Loose Skin Solution

Options
I have a question for future reference: Is there a natural way to tighten loose skin? Particularly in the belly area.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there isn't a magic solution to tighten skin. If your skin returns to a normal state or not will depend on.. well, your skin. How much elasticity is left in it. I will say that slow and steady weight loss WILL help, but at the end of the day how much loose skin you have left is just based on your own body.

The only place I have a little bit of extra skin is on my belly and it isn't bad. It means my belly won't ever be totally flat, but I'm okay with that. I've been lucky though that all the years of yo-yo dieting and such didn't do some serious harm to my skin's ability to go back to normal!
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just got off a 45 min 10 mile bike ride. that works
    JIm
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on a lot of things.. elasticity, age, genetics, how far it was stretched, etc.
    I have loose skin from my twin pregnancy (I was HUGE!) at 5 ft tall i was 4ft AROUND at 38 weeks. So, I have a lot of wrinkley excess skin, stomach muscles which have run in opposite directions and wont come back and a lovely umbilical hernia. I was told by doctors that no amount of diet and exercise will fix it. So, once i get closer to my goal weight , i will be getting it all fixed (& it will be covered, thankfully.)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Define natural...Arbonne makes a skin cream that comes in a big jar that does a pretty good job...I had lots of wrinkles accross my lower belly from multiple pregnancies and weight loss, and after about 2 months those were tightened right up, along with a major size reduction in my stretch marks. Also, none of that came back when I quit using it about a year ago, so the tightening was permanent. Arbonne Re9 Advanced Firming Body Cream - it's expensive per jar, but the jar is a good size and lasted me about 4 months, so overall a good bargain in my opinion.
  • jamesdc71
    jamesdc71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss with weight & resistance workouts on the areas you need most as you go will help but not guaranteed to work in all cases, I went from 242lbs to 133lbs over 2 years & have been left with very little excess skin that is only really noticeable now & again.
  • Mom23djd
    Mom23djd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have this same issue. May have to look into the Arbonne.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly, lots of exercise particularly strength training (swimming is also good), good hydration (both drinking water & moisterising skin), time, and hope that you have good genetics.

I carried most of my weight up front, so belly & chest have had some issues but with strength training & swimming it is improving.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I only have the issue on my lower abdomen really, and think that I am lucky after three pregnancies and the ten years of being overweight that its not worse at my age, but I would LOVE a tummy tuck, as i think its the only way to get rid of it, but toning helps I hear, I just need to do more of that.
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try looking into dry skin-brushing. I've heard that it can really help. I'm not far enough along in my weight loss journey to know just yet. But I've heard good things!
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Genetics, and moisturizing the skin are the biggest factors! Since there is no guarantee, but skin needs lots of moisture to maintain elasticity, and the fact that you're still young is def in your favor! Just be patient and keep up the good work!
    As far as moisture goes-- coco butter, vitamin E, avocado oil, amino acids. The thicker and creamier the better!
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    this is my problem, im 64 and have lost so far 4 and half stone, 63 pounds i think. yes im getting loose skin my arms my legs my boobs it looks real bad. but, my doctor said if i loose enough weight and keep it off for a year i can have it all removed. So, 4 more stone to go. By the way, creams wont work for me or exercise its age so the knife it is.
  • erinscribbles
    erinscribbles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss is number one, as everyone else has pointed out. The rest are all things that i have heard and trying out as I lose my weight:

1) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate

2) I have heard on many different message boards that strength training will help a little bit with this. I think it's more of a "fill the void with muscle" type thing.

3) I had a "Personal Trainer" at Planet Fitness who swore by the following routine (she said it came from a surgeon friend, she lost 105 lbs in her late 20s/early 30s and although I never saw her tummy, the rest of her tiny body was lean and tight): Shower in the morning and at night, cover yourself in Preperation H and cocoa butter after each shower. Apparently the "cooling gel" Prep H doesn't smell as bad as the regular stuff.

4) Instead of number 3. Just using a moisturizer after showering everyday could help. Another tidbit I have heard from multiple message boards.
  • kathyms13
    Options
    im trying to post a pic of my arm if it doesnt go on this thread please look at profile.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Saran Wrap
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's mostly genetics and age. I lost the bulk of my weight at age 23, so most of my skin sprung back pretty well (I lost 85 pounds total). I still deal with loose skin on my stomach, upper arms, and inner legs, though. I probably always will, though weight training helps. No one can convince me that any amount of cream or hydration will make it go away at this point. Sometimes you just have to learn to accept it and move on. (Sorry if that was too blunt of an answer)
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Define natural...Arbonne makes a skin cream that comes in a big jar that does a pretty good job...I had lots of wrinkles accross my lower belly from multiple pregnancies and weight loss, and after about 2 months those were tightened right up, along with a major size reduction in my stretch marks. Also, none of that came back when I quit using it about a year ago, so the tightening was permanent. Arbonne Re9 Advanced Firming Body Cream - it's expensive per jar, but the jar is a good size and lasted me about 4 months, so overall a good bargain in my opinion.

Where do you buy this?
  • kathyms13
    Options
    It's mostly genetics and age. I lost the bulk of my weight at age 23, so most of my skin sprung back pretty well (I lost 85 pounds total). I still deal with loose skin on my stomach, upper arms, and inner legs, though. I probably always will, though weight training helps. No one can convince me that any amount of cream or hydration will make it go away at this point. Sometimes you just have to learn to accept it and move on. (Sorry if that was too blunt of an answer)
    thank you,
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Check out the before and after's on my website.

XXX SPAM REDACTED XXX
    Please peddle your wares elsewhere. :angry:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    SPANX! Just kidding! :laugh:

Since I have been bike riding, I find that my tummy is a little tighter. :happy:

Of course, at my age, gravity is also an issue. :grumble: