Question About Running

Options
I ran my very first full mile, on Saturday. This is something I never accomplished, even in high school; I always half way jogged/walked, in usually 18 -20 minutes. I've been walking at 3.5-3.7 mph on the treadmill for a couple of weeks, 4-5 days a week. I'm also doing 30 DS. I managed the mile (12 minute) on Saturday, but really struggled today-only made it .5 miles before slowing down. I did day 2 of level 2 of the shred this morning (muscles getting used to this level?) and did not eat breakfast, but my question is about a pain in my leg. I know for any medical advice I should seek a doctor, but I do not have any other health concerns and I'm pretty sure it has more to do with something I'm doing. I am getting a sharp pain running along side the left side of my left shin-enough that I don't want to ignore and push through-but I'm wondering if I'm just being weak-and should push through? I've dealt with what I believe are shin splints, and that pain seems to run along the right side of my shin-almost a "bruised" feeling along the shin. This is more in a muscle (sorry, I am terrible with muscle anatomy names) Sorry this question is not structured very well-having trouble explaining it in type with a million other things to do today :) Any ideas, or suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

Dawn

Replies

• tiffiemariee
    tiffiemariee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me, but never did know why. I recently started trying to run again and haven't had that problem yet. The two things I'm doing differently this time: I'm wearing much better fitting shoes, tied tightly; and I'm walking for about 5 minutes before doing any running. Hope this helps.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would try bumping up your potassium intake. It can make a big difference with muscle cramps. Plus it's easy solution- I'm all for trying the easy solutions first!
  • WindmillSong
    WindmillSong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions :) I think my shoes are still ok-less then a year old, Saucony (sp?) I had thought of going back to Runner's Block to see if they thought it could be shoes, but figured I would check here first :) I do know I need to bump up my other vitamins and minerals, so I wouldn't doubt my Potassium being low.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into the C25K training. It could be you are pushing to far too fast. Slow it down and let your body catch up to your cardio condition.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You said you had already done a workout that morning, and hadn't eaten breakfast. That could be the problem right there. Your muscles can cramp from not enough fuel (food) or dehydration (water).
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure your shoes are the right fit too. I had the exact same issue, and a new pair of shoes helped. Make sure you are stretching the muscles after you run and do research on your stride as well. If you aren't running in good form you could be overusing the muscle. The C25K programs is fantastic too!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    shin splints....wrong shoes for your gait...a few things. Use ice and do more intervals. Also..tiger balm...you can thank me later :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions :) I think my shoes are still ok-less then a year old, Saucony (sp?) I had thought of going back to Runner's Block to see if they thought it could be shoes, but figured I would check here first :) I do know I need to bump up my other vitamins and minerals, so I wouldn't doubt my Potassium being low.

Might be worth going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. Just because your shoes aren't old doesn't mean they're the right shoes for your body/stride/running style.

Also, always stretch before and after you run.

Also, check out this great thread on shin splints, they can be either the outer OR inner part of your shin. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

Edit: Copied this out of the link I posted:

"There are two types of shin splints, and the cause (and treatments) differ based on the location of the shin splints.

You've got Anterior Shin Splints (which is pain along the front of the shin) and Posterior Shin Splints (Pain along the inside of the shin).

Anterior Shin Splints are typically (but not always) caused by some sort of over training. Either by increasing mileage too quickly, or running on hard surfaces.

Posterior Shin Splints are typically caused by over pronation. Which is most easily corrected by proper shoes or orthotics."
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is excellent to start running. I think your pushing too far too fast. I've had shin splints myself, not fun. I second what katcod1522 said, ice and more intervals. It sounds like your shoes are from a running store, but if not, I highly recommend getting fit at a good store.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have just started running-- using C25k after I started having some issues with my knees. I think you are getting some good tips here. Just wanted to tell you how much the ice is really helping me. Also, I dropped it down a couple of notches.. slow and steady seems to be the way to go :) I am not hurting and I am progressing-- I can see the changes in my pace and ease of my run. coolrunnings is the name of the website to check out couch to 5k (c25k). I thought that it was going to be too easy for me when I jumped in at week 3. But, it was the perfect start for me. A little easier (i thought) than what I had been attempting.

Good Luck. ICE ;)
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting good leg stretches in before you run.
  • lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    Def shin splints!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I was having lots of crazy leg/ shin/ knee/ foot pain when running and it was becoming constant. New, supportive shoes have stopped that! Don't forget to stretch after both running and your other workouts.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting good leg stretches in before you run.

I respectfully disagree with this. Stretching "cold" muscles can lead to injuries. Flexibility training is progressive, it does not have to be done before or after any other workouts to be effective, but can be done any time of the day to give benefits.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I found that the shin pain is something you just have to put up with for a month or so of running (unless it's really bad like a torn muscle). I am sure you know the difference between discomfort and that though!

Something to be aware of is your knees, if you feel pain across your kneecap or along the side of it I would call it a day for that session. I ignored a similar pain ovr Christmas and it was a week before I could walk without limping!

I don't want to put you off though - sounds like you are doing really well.

Can't go wrong with Couch 2 5k as a beginner's program (echoing the posts above)
  • WindmillSong
    Options
    What's embarrassing is, over the past year I have started, and stopped C25K several times...Always making it to the week that has the 20 minute run, and chickening out to go back to 30 day shred and walking. I have been keeping active between those things, or bike riding...so figured I *should* be able to run 1 mile, if I had done up to that point of C25K several times :embarassed: My shoes are from a running shoe store-the guy had me do the walk over their little computer analyzer thing, and reccomended these shoes, or Aasics. I've had Aasics in the past, and really enjoyed them as an "every day walking, but not working out in" shoe, but running in them did not feel right-so I took them back and got these Sauconys. I have wondered if I'm doing "too much, too fast" so maybe I do need to step it down a notch. The times I was doing C25K, I was running at 4.5 mph...when I did my mile on Saturday, I ran at 5 mph-mainly because of research suggesting (the way I read it) to have the proper gait-go at a faster pace. I *think* I'm landing heel first-but for some reason it's hard for me to be really sure. When I was looking that info up, it was because of my shin splints-and reading that striking heel first often causes it.

So the pain on the other side of my calf can still be a shin splint then... :frown:

Oh, and the only stretching I did was at the end of 30 DS, then had to run upstairs to start my son's feeding pump and get him organized, then went back downstairs to hit the treadmill.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run 5-6 times a week (usually about 3-4 miles) and I'm on day 16 of the 30DS. I'm starting to experience shin splints too, and it's from doing too much, too fast. The 30DS is pretty high impact... lots of jumping and lunges. I feel like I've come too far to quit now, so I'm cutting back my runs to 2-2.5 miles and only 3 or 4 days a week until I finish the 30DS. Hope that helps, and good luck! :)
  • WindmillSong
    Options
    Thank you :) I think I'm going to keep going with 30 DS, (not doing it in 30 days, this round) and switch over to my bike-my husband brought my bike in and put it on the trainer, so I will work on that for a little bit, and try to go back to running, slowly. I would like to eventually do 30 DS *in* the 30 days, lol!