Oatmeal

Options
mes1119
mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
Looking for some easy and preferably natural ways to spruce up plain oatmeal. I'm not scared of eating a little extra calories in the morning. Extra protein is always okay...

..ready...go! :smile:

Replies

• vitamindesi
    vitamindesi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OMG. Best thing ever. I've become an oatmeal fanatic lately. Here's a few ideas. (All you ought to use milk with...tastes better, is better!)
    1) Throw in some cocoa powder, a banana and some peanut butter.
    2) Mix in a dash of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, slivered almonds, agave nectar and some sliced apple pieces, some vanilla yogurt to top.
    3) sliced apple and brown sugar!
    4) sliced strawberries and two tablespoons of fat-free vanilla yogurt.

Let me know if you like these! They're my favorites to play with.
  • 4Nancynow
    4Nancynow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try the cocoa powder. Also what is nice is raisins, pumpkin spice, blueberries!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I already make it with milk, which surprisingly helped with the taste. It just seems so bland either way.

I tried the peanut butter but I didn't like the consistency. I love the cinnamon idea with almonds and apples...YUM! and strawberries and yogurt. I will definitely try that, thanks :smile:
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm planning an oatmeal feast on Saturday :)

Fresh fruit (peach slices, rasberries)
    Nuts (walnuts)
    Seeds (flax)
    Dairy (mascarpone)

That's my plan but you could go all over the place if you get creative with those categories. Think papaya, blueberries, pecans, roasted almonds, shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, creme fraiche...
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate chips!!! :love:
  • caecias
    caecias Posts: 1
    Options
    How about some different kinds of grain along with the oatmeal? I've been trying Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal and I'm enjoying it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've done the PB, banana, and cocoa powder. YUMMM
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder, cinnamon, fruit, nuts, honey, sugar/brown sugar, protein powder, milk, greek yogurt
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love mine with fresh raspberries and sweetener (I am a Splenda girl). I've also had it with just PB, which is good.
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    My favorite is just a little brown sugar, cinnamon, ground flax, pecans and dried tart cherries. I put the cherries in while it is cooking and they plump up and are sooo yummy!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My new fav is refrigerator oatmeal! Cold oatmeal did not seem appealing to me... but it really is fantastic! It is so easy to make and grab the next day.

Check out this thread:
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580422-refrigerator-oatmeal-overnight-oatmeal-i-finally-tried-it
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Parfait: layer cooked oatmeal with yogurt and berries, top with a little cool whip. Got this from HungryGirl. I use Carbmaster yogurt to keep the sugar down.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    my 'go to' preference for oatmeal is steel cut oats, topped with honey, sliced almonds, fresh raspberries and a tiny splash of milk (oats prepared with water, no salt)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ My Protein Oatmeal ~

1 Cup of Steel Oats ( Old Fashioned ) ... NEVER instant ! The real one's only take a few minutes in micro !
    1 Scoop of Protein Powder ( I use Healthy N Fit - 100% Egg Protein - Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor, 133 cal and 30 g Protein )
    1 Pink Lady or Jazz Apple cut up
    ¼ cup of a nut energy medley with raisins
    Sprinkle cinnamon all over the top !

I love this " Power Breakfast " .... and it gets my protein numbers off to a great start !

* Sometimes I add fresh blueberries too ... and on the side I eat 3 extra large Strawberries ! Mmmmmmmm ......

:flowerforyou:
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump to get more ideas. Thanks y'all!
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    fresh berries of any kind or dried cranberries--YUM
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I seasonalize my oatmeal.

Right now I used half (or whole banana) with a drizzle of honey over it. FAN-TAS-TIC.

During autumn, i like to chop up apples, mix them with cinnamon and (yes this is bad) sugar. I use that apple-pie filling as oatmeal topping. We make loads of apple pies during that season so I alwaysh ave lots of leftover and it's the msot amazing and satisfying oatmeal ever LOL.

Any pie filling is great as a toppign to oatmeal -- it's like having the pie withotu the bread LOL.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I loved using chocolate hemp protein powder in my oatmeal. SOOOO yummy.

I've used a packet of apple cider to add flavor, too. It was a good choice.

Fruit is always a good call.

I've also used oats in smoothies, it was also a good call.