Lifting heavy - so is body pump worth it?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to dabble in strength exercises now that I've started to feel a bit fitter. I was already doing Zumba and Body Combat, but have added in two Body Pump classes a week. I started relatively low, but am starting to progress up the weights and I definitely find it difficult!

The free weights section of the gym is quite small and generally very busy at the time I go - I don't really have the time to weight around (lol sorry couldn't resist) so find pump a better option timewise.

However, the almost unanimous advice on here seems to be lift heavy, 6-8 reps at a time. Obviously body pump doesn't really fit into this description, but it obviously makes some difference because it is so popular, and I can feel the difference in my arms and legs (although to be fair, anything would make a difference to how they were!

So, what do you experienced people think of body pump? Is there some science/broscience behind it that makes it work?

Thanks - I'm curious!
Mel

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm starting to dabble in strength exercises now that I've started to feel a bit fitter. I was already doing Zumba and Body Combat, but have added in two Body Pump classes a week. I started relatively low, but am starting to progress up the weights and I definitely find it difficult!

The free weights section of the gym is quite small and generally very busy at the time I go - I don't really have the time to weight around (lol sorry couldn't resist) so find pump a better option timewise.

However, the almost unanimous advice on here seems to be lift heavy, 6-8 reps at a time. Obviously body pump doesn't really fit into this description, but it obviously makes some difference because it is so popular, and I can feel the difference in my arms and legs (although to be fair, anything would make a difference to how they were!

So, what do you experienced people think of body pump? Is there some science/broscience behind it that makes it work?

Thanks - I'm curious!
    Mel
    It's high repetition weight training. High reps build "muscle endurance" and not "muscle strength". To build strength you need to OVERLOAD the muscle which is why heavy lifting for 6-8 reps works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, so this is just my personal experience. In addition to cardio, I do one body pump and one p90x upper body a week. I've been doing this for several months. My goal is more shapely, defined muscles, especially in my arms and shoulders (We pears have to do what we can to balance the figure:wink: ) I have definitely seen an difference. And judging from some of the nice arms I see in body pump class, it's working for others as well. Yes, yes, I know it's probably not as efficient at building lean muscles as heavy lifting, but it's not without merit. So stick with it if you like it (It's very motivating for me, which increases the chance I won't miss a class.) If it's not enough, you can add some heavy lifting!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I like bodypump because it's fun, a great calorie burner, and I wanted to get into endurance lifting a little bit, as I can lift heavy weights for few reps really well, but when it comes to endurance stuff, I suck! :laugh: I would like to be good at both!

Heavy lifting will always win for me though if I had to choose. I lift heavy 4x a week, and go bodypump once a week. I see bodypump as more like cardio with weights. I wouldn't go there to see great improvement in my body and muscle definition. That's what heavy lifting is for! It's just for fun and endurance really.

Basically, depending on what your goals are when you say does it work?
    Strength = Heavy lifting is better.
    Muscle tone / definition = Heavy lifting.
    Muscle endurance = Body pump
    Cardiovascular health = Body pump
    Fun = Well, I prefer heavy lifting, but it's up to the individual, I enjoy both for different reasons.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I enjoy Body Pump to hit all parts of the body but know when I am in that class I am doing muscle endurance and toning. If you are new to lifting BP is a great way to get motivated and learn about proper form which then you can take out on the floor when you are ready to start lifting heavier with less reps. And the music is great!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks - I'm curious!
    Mel
    It's high repetition weight training. High reps build "muscle endurance" and not "muscle strength". To build strength you need to OVERLOAD the muscle which is why heavy lifting for 6-8 reps works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree with Niner, although I have some different ideas on Overload.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I started with BodyPump and now lift heavy.

I think BodyPump is a 'gateway' drug. I made a point of upping my weights every 2wks or so. I made progress.
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Body Pump provides a wonderful calorie burn along with the benefit of strength training. There is also the group dynamic that motivates you! If you enjoy it and it's convenient - you will more likely stick with it and reap the benefits:smile:
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do body pump 3 times a week and I have seen awesome changes! I have great definition in my arms and legs, the squats have done great things for my legs and butt! I also raise my left every time the reps become easy...even if it is just kinda easy. I plan on heavy lifting but I am buildin endurance and toning now. As a beginner it would be a great class! I would actually love to instruct Body Pump in the near(hopefully) future!
  • melissa2807
    melissa2807 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fab, thank you for all the replies.

So body pump will give me better endurance, burn a few calories, and make the (teeny tiny!) muscles that I do have a bit more defined - whereas if I was to start lifting heavier weights it would make me stronger and able to lift more weight.

I've read all the thread on here about lifting heavy, I've even bought the 'new rules of lifting' book and would love to get into it but BP is definitely more convenient at the minute. I've just seen on the website that my gym in having a refurb in the autumn though so maybe that will be the time! xx
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm kinda tired of people saying that the only way to build strength is high weight and low repetition. Of course that is probably the quickest way to build HUGE muscles - but for those of us that want to build endurance AND build up our muscles - low weight and high repetition is pretty damn good. I mean seriously, I don't think I could have increased the weights that I bench, squat, clean & press, curl etc if I wasn't building muscle. And my back muscles look incredible after just two weeks of the at home Les Mills Body Pump program.

So... yea - I think body pump is worth it.

Ashley Higashi, MPH
    1st year medical student
    Health & Fitness coach
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no clues on what you are selling. *rolls eyes*
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    sigh - i was just trying to point out how absurd it is to say that high reps don't build muscle. that doesn't even make sense. otherwise you would never be able to increase the amount of weight you use. you actually target MORE muscle fibers using higher reps.
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I love the "lift heavy" cliche. I don't think there are two other words that have been rendered more meaningless by constant repetition.

What is heavy, anyway? 90% of max? 80%? 79.5%?

I am with you, @Ashleysh22
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What is heavy, anyway? 90% of max? 80%? 79.5%?

Typically 80%+ of your 1RM. Some lifters may use 80%+ of their true 1RM or use a training max which is usually 90% - 95% of the true 1RM and then 80%+ of that. Make sense?

Edit: If you can find a copy of Charles Poliquin's "Modern Trends in Strength Training" he does a good review of the Strength / Force Curve and percentages associated. It's not 100% modern at this point but still very relevant.