jillian michaels is boring

Options
WifeNMama
WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
I have the dvd "jillian michaels for beginners", which I got a while back. It has 6 interval training circuits, and the one I tried was a good workout, just incredibly boring. White background, no music, a lot of talking but it was like I was eavesdropping on a conversation. I don't need a fireworks show and an overly peppy trainer, just a bit of personality.

My question is, are all her dvds the same thing? I've heard about and seen pics of great results using 30 Day Shred, but is it just as bland?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have Ripped in 30, and do it once a week or so, because while I find the workouts to be good, they're short, and I find her annoying. I do believe there is background music, peppered with a lot of talking and macho acting, and two 'minions' (one doing basic, one advanced).
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I have the beginners video too. It is slow and boring. I turn off the volume, turn up my iPod and jump around in between circuits while she blabs on and on. I picked up 30 Day Shred from the library and it is more of her annoying voice but it moves faster.

Beware of talking smack about Jillian. Some people on MFP go nuts for this lady and get very worked up with any negative comments about her. Not sure why.
  • danyeld619
    danyeld619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a few of her DVDs..30DS, Body Revolution, No More Trouble Zones just to name a few. Honesty after I do a routine one time through, I use my own music or watch a show on my laptop while I work out. She gets repetitive and a little boring if I don't distract myself a little.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Maybe i'll give her another go... My other dvds are starting to get too easy, so I need to change it up.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Maybe i'll give her another go... My other dvds are starting to get too easy, so I need to change it up.

It's not against the law to mute her and play some good music once you have the routine mastered. ;)

Of course, once you have the routine mastered, you can also skip the DVD and just incorporate elements of it into your own workout to music you love. If you're sweaty, you're burning calories.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    30 day shred isn't that bad. little rest time between her circuits. There is some background music in the back but throw in a cd or something if you're in your house or put on your iPod. I do listen to her when she's counting down of how many more we have to do.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think her other vids seem like more fun (I really like them), and its perfectly normal to love/hate Jillian (or just hate) most people I know love her workouts (shred, ripped, 6 pack, killer buns) but they also tend to imagine that are smacking her in the head with some of the moves LOL!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I choose the JM workouts because they are fast, not exciting.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think her other vids seem like more fun (I really like them), and its perfectly normal to love/hate Jillian (or just hate) most people I know love her workouts (shred, ripped, 6 pack, killer buns) but they also tend to imagine that are smacking her in the head with some of the moves LOL!

I think a lot of the most effective workouts are ones where you want to kill the trainer who is abusing you. Anger = adrenaline = more calories burned. I think a lot of personal trainers just don't dare because you'd actually be hitting them rather than your television set. :tongue:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think her newer ones are better and more fast-paced. I've got 8 of her workouts (one is from the library, so it's temporary), and I rotate through them to keep boredom at bay. If you can get them from your library it's a great way to preview them before buying, so you don't buy one & end up not liking it.

My favorites:

6 Week Six-Pack
    Killer Buns & Thighs
    Kickbox FastFix
    Ripped in 30
    Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
    Yoga Meltdown
    Shred It With Weighs (haven't done this one in over a year, not sure why)
    Extreme Shed & Shred (this one is from the library, but I may end up buying it)
    30 Day Shred - this was my first Jillian DVD and it kick-started my fitness journey. I loaned it to my mom and she still hasn't (don't think she's tried it yet, though! LOL)

I like that the workouts are different lengths, different intensities, and some are more cardio, some are more strength, so I can pick and choose depending on what I want to do that day, and by how much time I have.

If you still can't stand her or find her boring - buy Bob's workouts instead! :laugh:
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    She has a DVD called yoga meltdown and the only downside to it is she says things that make me laugh while I'm in the poses. For example: "Whose your daddy" when I am doing a burn hold that involves balance it literally throws you off. Oh Jillian....
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love Jillians videos... compared to others hers is not so bad!
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've only done 30 Day Shred and am in the last week of her Ripped in 30. I might be in the minority when I say this, but I love JM! hehehehe... The workouts in those 2 DVDs are short but VERY effective. I turn the volume down, only because I have napping kids while I workout. :D
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you still can't stand her or find her boring - buy Bob's workouts instead! :laugh:

This, I agree with. I have a whole bunch of his stuff. I love him. Hate him while I'm working out, but love the work he forces me to do.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I know on her 30ds dvd if you go to options you can choose just to have the music and no voice, she will still appear to be talking but you can't hear her, and shes pretty easy to lip read when she says 4 more seconds, or give me 5 more, etc. My workout was pretty peaceful with out the talking this morning.
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have 2 of her videos: the beginners one, and "ripped in 30". i like the fast pace of ripped in 30, and the fact that it is different weeks, but i also like some of the moves in the beginners one. I agree that she can be kind of boring, but it is worth it because i feel great after. definitely try one of her different movies as they are definitely faster pace and less boring than the beginners one.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    All DVDs will become boring at some time...that being said~

top of the boring list for me is Debbie Siebers (Slim in 6)...pretty girl, good moves, dry personality, ugh!

Jillian sparkles next to her!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian`s DVDs because they are fast and effective. She gets results....and results are what I want! She isn`t my favorite person to listen to every day, but she gets the job done and she knows what she is talking about :)
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

This, I agree with. I have a whole bunch of his stuff. I love him. Hate him while I'm working out, but love the work he forces me to do.

I totally agree. I have Ripped in 30 and while it is a good workout, I honestly prefer Bob's style. Jillian really gets on my nerves. I was surprised because outside of the DVD I love Jillian...Bob's workouts are challenging too, I had a few choice words for Bob this past weekend, but I thank him for it everytime I'm done.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Never heard of her (sorry) until I started 30 day shred :blushing: I've almost finished Level 2. I just get on with it :drinker: