HIIT for overall fat loss.. it WORKS!

Options
I've been doing HIIT on the treadmill for about 2 weeks and have lost 5 lbs!! I can't run for long so I do a 4.0 two minute walk then 6.0 run for 2 min and alternate for about 45 mins.. it has worked for me and I can't wait for more progress..

has anyone had success with HIIT??

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that yet. I will try it. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Libby0891
    Libby0891 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the success! I'm going to work in more HIIT workouts for the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know how hard you have to run/bike/swim/whatever to accomplish a HIIT workout? For example, if I normally run 5.7 mph on the treadmill, how fast should my "fast" intervals be?
  • gigishiree
    gigishiree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i also do hit on the treadmill or elliptical. i dont worry much about specific speeds i just vary the tempo. ill go all out for 5 min, then jog for 5, then walk, then run, then sprint. just keep changing it up. u should be drenched in sweat when all is said and done.
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes I do that too and its a great workout!!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Is this a feature on most treadmills? I'm unfamiliar :p
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    HIIT is good and I have had success, however lately I have done Tabata intervals and man do they kick my butt.
  • Pretty_Mrs
    Pretty_Mrs Posts: 20
    Options
    I just started the c25k program. For the 1st week, its basically a combination of run/jog and walk and then it ramps up the time and duration of the intervals. Does this count as HIIT?
  • happyharpreet
    happyharpreet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love treadmills a few year back I lost 30 lbs through treadmill only! Though I have a bad knee now still it is my fav.exercise now I walk for 45 minutes at speed 4.0!
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    hiit is amazing... i have had great results with it... i do it both on the treadmill and elliptical... the best way to start off is on the elliptical and do one minute all out and one minute relaxed jog... i do it for 45 minutes... every week im going to up the times...
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No burn like HIIT!
    HIIT workouts helped me get over a 1 month plateau.

Running is my main form of cardio but I had pretty much peaked running-wise. Wasn't seeing an improvement on the scale, my body OR times. Decided to do 3:1 work, rest (3 minute running, 1 minute walk) HIITs on a hill. It's worked wonders. Dropped around 4 lbs in two weeks and improved my pace in the process.

I also incorporate a bodyweight HIIT routine into my workout if I am short on time to hit the gym: Pushups, Squat Jumps, Mountain Climbers. 30 seconds each followed by 30 seconds rest. Warning! You will be sore the next day.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Love HIITS. Not just the treadmill, on the stair machine, elliptical, and weights. It works for all of those.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do HIT on the treadmill and bike. To the poster who asked, to do it on treadmill you vary speed and incline every 2 minutes or so. At least that's how I do it.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    there are many ways to do HIIT,
    but long story short, it is the best way to do your cardio. Some ways are better than others of course, but the HIIT in general is awesome.

It is the best way to train your body and push further, harder and faster.

If you're just starting exercise, great way to begin, if your in great shape. try jog -> sprint HIITs

And remembers, Insanity is based on interval training

You can use the outside world, the treadmill, the elliptical, or you could even do it with weights :)
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Its really good for building fitness I sprint for 30 seconds on 14 and then walk for 90 seconds on 6 then when I go to jog I find it so easy because im used to sprinting at 14. When I first started HIIT I was only sprinting on 12
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression if you could do it more than once or twice a week for 20 minutes you're doing it wrong?
    Sounds like standard interval training rather than High Intensity?
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    HIIT is good and I have had success, however lately I have done Tabata intervals and man do they kick my butt.

My husband and I do tabata too! First time I did them (about a year ago now) I had to sit out after the 3rd day because I nearly fainted LOL.
  • delco714
    Options
    high intensity is more relative to the individual's fitness level. it's more based on heart rate and max effort.

You could do HIIT everyday. 20 minutes is the standard but it no means the maximum.

HIIT relies on getting a high heart rate, resting so it comes under your upper zone, then maxing again to bring it back.

It is that cycle that conditions the heart and partly the skeletal muscles of the thighs and legs
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't have HIIT on my treadmill, which is new. Is this something I have to buy? Right now I've started doing interval training alternating speed, incline, back and forth. I just started this past week so will be interested to see results.

Mary
  • delco714
    Options
    ahhh Tabata.. the "end-all be-all" of HIIT training. Indeed a monster! When I muddled in tabata i had the treadmill on 9 and incline 2.5.. would step to the sides during the rest.. be careful and keep your safety in mind!

My husband and I do tabata too! First time I did them (about a year ago now) I had to sit out after the 3rd day because I nearly fainted LOL.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    high intensity is more relative to the individual's fitness level. it's more based on heart rate and max effort.

You could do HIIT everyday. 20 minutes is the standard but it no means the maximum.

HIIT relies on getting a high heart rate, resting so it comes under your upper zone, then maxing again to bring it back.

It is that cycle that conditions the heart and partly the skeletal muscles of the thighs and legs

ah, all these terms and stuff make my head muddled