PCOS

Options
Anyone out there trying to lose weight with POCS? I am 32 and I been trying to lose weight. I am vegetarian trying to lose weight what really helps?

Replies

• blondebella79
    Options
    I have PCOS also. I have found that taking metformin with eating less than 30 carbs at a meal and exercise is giving the best results. Stress can flair up the PCOS, so its important to try to decrease the stress in your life.
  • jessigeorge
    jessigeorge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, diagnosed in 2005. I am 29 years old, and I also take Metformin for the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. I have always struggled with my weight, but have lost almost 100 pounds in the last 18 months, although most of it has been over the last 6 months.

What did it for me was realizing that I actually could do something about my weight. I had been told by my doctor not to get my hopes up (years ago) and I think that I never really believed I could succeed. About 6 months ago, I became very ill due to an intestinal infection, and I could barely eat for about a month. Needless to say, I lost a lot of weight in that month. But more importantly, I realized that I actually could change my weight by controlling my diet. It sounds silly, but that's what it took for me to realize that I could do it and change my attitude. Since then I have been newly motivated, and I continue to remind myself that this is on me and that I can handle it. (By the way, prior to this, I have tried weight watchers, diet pills, fad diets, and other things, including exercise. But I always got frustrated and gave up when I plateaued, because on some level I was convinced that I wasn't really in control).

On another note, I recently read that research shows that weight loss reduces almost all symptoms of PCOS, and that weight loss improved fertility in 100% of PCOS patients. The infertility factor was also something that my doctor had told me not to get my hopes up on. But the weight loss I've had recently has improved many of my symptoms, including the painful periods. Something to think about.:smile:
  • Jennaannwatts
    Options
    i am going through this will my docs at the moment. Yet to be diagnosed!! :( hopefully if i loose all my weight i really want kids in the future x
  • baljitvkaur
    baljitvkaur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I do have lot of stress in my life. This is good to know
  • baljitvkaur
    baljitvkaur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thats real good to hear. I did drop about 30 pounds with Metformin but now its stuck. I Just had baby so hopefully I can lose another 20 then I am set
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and have been dealing with PCOS for over 12 years. I even had 2 kids with it! Now, the struggle is to get the weight off. My doctor tells me I can either be on metformin or loose about 10% of my body weight. The weight loss will help to "cure" the PCOS, so I'm told. I'm working on the weight loss with calorie counting and eating healthy with a few "splurges". I think it can be done, so don't give up hope!
  • pycook69
    pycook69 Posts: 2
    Options
    I also have PCOS and ive been watching what i eat and exercising since Feb 2011 and ive lost 30 lbs so it can be done, it just takes dedication. i am currently at a plateau stage but i havent given up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lot's of folks have said they found success by following a healthy, low glycemic type diet like south beach. My sister's doc recommended that to her.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I also posted a topic a few days ago about my issues with diet, exercise and acne and a lot of women with PCOS gave some good insight:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586170-diet-exercise-and-acne

Where to begin...

My two biggest pieces of advice are:
    (1) Stay away from refined sugars and carbohydrates. PCOS is closely linked to insulin resistance, therefore getting blood sugar spikes under control is very important. Increasing your intake of whole food with lots of fiber and protein is best. (This is a good tip for anyone trying to lose weight).

(2) Exercise. Even in small amounts, it is very good for PCOS sufferers since it normalizes blood sugar spikes.

I've searched around the forums and it seems like many women have been able to get their PCOS under control with MFP. Best of luck and health to you!
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    On another note, I recently read that research shows that weight loss reduces almost all symptoms of PCOS, and that weight loss improved fertility in 100% of PCOS patients. The infertility factor was also something that my doctor had told me not to get my hopes up on. But the weight loss I've had recently has improved many of my symptoms, including the painful periods. Something to think about.:smile:

Not to be a Debby Downer, but I don't believe that PCOS is 100% curable with weight loss alone. For instance, if a PCOS sufferer lost all of their weight by eating a highly processed diet with lots of refined sugars and carbohydrates and no exercise, I doubt they would be much better off. I do agree that getting out of the obese category is important but PCOS is A LOT like diabetes. Weight loss is a fantastic tool and for some it may resolve many symptoms, but it is not the cure.

In fact, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was right dab in the middle of the BMI chart as "normal". At that time I was getting about 2 or 3 periods a year. Since then I have lost 30 pounds and my PCOS symptoms are no where near resolved. I have been working on improving my diet in hopes that one day I will find my own "cure".

[Full disclosure: PCOS is a syndrome. Inherently, there is no cure and what works for one many not work for all].

:(