Ugh...cellulite.

Options
Is it forever?!

Over the past 2 years I have dropped about 20lbs/6 dress sizes. And still am plauged with a lower body covered in cellulite. I work out almost daily, take steps over elevators, eat mainly fresh produce, and the cellulite remains.

The only non-expensive non-invasive solution I have heard is: more cardio. I see very thin women at the gym who also have celly legs, so I am afraid it's here for good, regardless of my weight loss.

Any real solutions? Foods that cod help?

Replies

• leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Body brushing, moisturising, drinking more water & cutting down on caffiene help :)
  • leopard_barbie
    Options
    Double post, sorry!
  • ItsDiana
    ItsDiana Posts: 60
    Options
    As far as I know ... green tea and bananas help :)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've noticed an improvement in mine doing the 30DS. It's still there, but MUCH less noticeable. Mine is on my upper thigh/saddle bag area, and the 30 DS REALLY targets that area. However, my legs have a tendency to muscle quickly, and I have traded much of that cellulite for very muscular thighs, but, I'll take it. I think at the age of 30 I have accepted my thighs will be big one way or another -- cellulite and flab, or muscle.
  • lalalandFit
    Options
    What is body brushing?

And 30DS?
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Body brushing, moisturising, drinking more water & cutting down on caffiene help :)

I do all these things, cellulite is evil shows up really bad on my thighs
  • leopard_barbie
    Options
    What is body brushing?

And 30DS?

30DS is jillian michaels 30 day shred, amazing 20min workout :)

Body brushing involves getting a stiff bristled brush and brushing your skin in circular motions from your feet up towards your heart to improve circulation.

http://spas.about.com/od/skincare/a/skinbrushing.htm
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    Cellulite is down to diet. That is why skinny people also have it. (genetics obviously play a role too) but I believe you can make it less visable. Eliminating processed foods and sugar, caffiene will reduce the appearance of it over time. and PLENTY of water.

I'm lucky and never had a problem with it, however there was a time when my diet wern't so good (sugary foods) and I started to see some.
    I found hot yoga improved it massively (I'm not 100% if this is why but after going for 8 days straight it was barely visable)
    Rubbing oils into your skin helps to, everynight I massage oil (almond oil is really cheap) into my skin (mainly top of legs)
    Plently of water too.

I'm no expert but i'm going by what works for me but again I have never had a major problem with getting cellulite.
  • BrendaKayla
    Options
    I do know if you eat banana's, drink more water, and even green tea will help. What I have also learned is that if you tan it is much less noticeable. I am from Texas, so being out on the lake or just outside is a big part of my life, so when I finally became brave enough to wear shorts and gained a tan on my legs, the cellulite was almost invisible. I don't know how you feel about tanning, but it seems to have helped cover the cellulite as I try to get rid of it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Interesting article here. Pretty much says nothing has been proven to reduce cellulite. Even liposuction. :sad:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149465.php
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    There is a product that is pretty cheep physical therapists use it on sports fanatics....It's called a sprinter stick...I think they cost like 30 or 40 bucks They help to detach those fat particles from the muscles so youll loose the lumpiness in your legs... its totally safe and It works really well I use it a lot and it's made a huge difference... They are kinda annoying though because you have to roll one area of your leg for 10 minutes and its difficult. You leg also will start to hurt a little and then itch like crazy because you are moving the fat tissue, and your arms get tired after a few minutes but it's totally worth it if you want to get rid of the cellulite. I would rub your legs or w/e w/ it every day for a week or 2 before you notice the changes!
  • aniwani
    Options
    massage can also help...
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would say lifting weights...You gain muscle & it makes your skin look tighter...There is a group on here for firming up & strength training that you might want to check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/143-firming-it-up

I typed in cellulite in the groups section & this group came up...HTH

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/721-eat-clean
  • aniwani
    Options
    No False it's genetics...

Diet has nothing to do with this... Women have a thinner outer layer of skin and we carry a layer of fat on top of the muscle so it shows through our skin when we carry fat deposits un evenly Men don't have this genetic trait hence their annoying absence of cellulite... The appearance of cellulite can be reduced if you loose weight, or move the fat deposits ...But unfortunately where your body stores fat is based on you genetics and you cannot control that... Eating healthy may however make your skin look better but it's not going to change your cellulite...

Cellulite is down to diet. That is why skinny people also have it. (genetics obviously play a role too) but I believe you can make it less visable. Eliminating processed foods and sugar, caffiene will reduce the appearance of it over time. and PLENTY of water.

I'm lucky and never had a problem with it, however there was a time when my diet wern't so good (sugary foods) and I started to see some.
    I found hot yoga improved it massively (I'm not 100% if this is why but after going for 8 days straight it was barely visable)
    Rubbing oils into your skin helps to, everynight I massage oil (almond oil is really cheap) into my skin (mainly top of legs)
    Plently of water too.

I'm no expert but i'm going by what works for me but again I have never had a major problem with getting cellulite.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can get rid of it, I should know, I have done it! I used to have it. Then I trained hard in college (crew--rowing team) and it was GONE. Couldn't believe it, cause I thought it was forever.
    Then after children it was back. I fasted (water only) for 9 days, it was GONE. I noticed during the fast, after about a week, all the areas of fat got kinda tender and warm...my body was going after it to metabolize it, I guess.

Now after 2 more children ( I have 5). It is back, but I am not worried.

Currently, I am going for massage to circulate that hardened, dry fat that gets stuck in there. My massage therapist knows what she is doing. For my case, my lymph system had gotten clogged, also my digestive track had tended toward constipation...Also I would tend to be constantly dehydrated....naughty eating habits...not exercising and wah lah...cellulite.
    Also, of course, I am currently diet/exercise intensive. But that cellulite gets sort of encapsulated in there, and it takes your body metabolizing it to get it off...It does come off!!! I don't really care what anyone else says...It will go! So right now, I am building up to being able to get a good hard workout (just cause I love fitness and the burn of a good exercise session and being able to play hard!), plus changing to awesome diet habits, plus drinking adequate water, plus massage (ahhhh!). Later I may choose to do a water fast.
    I hope this gives you some encouragement and some useful information!
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Maybe but through my own expeirence diet plays a part.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Maybe but through my own expeirence diet plays a part.
    Yes, diet plays a part.
  • lalalandFit
    Options
    So-the massage therapist-are there ones who specialize in this area, or most of them would know how to work it away, so to speak? Also, the 9 day fast doesnt seem very healthy? Seems like any lost weight would come immediately back after you started eating again...?
    Thank you though, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    I have always had a skincare routine where I massage cream/oil on my legs and I really do think it makes a difference. The main tips are water, massage and watching sugar/salt intake.
    But it is definatley possible for it to become less visable :)
  • MinMin97
    Options
    So-the massage therapist-are there ones who specialize in this area, or most of them would know how to work it away, so to speak? Also, the 9 day fast doesnt seem very healthy? Seems like any lost weight would come immediately back after you started eating again...?
    Thank you though, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.
    In working with my massage therapist, what we have been doing, on me, is to open my lymph drainage areas (for example,at the knees, groin, under the breasts, at the armpits---basically where you sweat) and then to massage the clogged cellulite areas to bring circulation, to help break up those deposits, and to encourage it to move on out. I love how it feels for days afterwards--I feel the circulation to those cellulite areas. We have done it using two methods. We pick one or the other per session...one is "gentle" in that it encorporates light rapid stroking in the direction of the circulation, light pressing on the lymph drain points to begin to open them. The other method she and I "affectionately" call "Tough Love" and that one also involves pressing gently on the sweat areas (lymph drain points) to encourage those points to begin to open up, but also when she massages the congested cellulite areas she is more aggressive and it...well...hurts. It hurts for a minute or two while initially it begins to break up. Subsequent massages there is often a more "itchy" feeling in areas where the clogging is being cleared up. Now those clogged areas are circulated better and can be metabolized out by the body. Currently my cellulite areas feel much more soft instead of bumpy. I know from experience that the next step is that the weight loss thru proper nutritioni/fitness will trim my body very nicely. And I will be happy with what I see! My massage therapist says lymph massage therapists are maybe not as common?

As far as fasting goes, I know that this brings many pictures to peoples minds, and much mis-information as well. One way to begin to understand the concept is to read the research and practical application of fasting by someone who applies scientific technique to see if /how something works. May I suggest the writings of Herbert Shelton. You can google him. A personal note on fasting from me is that I have done it many times, and love using fasting periodically for its many, many benefits. As far as gaining back the weight, you definitely would, if you failed to use self-control for the first week-2weeks after coming off an extended fast (longer than 3 days).