Any former Weight Watchers followers?

Options
I switched last week from Weight Watchers to myfittnesspal because I just felt like I needed a change. So far I really like it and this week I lost 4.2 pounds :happy: I know that is a bit much, but I'm sure it's because it's my first week on something new and the losing will start to slow down. Just curious if anyone else has switched and if so how you feel this is better (or not) from that Weight Watchers.

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I lost 63# on WW back in 2001. I love their programs and think that they really do work... however I stopped going because I couldn't see paying $12 a week to weigh in in front of a complete stranger when I could weigh myself for free. I still use many of the tools that I learned from WW though. Back then I needed others to show me what to do... Now, I need MYSELF :flowerforyou:
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP because the new PointsPlus system just was not working for me. The P+ calculations just didn't make sense to me like the old Points did, and so I had a very difficult time following the plan.

I am just counting calories now, and I have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • KL124
    KL124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I switched, and I like MFP way better. I think the website is way easier to use, and I like that it also has a tracker that I can use on my iphone. Weight Watchers didn't work too well for me because I eat tons of fruit, and I also eat too many carbs. I could eat 600 calories worth of carbs and max out my points for the day, or I could also eat 1200 calories worth of fruit without using a single point. That's just me though :)
  • dianemass
    dianemass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have always done Weight Watchers, but I agree,,, why weigh in front of someone you don't even know and pay them $12. You can do the same here at MFP and get support, motivation and people to cheer you on along the way. It works for me! I have lost 7 pounds.... but slow and steady wins the race !

Diane
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My wife was into WW for years, paying for their online system. I don't think she ever actually attended a session, she just used the "points" system. Her eventual source of frustration with it was that "points" kept changing so all her expensive tools kept becoming obsolete, and she had to keep paying a subscription fee to calculate "points" and keep up.

Other than that carp, I will say - it works. I used her tools to calculate "points" for a while and kept track of mine on a spreadsheet, and lost weight. They do a good job of simplifying weight loss, but in the process you never really learn GOOD eating from them, and you're dependent on them to some extent to keep the weight off (yes, you learn good versus bad foods, but in order to make good choices long after you've lost the weight you still need to keep track of your food, and the only way they want to teach you is via "points" so you keep coming back).

The only real difference between MFP and WW-Online is that MFP uses an industry-standard measurement of energy (kilocalorie or "calorie") and gives you tools to track carbs, fat, and proteins and allow you to bring them in balance. It takes a little more work than "points", but you learn more about your food in more detail. And you can keep doing it after you've lost the weight without paying a membership fee, and using information found on every nutrition information label (not just the labels from the companies that pay licensing fees to WW and can show "points" on the label).

I like what WW is doing, and they are honestly helping people. But I like MFP's educational approach much better.
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW who got to my goal weight only to slowly gain it all back. I reached my goal before they changed the program to their current one, fruits free etc. I loved their program, but the cost, even their e tools is not free to lifetime members which I think is a mistake. I have found much better success with the old fashioned way of losing, eat less and move more. It is WAY easier to track food on your smart phone and MFP. I also love the community of friends that I have met and think it is about the same as attending meetings and weighing in in front of someone. I really look forward to posting my achievements here!! Hope you are having success. I know this is it for me, I am losing for good and it is NOT coming back!!!!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I tried WW. Only lost 6 pounds in 2 months and I was starving myself. Always hungry, I also ended up with low-grade anemia that was back in 2002 or 2003. Since then I've gained about 40 pounds and lost about 25

Now on MFP I've lost 5.4 pounds in just under a month and I never go hungry.
  • QueenKatherineElizabeth
    Options
    I tried WW in 2009. I had lost 10% of my body weight when I was doing there program. I thought it was ridiculous though to pay every week to weigh in front of a stranger also. However I still kept the books but I doubt I will try it again. MFP is great and I have lost terrifically with this program that I can't believe this site is free. I'm so glad this site is free and has so much support!!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Former WW here as well. I did gain the weight back but it was very successful for me as I lost over 60 pounds. I just found that I was not following the program anyway but watching what I eat and why pay that sort of fee ? I like MFP. It teaches you to be accountable for your own actions and not depend on anything else. Free is always good in my books.
  • xaveria2
    xaveria2 Posts: 62
    Options
    I tried the points program in 2009 for 6 months and didn't lose any weight. My body doesn't tolerate carbs or sodium very well and that seems like what most of the diet was. When I was in 5th grade I was on the really old WW diet and did well but the weight loss didn't work once I stopped going to meetings. I am doing better with MFP than with anything I have tried in years.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with the old WW point system and the new WW points. The switch at first was frustrating but I kept at it until it made sense again. Myfitnesspal just seems more pratical and FREE! Every label has the calories and other information such a sugar and protein and you don't have to pull out any tools to calculate point.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just switched last week, though I had been doing them both for a while. For the most part, they seem the same to me. Still tracking, logging, and counting. The difference is that now I'm not paying. Love free stuff.
  • lisseth82
    lisseth82 Posts: 28
    Options
    I like the user friendly tool of MFP but I follow WW method on not counting "some" fruits and vegetables and I'm still able to lose :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I switched quite a while ago because I didn't want to pay to lose weight. I thought, I should be able to do this myself. I got fat all by myself right??? LOL

What I have found is that WW just showed me how to eat things High in fiber but not necessarily good for me. Which I suppose could happen here as well with Calories but with the forums, I have learned to really look at my labels. I eat a lot cleaner now than I ever did on WW.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did WW back in 2007/08 I worked the program for 6 months. I busted my *kitten*. I stuck to the plan, I ate right, exercise EVERYTHING and only lost 20 and I was exhausted all the time. I eventually went to the DR. Told her what was going on. She said I needed to find an exercise that didn't tire me out so much. That was a hard blow. I was so mad. I worked so hard and that's the best advise she could give me. I was sooo mad! So I left the DR. and WW. And never looked back.
    I'm doing much better on MFP then I ever did on WW.
  • fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to love WW. Lost 41 lbs years ago following the program, but having babies ruined that. Ha! When I tried WW again after having children, it never clicked for me. I was ALWAYS hungry. So I always failed.

Now I eat low sugar / low carb, tracking with MFP. Never hungry, and the weight is falling off. Much happier! (And I'm not wasting my money on meetings that annoyed me.)
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have done WW several times over the years and I really like the program, but I think it is very expensive.

I hate chocolate/desserts, but as soon as I start a diet I crave nothing but sweets. I have decided I am going to make a life style change instead of a diet. I am going to eat what I would like but make healthier choices and watch my portion size. Instead of eating 2 plates full, just eating 1.

Before I never really incorporated fitness into my diet and I have joined a gym and am working out every other day.

It is all about creating new habits and re-learning things. :)
  • cfloyd72
    cfloyd72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used WW more than 10 years ago and during the following 6 months only lost 10 pounds. I didn't like weighing in front of someone and the money got to be too much. I started MFP last year and have been going on and off since then. I have found that measuring my food and exercising everyday not only helps me to lose weight (down 31 lbs so far), but also makes me feel so much better and have more energy. This is also the best way to change eating habits to last the rest of your life.:laugh:
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a former WW. I was successful on WW. My schedule is such that it is very hard to make meetings. When a friend told me about MFP I tried it and loved it. It's very similar to the WW Points+ Plan but you count calories instead of points. I don't agree with fruits being 0 points on WW.

WW is a good program. However, if you can do it yourself, save some money and give MFP a go!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I lost about 80 pounds on WW (at work, so it was free) in 1997. Then I quit doing it (after about a year) and gained it all back, plus some.

I lost about 100 pounds on WW online in 2005. Then I quit doing it (after about a year) and gained it all back, plus some.

Right now, I don't want to pay for something I can do on my own. I feel like I have all the tools and accountability I need here on MFP, for free. I've lost about 140 pounds so far, and I'm currently lower than I was in 1997. I've been on MFP for a little over a year, and have definitely slowed down, but I'm not stopping the healthy living. I plan to keep going to get to a truly healthy weight, and STAY THERE. That ongoing motivation is something that WW couldn't give me--it has to come from within.