Dr OZ

Options
just caught Dr. Oz for the first time... anyone follow him? is he legit or full of BS???

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    just caught Dr. Oz for the first time... anyone follow him? is he legit or full of BS???

Generally speaking his supplement and dietary advice is full of BS and additionally, he will often peddle a supplement claiming that it induces fat loss when it doesn't. Then, people will get on MFP and make posts about that supplement and often times people will buy the supplement and end up wasting time and money on another failed gimmick.

In short, he's an entertainer and while people may enjoy watching him, I would generally steer very clear from his dietary info.

EDIT: Inb4 someone comes in here defending him because he's "A Doctor!" and thus he must know more than I do.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Quack - he has sold out. He will peddle anything now it seems.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @Sidesteal, he has a show today an appetite suppressants. Just seems too good to be true. I just have fallen for this type of fads in the past, and they simply do not last.. temporary solutions
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Generally speaking his supplement and dietary advice is full of BS and additionally, he will often peddle a supplement claiming that it induces fat loss when it doesn't. Then, people will get on MFP and make posts about that supplement and often times people will buy the supplement and end up wasting time and money on another failed gimmick.

In short, he's an entertainer and while people may enjoy watching him, I would generally steer very clear from his dietary info.

^ This. He is definitely an ENTERTAINER, and talks up the products that he is paid to talk up. Also, it's a different product every couple of weeks- whatever is "trendy" at the time. If you just do your own research and use common sense, you should be able to make good decisions regarding fitness and nutrition "products."
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    drozquack.png

I am sure he's a good doctor when he's not on TV, but on TV he's nothing more than a talking head quacking away.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I agree, he is a quack at this point. Very much an alarmist too - my opinion. Reminds me of someone like Dr. Phil, in it for the money, entertainment, ratings, etc.

I have watched him a few times. Didn't he go all crazy recently about arsenic and apple sauce or apple juice and really it was just an alarmist piece of 'news' not backed by much facts or information? Correct me if I am wrong.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

^ This. He is definitely an ENTERTAINER, and talks up the products that he is paid to talk up. Also, it's a different product every couple of weeks- whatever is "trendy" at the time. If you just do your own research and use common sense, you should be able to make good decisions regarding fitness and nutrition "products."

AGREED! I have been doing so much better since I started eating cleaner and leaner. I do believe in supplements just don't like the whole lose 5lbs in 5 days ads... it just seems like fluff to me
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    when he wasn't on tv all the time, he had some good information, and was entertaining when telling you about it. since hes become sort of a sell out. show biz claims another victim.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    He does tout some stuff that is true, but I lost all confidince in/respect for him when he said htc actually works! Hawking stuff always makes me suspicious... which is why I tend to ignore stuff from mercola as well unless I can find documentation elsewhere.
  • apj79
    apj79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't watch him on a regular basis but I think he has some good advice. There are times when I do think he goes to the extreme but all in all he has my vote.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing- for the most part, the correct choices to make to lose weight and live a healthier life are neither interesting nor do they change all that often. Occasionally there's a product or a study that presents new information worth discussing, and lots of myths worth debunking. But that does not make for daily TV. He would be saying the same thing day in and day out!

The fact that his show exists with its format is proof that he's full of a lot of BS.
  • coachpzizzle
    coachpzizzle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like his show because, although he is totally an entertainer, he DOES provide some interesting facts. I don't take anything he says for gospel, but sometimes he has really interesting guests and topics to discuss. I'm a believer in a holistic approach, and he is pretty dedicated to addressing the psychological and emotional aspects of health and doesn't shy away from exploring the validity of non-traditional methods for seeking better health.

I say, take from it what you will. Just like with any "diet" or fad.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    @Sidesteal, he has a show today an appetite suppressants. Just seems too good to be true. I just have fallen for this type of fads in the past, and they simply do not last.. temporary solutions

If you like the idea of supressing your appetite I would suggest that you do so via food choice. For example, you may wish to look at ways to increase the volume of food you eat and/or be more mindful of satiety when choosing individual food items.

For purposes of example I will list a dish that I eat often when I'm restricting calories:

Tilapia (12oz to a full pound) fillets pan fried (not-breaded) in 1 pat of butter, with a whole yellow onion, 1 glove of garlic.
    3 to 4 servings of broccoli or green beans (steamed)
    A large bowl of spinach leaves topped with a whole cucumber, 2 oz of turkey breast, 2 tbsp of light italian dressing (in a gigantic serving bowl designed for a family).

That meal that I just listed is large enough that the average MFP user (not referring to most bodybuilders here) can't even eat it. It's too much food. We're talking about a pound of fish, a MASSIVE bowl of steamed vegetables (seasoned typically), and a gigantic salad. Not to mention I'm putting a big dent in my protein requirements for the day.

The amount of food I just listed is all low calorie items. I can literally stuff the hole in my face with all of that food, burp, smile, and go lay on the couch, and giggle as I still have tons of calories left over for later.

I'm posting this just as an example. If I were to have chosen a cheeseburger and fries instead of the above meal, I'd run out of calories faster, I'd be less satisfied in terms of fullness, and I'd not contribute to my protein macro as fast.

This doesn't mean "avoid junk food", just to be clear on that. I'm just illustrating a strategy that you can consider when choosing food, so that you remain full on less calories, allowing you to eat for volume.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I really used to enjoy watching and I still do. I just no longer take his word as proof. He is entertaining, but we'd all go broke if we used every food item, exercise program or supplement that he "advertises". I agree with previous posters about his entertainment value and the variety of guests and topics and that he delves into non-traditional science somewhat. Just do your research!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options

EDIT: Inb4 someone comes in here defending him because he's "A Doctor!" and thus he must know more than I do.
    This. He used to give solid info on Oprah before going on his own. It's night and day now because it seems lots of his stuff now is full of BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Seems like every time I hear him on TV he has these "magic weight loss" secrets! I mean come on, how many weight loss secrets can there be?? LOL!

I personally think he's full of it! And the sad thing is, people fall for what he say's!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I used to think he was the real thing, but over time he seemed to change to a commercial monger. JMO
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    quack.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

If you like the idea of supressing your appetite I would suggest that you do so via food choice. For example, you may wish to look at ways to increase the volume of food you eat and/or be more mindful of satiety when choosing individual food items.

For purposes of example I will list a dish that I eat often when I'm restricting calories:

Tilapia (12oz to a full pound) fillets pan fried (not-breaded) in 1 pat of butter, with a whole yellow onion, 1 glove of garlic.
    3 to 4 servings of broccoli or green beans (steamed)
    A large bowl of spinach leaves topped with a whole cucumber, 2 oz of turkey breast, 2 tbsp of light italian dressing (in a gigantic serving bowl designed for a family).

That meal that I just listed is large enough that the average MFP user (not referring to most bodybuilders here) can't even eat it. It's too much food. We're talking about a pound of fish, a MASSIVE bowl of steamed vegetables (seasoned typically), and a gigantic salad. Not to mention I'm putting a big dent in my protein requirements for the day.

The amount of food I just listed is all low calorie items. I can literally stuff the hole in my face with all of that food, burp, smile, and go lay on the couch, and giggle as I still have tons of calories left over for later.

I'm posting this just as an example. If I were to have chosen a cheeseburger and fries instead of the above meal, I'd run out of calories faster, I'd be less satisfied in terms of fullness, and I'd not contribute to my protein macro as fast.

This doesn't mean "avoid junk food", just to be clear on that. I'm just illustrating a strategy that you can consider when choosing food, so that you remain full on less calories, allowing you to eat for volume.

One of my nutrition professors wrote a book on this called Volumetric Eating (that's the name of the concept, I'm not sure of the name of the book) by Barbara Rolls
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you want to read a good Dr. OZ book (before he became a sell-out) read "You on a Diet". Its actually chock full of good information. I would say that it seems like he has become a peddler more than a Doctor.