Strength training @ home

Options
So, here's the deal: I'm just beginning my fitness journey and I'm lacking confidence to workout outdoors and lacking funds to join a gym. I bought a home treadmill to get in my cardio in the comfort and privacy of my own home, but I don't know what to do for strength training.

I currently have...
Two 2 lb. Weights
One 5 lb weight
A resistance band
And a yoga ball thing, which besides doing crunches on it I really don't know how to use it.

I really want to tone my arms, tighten my stomach and legs. I have a rind bum and don't want to lose it, the bigger the better in
fact!

So any home workouts ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! :D

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There are balance ball execises you can find online. Push ups,planks, lunges and squats are all things you can do for strengtheing. This is just things I do at home, not a serious strength trainer or anything :)
  • lacystucky
    lacystucky Posts: 22
    Options
    I'd like to hear everyones ideas also.
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    you can buy a dvd program for strength training, that's what I 'm gonna do. I have p90x and chalean extreme, but haven't done either one of them yet, since I want to do cardio for about a month (turbo jam) and then mix them up.
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money, somebody here recommender a program that is only $20.00 and is like the cheap version of p90x, I don't remember de name.
    Good luck
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Chuck the two pound weights! You could use 5lb for some exercises, depending on how fit you are already. Buy some 10,12, and 15lb dumbells and get to work. I strength train at home and am in really good shape. People always comment on how toned my arms, shoulders, and back are. You don't need a gym to work out.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Anything that combines lower body and upper body will make the upper body with 5 lb weights seem harder. Try squats while you do your bicep curls or really anything else.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you're committed to working out only at home, I'd start with TV workouts if you have "On Demand" service. I had a hard time sticking with them (early mornings), but I liked some of Cindy Whitmarsh's & Chris Freytag's routines. There are some Jillian Michaels/Biggest Loser workouts sometimes too.

After a few weeks, you'll probably want heavier dumbbells though. My husband used an adjustable set when he did P90X, they're like little barbells, that you can add or take away weight.

I've joined a gym though for treadmill & elliptical access (don't have room in my house for one, never mind both), and recently started New Rules of Lifting for Women (http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336415912&sr=1-1), which advises lifting heavy to build muscle, which in turn will help burn fat.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    get some heavier weights.

This is pretty awesome plan using body weight:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    this is my workout at home.

30 day shred- jillian michaels (only 20 minutes, all you need are weights and maybe a mat if you have hardwood) I just use 2 5-lb weights.

after the 30DS I plan to get her other 30minute dvd's alot of ppl recommend. I think its called Ripped in 30.

and then I get on elliptical for 30 minutes.

The end.

At gym, which I recently got a membership through my job. I go 2 times a week.

I do 30 min on treadmill, with spurts of running, and most time at a high incline.

Then 30 min weight circuits.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I work out at home too, I have a treadmill, stationary bike and an elliptical, for the strength trng part, I have all different hand weights, kettlebells, you need to get some dvd's to follow, I have tons, currently as we speak I'm doing Jari Love, love her as well as many others, it's fun to follow along and see results........
  • elisabej
    elisabej Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your current abilities at the strength level, I would start small with the 30D Shred and the 2lb weights are a great start. If you figure after a few days that you need more weight, then get another 5lb weight and move up. Be very careful that you don't move yourself up too fast with weights that are too heavy or you could tear something. Just because someone else works with 20lb weights doesn't mean your body is ready to.
    Most importantly, Good Luck! Find something that you enjoy and challenges you and you won't get bored. :)
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Chuck the two pound weights! You could use 5lb for some exercises, depending on how fit you are already. Buy some 10,12, and 15lb dumbells and get to work. I strength train at home and am in really good shape. People always comment on how toned my arms, shoulders, and back are. You don't need a gym to work out.

I'm worried about lifting heavier weight and bulking up. Mind you, I carry my son around quite often and he is 30 lbs. I just want toned defined arms that are femine. Will heavier weight ad bulk?
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I will check this out tonight before my workout, thanx!! :D
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    I've heard the 30 day shred is really good. I'll look for it the next time I'm at Wal-Mart. :happy:
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'm sure it's a lot more challenging than it looks, yet it looks easy enough not to be scary :)
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this link! I've never lifted and this looks like a good starting point... I need to build up to the medium weights before I can get to the heavier weights...
  • rds532
    rds532 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump - want to watch the video when I get home!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I'm worried about lifting heavier weight and bulking up. Mind you, I carry my son around quite often and he is 30 lbs. I just want toned defined arms that are femine. Will heavier weight ad bulk?

I use 10, 15 and 20lbs dumbbells. I am looking to move up in weights for some moves actually.
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Will be referring back to this info in the future, thanks everybody!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    All i have is 2 10lb dumbbells, I use these to do squats then lift them over my head as I stand straight again...
    Also, I have started a calendar for the month of may where I do side planks, regular plank, lunges, jumping jacks, pushups, scissors and curls...it takes about 15-20 minutes and all you need is yourself and 2 dumbbells!

You have to increase the the time and number after a little while though, so when it starts getting easier step it up!

I started doing 10 sec side planks, 10 pushups, 20 alternating lunges, 50 jumping jacks, 20 curls (on each arm) 20 scissors (-on each leg) 1 regular plank for 30 sec....

I increase the times of planks every couple days, as well as the number of pushups....
    as for the jumping jacks/curls/scissors/curls/lunges--take a little longer to get used to so I increase them once a week.

hope that helps :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

definitely won't bulk up. It is actually pretty hard. You need to eat a surplus plus women naturally can't do it with out some of extra hormones. I lift heavy and I have gotten smaller.