Trouble using my calories each day...

Options
JillSandm
JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
HELP!!!

I never thought I would say this, but most days I have so many calories left at the end of the day that I make stupid food decisions trying to use those calories. I'm not nearly hungry enough during the day to eat 1700 calories consistently (1400 base, plus around 300 from exercise). I usually end up grabbing ice cream or butter popcorn (or a Snickers bar!) to try to use my calories, but that can't be helpful for weight loss.

What are some ways that I can increase my calorie intake as the day progresses so I don't have so many left at the end of the day? Or, what are some "end of the day" snacks I can eat with good conscience to use up leftover calories?

My diary is open for anyone who wants to poke around... Beware this last weekend - we had company and ate out a little, so that's not typical eating. Today's intake is a pretty good example of my usual daily intake.

Thanks for any ideas you guys have. You all are awesome!!!

Replies

• js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Raw nuts are a good high calorie snack. Half a cup is somewhere between 300-400 calories. I sometimes buy the raw cashew, almond and cranberry mix from Target.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I might have to try a different nut. I frequently eat 10-20 almonds in a day, spread out. But they are only 70 calories per 10 almonds! Will check into walnuts or something (not a cashew fan).
  • miss_september
    Options
    Nut butter with a banana, or on whole grain toast, tortilla chips with avocado, cheese, protein bar...
  • zoeelizabeths
    zoeelizabeths Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting 1200 calories net, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about not eating those calories, unless you really want to. However, good snacks that will help fill you up are things such as nuts, greek yogurt, etc. Things high in protein.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    It looks like you need more complex carbs in your diet.

Oats in the morning - brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. with lunch or dinner
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my go to when I need more calories... Any nuts, peanut butter and celery or avocado would be good calories.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ericborchert
    ericborchert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also at 1400 and I burn 500 to 800 calories in exercise almost everyday. I do not worry about eating those extra calories from working out, I just stay within 1200 to 1400 calories. This creates a calorie deficit and will lead to better weight loss. As long as you eat and record over 1200 the app won't ***** at you about your body going into starvation mode. Good Luck!
  • gfuller46
    gfuller46 Posts: 20
    Options
    Try adding veggies to your eggs by making an omelete instead of boiling your egg.
    Bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, turkey bacon and maybe a tsp of olive oil or cooking spray to cook with may be good if you like these things.
    You also could eat nuts if not allergic. An ounce of almonds is 160 calories or pistachios an ounce is 170. Eat also more than one piece of fruit for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try an apple and orange or an orange and/or banana.
    You may also look at my food diary if you like. Thanks for sharing yours.