Trying to stay motivated

Options
Hi all. I found this site a while back and have made a feeble attempt at actually getting a diet/exercise routine down. My girlfriend and I are both trying to lose weight, but being college students its hard to find the motivation to stick with it between work and school. I really want to lose weight and when I do stick with it, find the lbs dropping weekly, the problem is no matter how hard I try, I always revert back to old habits. IE: sweets, fatty foods, alcohol, soda, etc. I am a sugar addict.

I have also been fighting depression because of my weight and other things which makes it hard as well.

I am about 260ish, 6'3", 26 years old. I would ideally like to get down to about 220 minimum.

I have a bad knee from sports in my youth/teen years, so running is hard but I am trying to work back into it without killing my knee. The main way I like to do cardio is by riding my bike. I live in the central valley, CA so its very flat, but I try and get in the highest gear possible and get the best workout I can. Otherwise I like to do free weights, I am more conerned with losing weight than building muscle at this point, so I am mainly sticking with cardio and light free weight work outs.

Dietwise I am going for 6 small meals a day. My girlfriend hates monotonous diets which makes it hard. Trying to cut all sugar/soda/alcohol out of my diet, and mainly eat eggs, turkey, chicken, fruits and veggies. Also trying to cut gluten out of my diet because I know people that have lost weight just by cutting that.

Anyway, I am just posting to try and motivate myself to check in here daily and record everything I do. Every time I see my parents they just tell me how fat I am and how I need to lose weight then send me videos and articles which I guess is how they think they can motivate me. Unfortunately it just tends to make me more depressed so any possitive motivation I will gladly take. Thanks for listening.

-norcal4runner

Replies

• AshBashBumRash
    Options
    Thats a bit harsh of your parants
    ill add you for some support! :)
  • boocah
    boocah Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey, keep going and don't give up! How about setting aside one day of the week where you're allowed to have all your sweet things? It doesn't have as bad an effect as eating them all the time - it keeps your metabolism high and you'll probably eat less due to having it all at once. It also makes it a bit easier to stick to your plan the rest of the week.

If running hurts then I'd say stick with cycling, they're both good forms of cardio. :) Specifically having carbs about half a day before you do your exercise helps keep up your energy.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Glucosamine or joint support supplements might help you with your knees.

Just try to take it one day at a time, it's not going to be easy, but once you see changes in your body, that will be motivation in and of itself. Nothing is more motivational to me that to put on jeans and find them looser than they were a month ago. :bigsmile:
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Own your journey! Do it for you and no one else~ You created it.....you finish it! I know you can do it :smile:
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great cardio and resistance workout and its easy on the knees. Plus its great in summertime because you don't get overheated. :)
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy....so sad about your parents. I am a mom (47) and have kids (22), (20) and (13). I don't think I could ever be that cruel
    to them. How do they think that motivates you???? I like the meal ideas you have, that should help....and if you need some
    POSITIVE motivation, please friend. me. :flowerforyou:
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree w/Gabby, that's cruelty not motivaton fr/your parents. I eat fruits, veggies and leans meats and seafood and I am losing like crazy. I do Zumba for exercise. The eating is going to be your main sorce of weight lose IMO. I have another 45 lbs to go (I just found this site myself & I love it), feel free to add me. :)
    And I was going to say I have felt so much better as far as depression. My husband says he can actually joke w/me now. I have energy, even more if I get up and workout in the morning. I just planted a veggie garden today...I'm having a wonderful ride :)
  • norcal4runner
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, my parents have always been very supportive in terms of money when I was broke, roof over my head etc, but they dont really know how to be emotionally supportive. They do it with my sister too, they see criticism and pointing out everything that is wrong as the way to motivate us. They are the kind of parents that if I got a B on a test, they wanted to know why I didn't get A. When I do lose weight, they just say you need to lose more, etc.

I've learned to deal with it, but it is hard when all they do when they see me is ***** about my weight and how I need to lose more and more, like I don't already know this. Emotionally unsupportive but hey, what can I do.

Thanks again it is nice to hear everything you all said, it may not seem like much but it definitely helps.

Oh and for some good news I hadn't weighed myself in a while but I am actually 251 not 260 so yay for that lol.
  • mimyb
    mimyb Posts: 7
    Options
    whoo hoo!! well that must have been a nice surprise :) parents can be so unhelpful sometimes. My mum is the same...the first thing out her mouth every time she sees me is either "oh you've lost weight" or "hm have you gained some weight?" funny thing is...she is 10 times bigger than me! lol Anyway I'm going to add u for the extra support :) I'm new here too. Good luck with your journey