I am a RUNNER!

Options
TheKitsune6
TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
Finally I feel like I have a real success story!

Last year I quit smoking and started C25K. For years I believed I could never be a runner because of my exercise induced asthma. I clung to that excuse hard because... I wasn't ready. Then I saw a picture of myself and decided enough was enough - I can at least try. It took me a while to finish C25K. I spent almost a full month on one "week" working my way through it. Finally I did it!

After that I started doing some runs with a co worker and she said "Hey! Let's train for the Safari Park Half Marathon!" I had no idea what to say, I was terrified! But I agreed and after tons of research we started our training in December. It has been HARD. There has been pain, blisters, injuries, realizing the need for GOOD SHOES and how expensive they are! I've been emotionally through the wringer and come over better for it. I spent one long run puking for two miles before I finally had to stop.

Yesterday I successfully ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 21 minutes. My average pace was 10:48 minute mile. It was amazing. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I will definitely do it again.

Never give up! We are limited only by what we choose for ourselves!

FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED! After completing the C25K plan, I roughly used the plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml on that website. My running partner and I customized it to fit our schedules a bit better - what we ended up with was: Hills on Tuesday, Speed on Wednesday, Feel good relax 4 mile run on Friday, long run on Saturday (sometimes Sundays if other plans got in the way).

Replies

• Whutto1
    Whutto1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Such a great story. Congrats!
  • 360nomore
    360nomore Posts: 11
    Options
    THAT is fantastic. i am so inspired bu this! i started doing the C25K last year, but around week 5 stalled out. i am back to 290 pounds and afraid to start again. i know I was more fit when running and you inspire me to want to do it again. thank you.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's awesome to hear!! What a great feeling!
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep up the good work!
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    Wow, congrats! My long term goals are to run a 1/2 and then a marathon someday. Awesome job and great pace!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. So, when is the full marathon? LOL.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    fantastic! you should be super proud.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Finally I feel like I have a real success story!

Last year I quit smoking and started C25K. For years I believed I could never be a runner because of my exercise induced asthma. I clung to that excuse hard because... I wasn't ready. Then I saw a picture of myself and decided enough was enough - I can at least try. It took me a while to finish C25K. I spent almost a full month on one "week" working my way through it. Finally I did it!

After that I started doing some runs with a co worker and she said "Hey! Let's train for the Safari Park Half Marathon!" I had no idea what to say, I was terrified! But I agreed and after tons of research we started our training in December. It has been HARD. There has been pain, blisters, injuries, realizing the need for GOOD SHOES and how expensive they are! I've been emotionally through the wringer and come over better for it. I spent one long run puking for two miles before I finally had to stop.

Yesterday I successfully ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 21 minutes. My average pace was 10:48 minute mile. It was amazing. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I will definitely do it again.

Never give up! We are limited only by what we choose for ourselves!

Congrats!! That is an awesome story of personal achievement through hard work and determination!!
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    OK, I think you are my new hero... lol.... I'm trying to do the exact same thing... i quit smoking a few weeks ago along with the diet... I have about 100 lbs to lose but just started the C25K on Saturday... today will be day Week one day 2... I'm really glad to see that you did it!! :) thanks!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. So, when is the full marathon? LOL.

Haha! I've decided the half is my limit, I just don't want to invest the time in a full marathon. I like doing the half's and some obstacle courses (Did Warrior Dash and coming up next is a 10k mudrun!)
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Having just completed something similar myself I can attest to how hard it truly is. Congratulations to you on your awesome accomplishment!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful, wonderful accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself! Keep up the good work and I'll be watching for your, "I ran my first marathon" post! :happy:
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Awesome success story!!!

I just recently started a running program and I figure it will take me a long time to really be able to run.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    THAT is fantastic. i am so inspired bu this! i started doing the C25K last year, but around week 5 stalled out. i am back to 290 pounds and afraid to start again. i know I was more fit when running and you inspire me to want to do it again. thank you.

You can do it! I always recommend the program, sticking to it can be hard but YOU CAN DO IT! :D
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    congrats! I run my first half marathon on June 2nd.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    This is great, congrats are in order for you on an amazing job! You ARE a Runner:flowerforyou:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    WOW! You are a rock star. That seems like a very impressive pace for your first half marathon. Great work - very inspiring.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Wow, congrats! My long term goals are to run a 1/2 and then a marathon someday. Awesome job and great pace!

You can totally do it! Just remember to slowly increase your mileage (we generally added .5 to 1 mile per week to our long run) and don't forget to train speed and hills (seperately)!!
  • Twybecker
    Twybecker Posts: 2
    Options
    Congratulations!! You set a goal, worked through some major obstacles and acheived it!! Congrats! enjoy your success, get some good recovery rest and set your next goal. :) As a runner myself, I understand that feeling of pushing through a long training run and seeing the results at the finish line. You are a runner!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!