fruit and sugar????

Options
I have concerned about the amount of sugar that I am consuming eating fruit several tiems a day. I never really noticed it until i canged the setting on MFP to show sugars. If i eat an apple and a banana in the morning, I am done consuming sugar for the day. I dont see how eating fruit can be that bad as opposed to other ways I couldbe eating sugar.

Any thoughts????

Replies

• skipresimont
    Options
    I never count my sugars from fruit
  • elastar33
    elastar33 Posts: 6
    Options
    Personally, if most or all of my sugar is coming from fruit, then I don't worry if I go over on MFP. Fruit has a lot of other healthy benefits and a lot of fiber, so I wouldn't worry. Some diets out there tell you to restrict fruit because of the carbs (sugar mostly) but I think that any diet that doesn't let you eat fruit is pretty crazy. Think about the amount of calories for how much you're eating compared to most other foods! Fruit is a great way to feel full and content on a calorie deficit. :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You have a couple options: ignore it because MFP doesn't separate added sugar or natural sugar. You can just remove the setting from your diary, or you can raise the setting so you don't see all that red (AAAHHH). You could also cut back on the fruit maybe just the apple OR the banana and something else for breakfast. Personally the sugar in fruit and veggies doesn't even bother me because it's accompanied by fiber, vitamins and minerals. Added sugar is all I try to limit.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Your body just sees sugar. Of course we all know fruit has other nutrients besides sugar, whereas sugar has nearly no nutrients at all other than it is sugar.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic (among other issues) and am on a strict low sugar diet. My Dr. says that sugar is sugar, regardless of where it comes from. I am limited to the amount of fruit I can eat and have to stick to berries mostly because they are high in fiber and lower in sugar than other fruits such as watermelon and oranges. Yes of course a piece of fruit is WAY better for you than a candy bar because of other nutrients they have BUT if you are watching your sugar intake, you still have to be careful. Fruits will still raise your blood sugar levels, just some dont raise it as badly as others do. I dont know the website off hand but if you are concerned look up "low glycemic fruits" and it will tell you the fruits that will have the least effect on your blood sugar levels and contain the lowest amount of sugars and highest amount of fiber. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE oranges and watermelon and they are off limits for me. :( Good luck.
  • MDyck1979
    MDyck1979 Posts: 21
    Options
    I feel your pain. I always thought the more fruit the better and any diet that would tell you to restrict healthy items like fruit must be whack. HOWEVER - pound for pound, fruit does pack a much larger caloric whallop than veg - if you are getting the majority of your 5 - 10 servings a day from fruit, you may want to re-think how many pieces you are chowing down. I used to take at least two pieces of fruit with me to work and typically had one for sh-nacky after dinner - this is actually TOO much fruit, according to my dietician. As I am sure you are aware, a regular sized gala apple can run you 180 grams (2 servings according to CFG) and 100 cals, forget the sugar part. I have since replaced the extra work fruit(s) with a baggie of chopped veg - WAY less calories, WAY less sugar, still TOTALLY satisfying. My goal these days is to keep it to just two pcs - one with lunch and one for evening munchies = still getting roughtly 3 - 3.5 servings out of those two pcs!!
    There are TONS of awesome veggies that can dble as a fruit fix - my latest obsession is SUGAR SNAP PEAS!! Nummmmy!