PCOS and weight loss

Options
Hey all. I believe I have PCOS (not verified yet) and seem to be struggling to lose weight. I mean, I AM but it's so slowly. I workout daily and don't eat more than 1200 calories a day (most days!) so I'm wondering if there have been any others with this issue and how you've managed to lose more effectively.

Replies

• annika27
    annika27 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have PCOS. It is hard, but it is still possible! I recently fell off the wagon and gained a lot of weight back. But before I went from a high of 195 down to 165. It was a slow process, but sticking to the 1200 calories a day will do it! Also, if you get diagnosed, you may be put on medication that may help with weight as well.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well, that's comforting!

I didn't know there was a. a medication and b. it would help with the weight.

I know it's somewhat recent and during a miscarriage recently, they told me they saw cysts so I'm fairly sure I have it. I just need to go to the doctor then.

Thanks!
  • carolynbonacci
    carolynbonacci Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed almost a decade ago so I have been through it all. It is very upsetting to find this out but I can see from your pic that you have a baby and I am SO happy for you!

I would first recommend talking to your doctor. When I was first diagnosed my old doctor was NOT supportive or helpful, BUT then I found my current physician and she is AMAZING. I always struggled with my weight despite being very active. My current physician put me on Metformin which initially helped me lose weight with exercise and some diet modifications. Eventually I learned that making healthy food choices and giving my body what it needed is paramount.

Everyone with PCOS will tell you to watch your carbs and this is true. HOWEVER, it is not realistic and ultimately maintainable to cut them out all together so what you need to do is moderate. Try to find complex carbohydrates and eat these at the right time when your body needs them and knows what to do with them (i.e. in the morning for breakfast or after a good workout). Be sure to always balance a carb with a healthy complete protein. Also, try looking at some diabetes meal plans and checking the glycemic index.

Finally, you should look at your BMR (basic metabolic rate) and make sure that you eat at least those calories everyday. If you starve your body entirely you will put your metabolism into emergency lock down mode and it will keep storing all those carbs that PCOS makes it harder to digest properly. It may work in the short term but what you want is a long term life long healthy plan. I know on myfitnesspal it says I only lost 2 lbs but this is my 3 year anniversary of treating my PCOS properly and trying to help change my life and when this started I weighed 277 lbs. Today I weigh 185 lbs.

I hope this helps and good luck with your healthy lifestyle!
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    My doctor was not very helpful with my weight loss concerns- she seemed quite content to just hand out the diagnosis and send me on my way.

That said, I have found some decent online forums and am finding success with a blend of herbal supplements.

A little back story- Diet and exercise for a year with only a 10 lb weight loss. 3-5 days a week with elliptical, treadmill and weights + religious calorie counting.

within a month of starting the supplements I lost 5 lbs- with little or no exercise! I've since lost another 6 as of my last weigh in. I am continuing with my supplements and finally returning to regular workouts. I was just so discouraged with my failures I needed a break from the gym. I cannot wait to see my results now that I have some hormonal help!
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What supplements are you taking?
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    i'm taking a three herb mix of dong quai, evening primrose & chasteberry, black cohosh, b complex and fish oil.

the 4 herbs (the first four of the list) work together to stabilize hormones and are used by some women during menopause. The reason I'm taking all of them is that the ones that reduce androgen/testosterone can cause too much hair loss, so the together they are more balanced. omega3s are good for you in general and proper b vitamin intake can help not just with PCOS but with weight loss in general. I highly recommend you do your own research and come to your own conclusions. Then, get a month's worth and give it a shot.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, my Dr has been very helpful. I was on Glumetza (long lasting Metformin) for quite a while to help stabilize my sugars so I could lose weight more normally, but I had to go off of it because the combo of that and my Lyrica for Fibromyalgia it made me gain about half of my 64 pounds back, in three months! Its not been easy. So I kept gaining just on that med so I was taken off of it, so I'm trying to lose weight again but being in so much pain makes exercise very difficult for me. But, I do what I can and try to keep my diet perfect so we'll see if it will budge.
    Anyway, what DID work for me before the meds was eating low g.i. (foods that are low on the glicemic index), the book 'The G.I. Diet' is a great tool. I did that for about half my weight loss and I needed a kick start before my cousin's wedding so I stopped eating carbs, except for veggies, no sugar, no fruit, It was very hard! But I felt great as maid of honour in Cuba at my cousin's wedding. During this time I was also taking Kickboxing and Core Pole 5-6 times a week, extreme exercise...but then I pushed too hard and activated my Fibromyalgia and it's been downhill from there!

So now I am back to no carbs, no sugar and now no dairy except cheese, and no gluten (the last two are to try to help my Fibro symptoms so I can try to get my life back!)
    I would suggest finding some type of interval exercise or high impact to lose at a regular pace, but keep in mind, when losing weight it is 80% what you eat,10% exercise and 10% genetics. So if you are able to control your diet and be really strict you will lose the temptation for sweets and carbs, takes a couple weeks to form a habit, but I'm on my 3rd week and can say no to anything put in front of me. this makes weight loss easier because you feel you finally have something you can control!
    Good luck!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Definitely speak to your Dr. about Meformin. I have struggled for years to lose and I got put on that and it has been 6 months and over 85 lbs lost. That is also with 1,200 day and restricted carbs so it is not a miracle drug. BUT it did help me with carb cravings.

I don't think that the no carbs is sustainable (kudos to the long term Atkins peeps but I can't do it). Mine are restricted which means I am not allowed above 75 net per day. That is liveable. Up the veggies and spend those precious few carbs on fruits and not waste it on breads and you will be good.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It will take you longer, but it's absolutely doable!

I just posted my 1 year progress today. I hope it gives you the encouragement you need!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588678-1-year-on-mfp-lots-of-pics