so- the ONE thing about MFP that really bothers me...

Options

Replies

• cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    http://www.calculateme.com/Volume/index.htm

^ That should help with the conversion part :)
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Yeah its a best guess estimate. Most of the times I see that the MFP data pretty much matches whats on the package, and I say thats good enough for me. I think tracking is definitely better than not tracking. While I havent lost as much as I wanted to by now, its good to keep up with how Ive been eating and figure out ways to eat more often but eat better. These are things that will help me for life, not just to lose 40-50 pounds.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I only buy food with a barcode lol
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I find it much more irritating that 20 people have entered different values for the same thing...
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you can google to convert cups to tbsp. simply google 'cups to tbsp'

^^ this ^^

i agree that sometimes it takes me awhile to figure some measurements out, but i figure mfp is a *free* site - and the logging i've done since joining has made all the difference in my weight loss goals - so i deal with it - BUT the pasta thing is one i have to look up EVERY SINGLE TIME - haha
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here ya go!

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

And yes, the PASTA THING IS CRAZY!!! I am terrible at measuring dry things, so my estimates usually suck...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The user database is often rubbish. Have to double check the nutrition info on EVERYTHING too.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I find I'm using my kitchen scale and measuring in grams more and more. The measurements and data on the site seem more precise and easier to use to me. Pasta is still a pain, though. 85g dry is a common serving size on packages and yields vary according to the type of pasta.
  • LilMermaid6411
    Options
    Yes. This irritates me as well. The first entry for homemade italian bread is in grams. I had to scroll down until I found one that was by the slice. But, people are right when they say you can always enter the measurements yourself by creating a new entry. I usually find another option that has an easier measurement, but if this is happening to you often, it's probably worth the little bit of effort. In the end, it's a free site, so we get what we pay for.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the actual calories of pasta COOKED per serving is also listed on the box. So just measure it cooked and enter a new food yourself based on how much you eat. Also note there are several items posted under each thing logged in, if one is not the right measurement, go back and check the others, then if not, add your own. Thats what I do.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    the way MFP measures food- It drives me absolutely nuts!!! I'm trying to enter a recipe- the recipe calls for CUPS, MFP only measure the ingredients in TABLESPOONS... or CUPS to OUNCES (that one I can usually figure out :smooched: ) or GRAMS to any other measurements!!!!

Not just recipes either- how about macaroni- all the enteries give you UNCOOKED measurement- I cook for a family- I don't just make one serving at a time- I have no idea how my now COOKED pasta measured before I cooked it- I'm serving it COOKED!!!

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this?

I try to log in food, and end up searching the internet for the grams to ounces conversion!

Very frustrating....

End of rant!!!!

:flowerforyou:

Just keep YOUR conversion chart (Make One) near you when you enter. Also, 2 oz is 2 oz whether cooked or not...When You cook, look on Your package and get your info; as I said 2 oz is 2 oz cooked or not. If you cook 16 oz (1 lb ) (16 x 28grams)...Just do the math. This is no big deal, you are ranting nover nothing. Make your OWN Recipe entries for items. You are acting kinda Lazy. Eating Well takes a little effort.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    the way MFP measures food- It drives me absolutely nuts!!! I'm trying to enter a recipe- the recipe calls for CUPS, MFP only measure the ingredients in TABLESPOONS... or CUPS to OUNCES (that one I can usually figure out :smooched: ) or GRAMS to any other measurements!!!!

Not just recipes either- how about macaroni- all the enteries give you UNCOOKED measurement- I cook for a family- I don't just make one serving at a time- I have no idea how my now COOKED pasta measured before I cooked it- I'm serving it COOKED!!!

I try to log in food, and end up searching the internet for the grams to ounces conversion!

Very frustrating....

End of rant!!!!

If you don't like how another MFP member entered data, then take the time to create an entry yourself with measurements the way you like them. Personally I'd love an option to never see entries measured only in cups -- they mean nothing to me!
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Time to ditch tps, tbs cups, oz, lbs etc..... and use weight in grams..... and liquids in L.... much more precise anyway.
    And this way.... everybody on the same page and you will not be tempted to pack that cup just because you want more rice.....
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a refrigerator magnet that is a conversion chart. I use it often. It reads Cup = Fluid Oz. = TBSP = TSP = ml.

So 1 cup = 8 oz. = 16 tbsp = 48 tsp = 237 ml. It mwasures everything all the way down to 1/16 cup.

Amazon sells them for $7.56 link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Endurance-Kitchen-Cooking-Measure/dp/B000QSKTOI
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz. = 16 tbsp = 48 tsp = 237 ml.

I was beginning to be concerned when people were saying there were 28 tbsp in a cup and 3.5 in a quarter cup. The conversions quoted above are the correct ones.

Even if you don't know from school (ie not old enough to be taught miles, yards, rods, pecks, bushels, quarts, gallons, etc) a simple google search will tell you. So will a chart in the back of almost any good cookbook. Guessing when cooking leads to bad results.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I only buy food with a barcode lol

I love this- I agree! Makes it so much easier!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate chip cookies and measure my 3/4 cup sugar out by the teaspoon. I think it took 28. LOL

Three teaspoons in a tablespoon, four tablespoons to a 1/4 cup.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Very frustrating....

End of rant!!!!

Just keep YOUR conversion chart (Make One) near you when you enter. Also, 2 oz is 2 oz whether cooked or not...When You cook, look on Your package and get your info; as I said 2 oz is 2 oz cooked or not. If you cook 16 oz (1 lb ) (16 x 28grams)...Just do the math. This is no big deal, you are ranting nover nothing. Make your OWN Recipe entries for items. You are acting kinda Lazy. Eating Well takes a little effort.

Did you miss the part where I said I search on the internet for the conversions? I'm not sure why you think I am being lazy.

Why would you (and several other responders) feel it is necessary to take a LIGHT HEARTED rant about something and turn it nasty?

NEGATIVE reponses are not needed- and frankly just wrong-

Not just on this topic, but on so many others- why must you get nasty to people when the orginal post was not meant to be nasty-

Nasty/Negative people need to get a life-
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I find it much more irritating that 20 people have entered different values for the same thing...

I found this is because brands package and sell in different areas also brands like to change recipes/nutrition information/serving size often so I always look for a food that matches name and nutrition. If there aren't many choices I might edit or add mine.