I disagree with this. Some pills would be good for you indeed. I wouldn't go for ones tha are labelled as diet pills as these are more about selling the word DIET, and they have less of the Key ingredients you would need. Personally I would recommend taking green tea extract, omega 3 oils and sesamin. You should be able to take all 3 with high BP.

Remember nothing is a substitute for good diet and exercise. I have very bad knee trouble and there is plenty of exercise I do. Do not use it as a excuse :).
    None of your recommendations have anything at all to do with weight loss.

Green tea extract is an antioxidant supplement, does nothing for weight loss.

Omega 3 oils are only to boost Omega 3 fatty acids in the diet, also have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

Sesamin has absolutely no scientific study behind it at all, and hasn't been shown to actually do anything. Besides, sesame seeds are pretty common in the human diet, I fail to see what taking an extract made from them will accomplish.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Hydroxycut
    A few years ago

Enjoy your damaged liver.

As for OP,. drink black coffee, eat half or a whole grapefruit, then go for a walk. You will have energy.

General rule of thumb for any supplement. If it is legally sold as a weight loss supplement, it's crap.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I think most diet pills are scams. Alli is one of the only ones that seems at all safe and effective, but you have to eat a very low fat diet, or else suffer the consequences. Any other pills are just snake oil maybe laced with a little caffeine and maybe some vitamins.
  • lad80
    lad80 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you guys all very all ur comments and suggestions have helped me... I know I can walk to help me lose it thats a + but my dr told me to stay away from treadmills, stairs, aerobics I have had 2 surgeries and need them on both of my knees again so my knees are pretty bad off right now. I can swim walk and do stationed bike but dont have access to a stationed bike or swimming. I have been sticking to my calorie thing everyday and have lost a few pounds already. If there is any suggestions on any types of cardio exercise I can do other then walking please let me know and again thank you everyone for ur input.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Go to Ebay and look for a Pedal Exerciser. Go to YouTube and look up chair aerobics. Leslie Sanson has great in home walking videos that you can usually find at your local library.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176

I have been taking green tea extract and omega 3 select for the last 6 months and have no ill effects.